NDVO
App. Filed.......
26 Apr 2013
AOR Received.
4 June 2013
Med's Done....
Mar 2013 (ecas update on 16th Dec 2013)
Passport Req..
June 2013 (Requested ltr submission and then submitted on 17th Dec 2013)
VISA ISSUED...
IP - 25th Oct 13 & DM - 19th Jan 14
LANDED..........
12th Feb 2014
Hi Friends,
My wife who is a canadian citizen has applied for my PR and the app is in the final stages now.
I live & work in USA on H1B visa(IT industry) which is valid for 3 more years. I am in a dialemma how to go about with my next step after getting canadian PR.

Is it better to do just the landing formality first , come back to US and keep looking for jobs in canada from US while I am still working here in US (Is this really possible, can I just get an offer over phone interviews. Rmbr I am looking for Software jobs)
Or
Should I start settling down and look for jobs (My wife and her parents who all are working are encouraging this option. Glad that they are more than willing to accomodate me till I settle down, but I prefer to live on my own with my wife immediately)
Or
Can I look for jobs even before I get my spousal PR and allow myself the luxury of landing in canada with a Job offer.

Awaiting valuable inputs of experinced members :)

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I had a similar experience and I left my job in the US. I regret it. I should stayed at my job in the US as long as the visa allowed and my PR status in Canada allowed.

I wouldn't move until I find a job in Canada. You have quite a bit of time to apply for jobs, network and find a job in Canada.

It took me about 7 months to find a job in Canada and if I would do it again I wouldn't move until I secured a job or some serious leads.

You can land on the last days of your immigrant visa validity and leave the country and your friends/family in Canada can send you the PR card. After that you can be a Canadian PR since your wife is a Canadian citizen and living with you outside of Canada.

You can come to Canada on your own terms when you get a similar job in the US.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Since your wife is Canadian, you stay out of Canada as long as you are married. The only issue if you want to apply for citizenship you will need to reside here at least 2 years to qualify for citizenship as far as I remember.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
And you can land pretty much anytime since your wife is Canadian and fulfilling residency requirement to maintain PR status is not an issue for you.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
Dejaavu said:
Since your wife is Canadian, you stay out of Canada as long as you are married. The only issue if you want to apply for citizenship you will need to reside here at least 2 years to qualify for citizenship as far as I remember.
the above is completely incorrect, complete nonsense.

Because your wife is a Citizen , you can live outside of Canada indefinately as long as your Canadian Citizen wife is living with you (otherwise for only up to 3 years out 2 in canada in each 5 years).

If you are in US on your own and your wife is Canada this time is not counted toward your residency requirement.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
Dejaavu said:
And you can land pretty much anytime since your wife is Canadian and fulfilling residency requirement to maintain PR status is not an issue for you.
Again, completely incorrect statement above.

You have to land with your CORP document before the expiry date of the CORP. Right after you can go back to the US. Note that if your wife is not residing with you in the US you have to maintain your residency requirements (2 out of each 5 years in Canada).

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Jomz,

I meant to land anytime before the expiration of the immigrant visa.

I agree that he has to live with his Canadian wife outside of Canada to maintain PR status.

As for applying for citizenship, living outside of Canada with a Canadian spouse does not count towards 1095 days for the citizenship application.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applying-for-canadian-citizenship-whilst-living-abroad-t121033.0.html

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Jomz,

"Since your wife is Canadian, you stay out of Canada as long as you are married. The only issue if you want to apply for citizenship you will need to reside here at least 2 years to qualify for citizenship as far as I remember." is not nonsense.

If you are married to a Canadian citizen and you are a PR you can live outside of Canada with your spouse and maintain your PR status as long as you are married and living together. Please read the whole three answers before calling it nonsense and incorrect.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
Dejaavu said:
Jomz,

"Since your wife is Canadian, you stay out of Canada as long as you are married. The only issue if you want to apply for citizenship you will need to reside here at least 2 years to qualify for citizenship as far as I remember." is not nonsense.

If you are married to a Canadian citizen and you are a PR you can live outside of Canada with your spouse and maintain your PR status as long as you are married and living together. Please read the whole three answers before calling it nonsense and incorrect.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
Dejaavu said:
Jomz,

I meant to land anytime before the expiration of the immigrant visa.

I agree that he has to live with his Canadian wife outside of Canada to maintain PR status.

#3As for applying for citizenship, living outside of Canada with a Canadian spouse does not count towards 1095 days for the citizenship application.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applying-for-canadian-citizenship-whilst-living-abroad-t121033.0.html
All correct. Just from what you posted before it read he can live as PR outside while his wife is in Canada, because this is where she is now. Not with him.

As for # 3 above, I wish they counted it LOL I want to work outside Canada (Im a citizen) sponsoring my husband for PR, but I dont want to delay his Citizenship :(

Robin_Pandey

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
26 Apr 2013
AOR Received.
4 June 2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
12th Feb 2014
Thank you for the responses.

And Yes I am definitely a lil bit concerned about my career.
Suddenly leaving US at once makes me feel uncomfy.

Please also answer the below.

Being a software programmer would I be able to secure a job in canada while residing in US, like taking phone interviews only, from Canadian employers. Is that common among employers in canada. I mean to say, will they hire people just over phone/video conference. Or may be atleast do the above first and then call the candidate for in-person intrw as a last round.

Secondly, Even before getting the PR and even before I land, does it make any sense to start a job search. Would I be considred for interviews as a future resident or do I have to obtain my PR status first and only then I should proceed.

Thnx in advance

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
As for the first question, I do not know since I am not in that field.

As for the second question, you should be fine. If they ask you if you have work authorization in Canada, you can tell them you are about to get a PR status and it should be fine. You will need to get a social insurance number (Canadian version of social security number) before you start working.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
It definitely does make sense to start a job search and have 'feel' of the job market in your area of expertise.

Robin_Pandey

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
26 Apr 2013
AOR Received.
4 June 2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
12th Feb 2014
Thnx buddy,
Yah I think I should start searching, but wondering whether would my CV be even filtered or not If I mention that I am a US resident and also with my Ph nmbr they would know where I am right now.

Well anyways, plz suggest me some nice job search sites...I'll give it a try...