+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US land border without Copr

g980452

Dec 20, 2017
Hi, All,
My PR just expired in Dec, I plan to go back to Canada in Jan. I did not meet RO. I had a US visa. According to the previous posts in this forum, the best way is to cross US land border with CoPR.

But my CoPR is not with me. I only had expired PR Card. My question is can I use only the card with passport to cross US land border? Supposed POE has all my information when I show up PR card.

Thanks a lot.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you can. You have high chances of being reported. If you are not separated or when you were not separated previously you were a resident for tax purposes. Actually you could have been with just your child in Canada. Have you ever filed your Canadian taxes or consulted CRA about whether you are a resident for tax purposes for the past few years? Have you seen each other in person since reconciling? That would certainly have influence on whether she can sponsor you soon. Otherwise the timing is a red flag.

g980452

Dec 20, 2017
Yes you can. You have high chances of being reported. If you are not separated or when you were not separated previously you were a resident for tax purposes. Actually you could have been with just your child in Canada. Have you ever filed your Canadian taxes or consulted CRA about whether you are a resident for tax purposes for the past few years? Have you seen each other in person since reconciling? That would certainly have influence on whether she can sponsor you soon. Otherwise the timing is a red flag.
Thanks, Canuck78.
Did you means the high chances of being reported is because I did not bring a COPR? How about bringing a copy of COPR? Currently my copr is in Canada. If the original is a MUST, I will get it by courier.

I thought you might see my previous post. I am still separated now. I didn't file tax and also did not consulted CRA. What did you mean 'the timing is a red flag'? What timing? Please advise. thanks.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Thanks, Canuck78.
Did you means the high chances of being reported is because I did not bring a COPR? How about bringing a copy of COPR? Currently my copr is in Canada. If the original is a MUST, I will get it by courier.

I thought you might see my previous post. I am still separated now. I didn't file tax and also did not consulted CRA. What did you mean 'the timing is a red flag'? What timing? Please advise. thanks.
No, the CoPR is not the issue. They can look you up in the system without it. The main issue is the fact that your PR card is expired and that you don't meet the RO.

As for the timing, I believe what canuck78 alluded to is that it seems suspicious (from the CBSA's point of view) that you wish to go back and reconcile right after your PR card expired. It looks like you may be using that reason simply to convince CBSA to let you in without being reported.

Reactions: canuck78 and k.h.p.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are returning because you’ve reconciled but you haven’t reconciled. You do still have a child in Canada. Did you contact CRA when you left to see if they considered you a PR for tax purposes?

g980452

Dec 20, 2017
No, the CoPR is not the issue. They can look you up in the system without it. The main issue is the fact that your PR card is expired and that you don't meet the RO.

As for the timing, I believe what canuck78 alluded to is that it seems suspicious (from the CBSA's point of view) that you wish to go back and reconcile right after your PR card expired. It looks like you may be using that reason simply to convince CBSA to let you in without being reported.
Thanks, Keesio. I would not say the returning reason is just to reconcile. It's financial reason although this can not be accepted by CIC. But it is the truth.

g980452

Dec 20, 2017
You are returning because you’ve reconciled but you haven’t reconciled. You do still have a child in Canada. Did you contact CRA when you left to see if they considered you a PR for tax purposes?
thanks. I did not contact CRA. I normally filed tax in home country. Will this tax issue be bothered by CBSA?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Thanks, Keesio. I would not say the returning reason is just to reconcile. It's financial reason although this can not be accepted by CIC. But it is the truth.
The issue is convincing CBSA. If you can do that and they let you in without reporting you, then you passed a big hurdle

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks. I did not contact CRA. I normally filed tax in home country. Will this tax issue be bothered by CBSA?
No it isn’t an issue with CBSA but could be an issue with CRA. If they determine you were a resident for tax purposes for the past 3 years you will owe quite a lot of taxes. You will have to speak to CRA and look at the tax treaty with your home country.