+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Driver's License

phaedrus

Jul 26, 2017
If I seek a Vermont license is there an electronic database where they can see that i have a Canadian license that they will consult before I start the process?

If I surrender my Canadian license in exchange for a Vermont license, will this trigger an automatic investigation into my permanent residency status in Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If I seek a Vermont license is there an electronic database where they can see that i have a Canadian license that they will consult before I start the process?

If I surrender my Canadian license in exchange for a Vermont license, will this trigger an automatic investigation into my permanent residency status in Canada?
Surrendering your DL has nothing to do with immigration.

egoetc

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
AOR Received.
09-06-2017
Med's Request
19-12-2017
Med's Done....
12-01-2018
You should be able to go to the SAAQ and get a copy of your driver's record, or all you might need is your original driver's license. After that you go to the DMV in Vermont and show them your license/the record. You are better off getting a concrete answer by messaging or calling the DMV to find out officially what you need: http://dmv.vermont.gov/contact/phone-numbers

They wouldn't know you've surrendered it. Even if they did find out, it also depends on the reason for your stay in Vermont - if it's for study purposes, then it's not an issue. Temporary work is the same. However, to get a drivers license in VT you need to show that you're a permanent resident of VT and I'm not quite sure what kind of status you have in the U.S. You could also consider an international driver's permit although those only last for a year at a time.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019

Hey what did you end up doing?? may i know the process of exchange of Canadian license exchange to a US license??