+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US financed car- moving to Toronto temporarily WP-Registration Issues?

Jan 15, 2012
Hi,

Great forum.

I am in California right now and am being transferred to Toronto on some work assignment next month. My intra-company transfer work permit is under process. I will be staying there for 8 months to a year. I plan on coming back after my assignment.

I would appreciate a few pointers:

1) I have car financed from capital one till 2014. Can I drive my car to Toronto through the border without importing it?
2) Do I have to register my car in Toronto, Ontario? My title shows lien holder is Capital One.
3) Do I need to pay off my car for it to be registered in Ontario?
4) I have insurance from Farmers. Will it cover my stay in Canada?

Any help will be awesome.

spuri

Aug 20, 2014
I am in a similar situation. I moving to Sherbrooke temporarily for work from California. I want to finance a car. I understand that I don't need to import the car if I am a going on a temporary visa. Is this correct? Will my bank allow me to take the car temporarily to canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

californiadash said:
Hi,

Great forum.

I am in California right now and am being transferred to Toronto on some work assignment next month. My intra-company transfer work permit is under process. I will be staying there for 8 months to a year. I plan on coming back after my assignment.

I would appreciate a few pointers:

1) I have car financed from capital one till 2014. Can I drive my car to Toronto through the border without importing it?
2) Do I have to register my car in Toronto, Ontario? My title shows lien holder is Capital One.
3) Do I need to pay off my car for it to be registered in Ontario?
4) I have insurance from Farmers. Will it cover my stay in Canada?

Any help will be awesome.
1. Yes as it for less than 3 years.
2. No. but you require a International Driver's Permit (IDP) from your own country to drive for more than 3 months.
3. Not applicable.
4. Check with farmers.

niravdave85

Mar 18, 2016
Hi CaliforniaDash,

Can you please share your experience ?
I am in the same boat and it will be great if you can share your experience.

I am currently in California & have a financed(lien) vehicle.
--I am temporarily going to Vancouver with work permit. My visit will be somewhere 8-10 months.
--Do I need to export the car from US and import to Canada?--as per RIV website, its not needed if the workpermit is < 3 years
--Can I drive with my California plates ?
--my US driver license will expire in 1 month(cant renew since H1 expiring). Can I get Canada driving license ?