+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Embassy in Toronto - US visa appnts

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello guys
Any trick to get an interview appointment in March or April?

Thanks
no tricks. Keep searching regularly. Also it depends which appointment are you looking for , B1/B2 or H1b or H4. All of them have separate allotment of visa slots.

Sanjida29

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
Can someone please help me.
Usa consulate kept my passport and said my visa is refused for Administrative processing.
But today they email me to send my passport to them as soon as possible. Should i send them my old expired passport. As the valid passport they kept it already. It’s very confusing

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
Can someone please help me.
Usa consulate kept my passport and said my visa is refused for Administrative processing.
But today they email me to send my passport to them as soon as possible. Should i send them my old expired passport. As the valid passport they kept it already. It’s very confusing
If you don't mind can you share info for qs below

B1/B2 visa?
Did they request additional info/docs?
when was your interview?
location of your interview?

I'm in the same situation, my interview was on February 28th. The officer returned my passport but didn't tell me that the visa was refused. instead she said we need more information and you will receive an email from us please reply with the requested information and if your visa is approved you will receive an email from us requesting your passport.

Once I left the consulate I received an email from them requesting to complete a from called DS5535, its a form where you have to fill out your travel history, employment history, address for the last 15 years and siblings names. I sent back the requested info same day but I haven't heard anything until now.

Sanjida29

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
If you don't mind can you share info for qs below

B1/B2 visa?
Did they request additional info/docs?
when was your interview?
location of your interview?

I'm in the same situation, my interview was on February 28th. The officer returned my passport but didn't tell me that the visa was refused. instead she said we need more information and you will receive an email from us please reply with the requested information and if your visa is approved you will receive an email from us requesting your passport.

Once I left the consulate I received an email from them requesting to complete a from called DS5535, its a form where you have to fill out your travel history, employment history, address for the last 15 years and siblings names. I sent back the requested info same day but I haven't heard anything until now.
My visa type is b1/b2. I live in Toronto but as Toronto consulate cancel my appointment i took visa appointment in Calgary. My interview was feb 20th. Visa officer didn’t ask for any additional documentation.
I got an email for passport request but they already had my passport so they email me back they updated info in my account and issued the visa. And send my passport by post office yesterday

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
My visa type is b1/b2. I live in Toronto but as Toronto consulate cancel my appointment i took visa appointment in Calgary. My interview was feb 20th. Visa officer didn’t ask for any additional documentation.
I got an email for passport request but they already had my passport so they email me back they updated info in my account and issued the visa. And send my passport by post office yesterday
Great and congrats

elbarto94

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TORONTO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-12-2017
LANDED..........
18-04-2018
Hey guys, my sister has her US B1/B2 visa appointment on May 3. This is her first time applying. I was wondering what is the turnaround for getting passport back with visa stamp? Trying to finalize some travel plans.

Do we get the passport back earlier if we request pickup vs mail delivery? Any recent experiences? Thanks in advance!

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hey guys, my sister has her US B1/B2 visa appointment on May 3. This is her first time applying. I was wondering what is the turnaround for getting passport back with visa stamp? Trying to finalize some travel plans.

Do we get the passport back earlier if we request pickup vs mail delivery? Any recent experiences? Thanks in advance!
You have an option to opt for premium delivery. You will get it in 3-5 business days!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Does H1 stamp gets cancelled automatically or do they cancel manually when B visa issued?
Whats your current situation? One needs to post full situation to avoid multiple questions and answers.

So tell what you are:
Do you have H1 and do you hold H status currently?
Why are you trying for B visa when H is available.
You havent used H visa yet and planning to use it after your B trip?

Vaibhav.goel85

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
NOC Code......
I tried to book appointment today for My B1/B2 visa but it gave me to send the documents to consulate is it normal? I am Canadian PR had B1/B2 since 2010 which expired in 2020. Had h1B from 2012 to 2018 which I surrendered when I moved to Canada.

Takita

May 12, 2021
Whats your current situation? One needs to post full situation to avoid multiple questions and answers.
F1- 2015 to 2017
H1 - 2017 to mid 2021 with Employer A
I140 - approved for more than 6months with Employer A
US to Canada move - mid 2021 on ICT work permit
H1 stamp valid until 2023. both times (2017 & 2020) got H1 stamp in Toronto
B visa appt - Aug 2022. Reason: Meet friend in US, Travel via DTW airport (Detroit, MI) & occasional shopping needs.
PR - Will get ITA in Jun/Jul if IRCC holds FSW/CEC draws starting Summer 2022.

