+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizens, dual citizenship and OCI card

SGulati

Apr 20, 2019
Finally today after a long wait i got connected to some one at BLS (you know the very way people speak you can assess they are smart or dumb). The person immediately responded that if your son US Passport is still valid you can travel to India and you don't need to renew till 18 years of age but you need to make sure US Passport is renewed as and when due.

He said you may consider linking OCI to Canadian Passport but that is just an option (there is difference between i may do or i must do which he was pretty clear on)

I told him CGI messaged the same and he concurred.

Ideally i should have complimented him by saying you are working with wrong people :)

Lastly, I have an appointment for my son tomorrow with BLS, i may try and file Misc App but if they do any nit picking (bring this and bring that ) then i will just continue with OCI linked to US Passport.
Thanks for this information. Please post your experience at BLS.

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Thanks for this information. Please post your experience at BLS.

I am done with dealing with BLS, I will let my son continue with OCI linked to US Passport.

Since there is change in rule and now they need Apostille Copy of Birth Certificate if Child was born in USA. I have attested copy from Department of State and seriously have no time to deal with all this. Funny requirement when birth certificate was originally taken and OCI have been through one renewal while being in Canada not sure why you will need it again. Someone rightly said- At times rules beat the common sense.

lastly the guy was nice and he said why Sir you really need to do this when you have OCI already in place. Make sure your US Passport is renewed and in order for travel.

Reactions: SGulati