+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Green card and Canadian PR

DavehM

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
Hi,

I am a US green card holder. My Canadian PR application has been approved. I was wondering if I land in Canada and become a Canadian PR, will that cause any issues for my green card? Quite frankly I highly doubt that I will move to Canada to live there, so I would like to make sure that I will not risk my Green Card by landing in Canada and becoming a Canadian PR.

Thank you

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I am a US green card holder. My Canadian PR application has been approved. I was wondering if I land in Canada and become a Canadian PR, will that cause any issues for my green card? Quite frankly I highly doubt that I will move to Canada to live there, so I would like to make sure that I will not risk my Green Card by landing in Canada and becoming a Canadian PR.

Thank you
So, the obvious question is:
Why would you even bother? Are you thinking of using your PR status simply as a way to enter Canada without needing a travel visa?

It's no secret that maintaining both PR and GC status is difficult, though not impossible. Canada is much more generous in that you only need to spend 730 days in each rolling 5 year period in Canada to maintain PR status. Not so for the GC requirements, which are 6 months every year (I believe).

I have read several posts from those with PR and GC status being questioned (from CBSA and CBP) regarding their status in `the other' country, but it is not illegal to have both, as long as you understand the rules.

But again...why even bother if you` highly doubt' that you will move to Canada...which is what PR status was meant for.

DavehM

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
Quite frankly I do not intend to settle in Canada given I have my Green card now. But I have gone through a lot to just squander the immigrant visa and let it go. I am pretty sure that I will not maintain my Canadian PR as I will be living here in the US. But you never know what will happen in the future and I might as well get the PR card for the sake of it. My concern is whether it will affect my Green Card or not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Quite frankly I do not intend to settle in Canada given I have my Green card now. But I have gone through a lot to just squander the immigrant visa and let it go. I am pretty sure that I will not maintain my Canadian PR as I will be living here in the US. But you never know what will happen in the future and I might as well get the PR card for the sake of it. My concern is whether it will affect my Green Card or not.
You're probably better off posting this question to a US immigration forum.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As usual you will likely get a lot more pushback from US immigration fir pursuing PR with a green card. Not illegal though.