So tell what you are:
Do you have H1 and do you hold H status currently? H1 stamp valid until 2023. moved with same employer to Canada in mid 2021 on ICT work permit, paid in CAD, working in Canada office . so don't know if H1 is still valid.
Why are you trying for B visa when H is available. I don't understand "H1 available". Without working for the employer in US and no valid job offer, Does it even possible to enter thru H1 just because of having valid H1 stamp until 2023? I don't fall under "work in US and live in Canada." situation
You havent used H visa yet and planning to use it after your B trip? I have used H1 since 2017. renewed in 2020 valid until 2023. I140 approved. Question is Does B cancel H at Consulate/POE?
see my response in Bold

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
F1- 2015 to 2017
H1 - 2017 to mid 2021 with Employer A
I140 - approved for more than 6months with Employer A
US to Canada move - mid 2021 on ICT work permit
H1 stamp valid until 2023. both times (2017 & 2020) got H1 stamp in Toronto
B visa appt - Aug 2022. Reason: Meet friend in US, Travel via DTW airport (Detroit, MI) & occasional shopping needs.
PR - Will get ITA in Jun/Jul if IRCC holds FSW/CEC draws starting Summer 2022.

So tell what you are:
Do you have H1 and do you hold H status currently? H1 stamp valid until 2023. moved with same employer to Canada in mid 2021 on ICT work permit, paid in CAD, working in Canada office . so don't know if H1 is still valid.
Why are you trying for B visa when H is available. I don't understand "H1 available". Without working for the employer in US and no valid job offer, Does it even possible to enter thru H1 just because of having valid H1 stamp until 2023?
You havent used H visa yet and planning to use it after your B trip? I have used H1 since 2017. renewed in 2020 valid until 2023. I140 approved. Question is Does B cancel H at Consulate/POE?
No one knows if they will cancel H1 visa. Seems you were part of discussion already.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-i-have-h1b-as-well-as-b1-b2-stamped.761626/#post-10004528

Takita

May 12, 2021
Is my H1 considered ACTIVE since I'm with same employer (subsidiary) or deemed INACTIVE since out of US now? I don't mind if current H1 gets cancelled as there are no immediate plans to go back US. I'm looking for answers on any impact of current H1 cancel (if it happens) on
  1. Renewal with same employer in 2023
  2. Transfer to different employer after 2023
  3. I485 Consular processing filing if/when dates become current
  4. B implies non-immigrant intent while H/I140 implies immigrant intent so both conflict.
I see many folks
  • who got H after B (approved/rejected)
  • got B after moved to Canada leaving US job so their H stamp is no longer valid (no use cases who went back US again on H after getting B)
  • got B after moved to Canada with same employer but no GC initiated or I140 approved with the employer
  • got B after H1 clock 6yrs expired

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Is my H1 considered ACTIVE since I'm with same employer (subsidiary) or deemed INACTIVE since out of US now? I don't mind if current H1 gets cancelled as there are no immediate plans to go back US. I'm looking for answers on any impact of current H1 cancel (if it happens) on
  1. Renewal with same employer in 2023
  2. Transfer to different employer after 2023
  3. I485 Consular processing filing if/when dates become current
  4. B implies non-immigrant intent while H/I140 implies immigrant intent so both conflict.
I see many folks
  • who got H after B (approved/rejected)
  • got B after moved to Canada leaving US job so their H stamp is no longer valid (no use cases who went back US again on H after getting B)
  • got B after moved to Canada with same employer but no GC initiated or I140 approved with the employer
  • got B after H1 clock 6yrs expired
If you are not on US job then there is no impact technically.
And again, as said earlier, you dont have control over H1 visa cancellation when consulate adjudicates your B visa application.

There is no renewal/transfer when you are not on H status. It will be of new H without quota based on approved 140.
GC final stage consular processing is nothing to do with earlier H or B visa applications. Every application's situation is different hence as long as you are qualified for the visa you seek, there is no issue on what was previous outcomes(except that previous rejections will have more scrutiny on current visa application).

You cannot compare with the combinations of what visa others got and what visas they didnt get. Your situation is not same for others.

For all visas you should be contacting your employer to seek better judgement to avoid any contradiction with their plans instead of asking here first. Some teams might hesitate and advice not to go for B when you would try to apply for H or immigrant visa in the next few months or a year. So check with your employer's immigration team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takita