+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Green Card Holder to Canada

workpermit777

Oct 15, 2018
Hello,

I am asking this question on the behalf of a friend. My friend is currently in the process of getting his PR in Canada. His parents are Green Card Holder's of United States. Is there any way they can come to Canada and get a work permit so they can work in Canada and live with him or is that not possible?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am asking this question on the behalf of a friend. My friend is currently in the process of getting his PR in Canada. His parents are Green Card Holder's of United States. Is there any way they can come to Canada and get a work permit so they can work in Canada and live with him or is that not possible?
If they can get a job offer that falls under NAFTA then they can apply for a work permit with just the job offer. Otherwise an LMIA is required along with the job offer to get a work permit. Finding employers willing to go through the LMIA process tends to be next to impossible.

Reactions: k.h.p.

workpermit777

Oct 15, 2018
If they can get a job offer that falls under NAFTA then they can apply for a work permit with just the job offer. Otherwise an LMIA is required along with the job offer to get a work permit. Finding employers willing to go through the LMIA process tends to be next to impossible.
Thank you. Another question I had was I understand they can live in Canada up to 6 months per time. Can they go back to the US for a week and then come back for another 6 months at any time?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you. Another question I had was I understand they can live in Canada up to 6 months per time. Can they go back to the US for a week and then come back for another 6 months at any time?
How long anyone can stay in Canada would be determined by CBSA at the border and a 6 month stay is never guaranteed for a visitor. If they stay 6 months exit and then return after a week expecting another 6 months then CBSA may suspect they are trying to live in Canada as visitors and deny them entry or issue a restricted stay. So whilst they can try they should be aware of the risks and should not imply they are living in the country but just visiting so for sure not turn up at the border with a car full of all their belongings.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They cannot live in Canada. They can only visit. What you’ve described may work once, but sooner or later they will be told to stop or refused entry to Canada. Again, having a green card doesn’t entitle them to live in Canada. What you’re describing isn’t visiting. It’s living here without authorization.

Once he makes enough money from a job in Canada he should look into a super visa. Won’t let them work in Canada but will let them stay longer.

Last edited:

workpermit777

Oct 15, 2018
They cannot live in Canada. They can only visit. What you’ve described may work once, but sooner or later they will be told to stop or refused entry to Canada. Again, having a green card doesn’t entitle them to live in Canada. What you’re describing isn’t visiting. It’s living here without authorization.

Once he makes enough money from a job in Canada he should look into a super visa. Won’t let them work in Canada but will let them stay longer.
Thanks. The thing is that they are old and alone in the States so they just come to Canada to visit me thats why I was thinking they can go back for 3-4 weeks and then coming again to visit me and go back for a few months during winter time.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thanks. The thing is that they are old and alone in the States so they just come to Canada to visit me thats why I was thinking they can go back for 3-4 weeks and then coming again to visit me and go back for a few months during winter time.
If they consistently do this, CBSA will eventually tell them to stop, or order their exclusion from Canada. They are not supposed to be living in Canada on a visit entrance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Again, what you're describing is not visiting Canada. It's living here. They should be spending the majority of their time outside of Canada if they want to ensure no issues at the border.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Weren’t they alone prior to you coming to Canada ? Or were you in the USA?
I’m always perplexed that individuals go thru the steps to immigrate to Canada , then when they are here , they suddenly remember their folks aren’t here with them and that they’ll magically be allowed to come and live with them, no questions asked.
Remember the steps you had to take get authorization to live here , around about the same for the folks

Last edited:

melylags

Star Member
Nov 25, 2018
To add to this, your parents also risk losing their US PR status if they are out of the country for extended periods of time. Their entries and exits from the country with both US Customs and Canadian customs would be recorded and US immigration officials would be able to tell that they are not spending a reasonable amount of time as residents of the US.