+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizent Traveling to Canada with expired PR

blupassion06

Apr 11, 2012
Hello!
So I have been a PR in Canada since June 30th, 2013... I meet all the requirements for PR renewal and have submitted my application. Unfortunately there was a delay bcs of issues with photographs but I'm still waiting for my new card to come in.
I have to travel to Chicago for a day on Feb. 23rd (I can not postpone it)..my question is

Has a US Citizen flown back to Canada with an expired PR card?
Im reading online that its the airlines that want to make sure you have a valid travel document (in my case my US passport). In the past the airline employees check passports before boarding the flight, and I always show my PR card at immigration.
I know i can drive back...but do you guys think its risky to fly back? would I be in some sort of legal trouble if I do?

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello!
So I have been a PR in Canada since June 30th, 2013... I meet all the requirements for PR renewal and have submitted my application. Unfortunately there was a delay bcs of issues with photographs but I'm still waiting for my new card to come in.
I have to travel to Chicago for a day on Feb. 23rd (I can not postpone it)..my question is

Im reading online that its the airlines that want to make sure you have a valid travel document (in my case my US passport). In the past the airline employees check passports before boarding the flight, and I always show my PR card at immigration.
I know i can drive back...but do you guys think its risky to fly back? would I be in some sort of legal trouble if I do?

Thanks!
Hi

Many Americans have done this. There is no risk in flying. Do not tell the airline that you are a PR.

Rusch

Jan 4, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Visa Office......
Orlando
Job Offer........
Yes
Hello!

Thanks!
Can you give an update? I am also flying to Canada from the U.S. under the same circumstances.

blupassion06

Apr 11, 2012
Can you give an update? I am also flying to Canada from the U.S. under the same circumstances.
Hey!
Yea it went quiet well actually.
I ended up travelling to YOW instead of YYZ.
Before boarding your plane you will be asked to have your passport ready. I always show my US passport and I did the same this time.
At YOW when you land there are machines you enter aĺl your information in (they no longer hand out declaration forms on the plane)...including your PR card. The machine thn prints out a receipt that you take to an officer. Mine said "your card is expired!" And i replied "yes, I have submitted an application for renewal but have not heard back yet"
Thn I proceeded through baggage claim (i only had a carry on)
At the exit the officer guided me to secondary screening. During which the officer took my card and passport. I explained the situation..he looked up a few things and stamped my passport and that was it!
I did travel with a copy of my application, plus payment rcpt, and a few tax documents that show my residency but i was not asked to provide any proof.

Good luck!