+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizens, dual citizenship and OCI card

americandesimd

Aug 10, 2014
Hi All,

My minor kids are US citizens and already have their OCI cards with them.
We will be taking oath next month to become Canadian citizens. Do I need to take any additional steps for their dual citizenship or inform the embassies?
Do I need to inform or fill any forms for OCI informing of dual citizenship for the kids?
I believe for their OCI renewal I will need to send both countries passport copies? Is that correct?

Thanks!

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Hi All,

We will be taking oath next month to become Canadian citizens. Do I need to take any additional steps for their dual citizenship or inform the embassies?
Do I need to inform or fill any forms for OCI informing of dual citizenship for the kids?
I believe for their OCI renewal I will need to send both countries passport copies? Is that correct?

Thanks!
Have you updated OCI of your minors with dual Citizenship? Was it just filling Misc form online on OCI website or you had to send in filled application form to BLS?

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Hi All,

Thanks!
Hello,

Have you been to India since acquiring Canadian Citizenship on US Passports?

Have you had to reapply for OCI?

Can you please share the process?

Thanks.

americandesimd

Aug 10, 2014
Hello,

Thanks.
As per the new guidelines, the new OCI card for minors will have to renewed when they turn 20.
Once they acquire dual citizenship, just fill the OCI misc services form online where you can update the dual nationality details.
I did go to India since acquiring Canadian Citizenship on US Passports and there were no issues. I had just updated the OCI misc services section to update the Canadian passport details.
Hope this helps!

If your case is complex, please contact the BLS customer service via phone

Last edited:

americandesimd

Aug 10, 2014
Hello,

Thanks.
@navid2014 Just to clarify, we carried both Canadian and USA passports but only showed Canadian passports and OCIs to enter India. Better to carry kids' USA passports, just in case they ask. Good Luck!

Reactions: navid2014

AC103

Jun 28, 2023
HI guys,

My minor child got her OCI based on USA passport, now she got her Canadian citizenship. Which option should i choose in OCI Mis Service section.

Services for re-issuance of OCI Card (Chargeable) Know More
Change of Personal Particulars
Loss / Damage of OCI Certificate / Visa

Services for updation of information in OCI records (Gratis Service) Know More
Passport Particulars Updation
Address / Occupation Updation

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
HI guys,

My minor child got her OCI based on USA passport, now she got her Canadian citizenship. Which option should i choose in OCI Mis Service section.

Services for re-issuance of OCI Card (Chargeable) Know More
Change of Personal Particulars
Loss / Damage of OCI Certificate / Visa

Services for updation of information in OCI records (Gratis Service) Know More
Passport Particulars Updation
Address / Occupation Updation
hi- were you able to sort this query, unfortunately BLs team is not trained to resolve this query

Reactions: tamilguy

appandya

Dec 19, 2023
As per the new guidelines, the new OCI card for minors will have to renewed when they turn 20.
Once they acquire dual citizenship, just fill the OCI misc services form online where you can update the dual nationality details.
I did go to India since acquiring Canadian Citizenship on US Passports and there were no issues. I had just updated the OCI misc services section to update the Canadian passport details.
Hope this helps!

If your case is complex, please contact the BLS customer service via phone
Hi,
My son is US citizen with OCI, recently he got Canadian passport, so i went OCI Misc service, but not sure which one to select
1) Change of Personal Particulars 2) Passport particulars updating
Can you pl tell me which one to select

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Any one got the correct answer as I am having multiple responses

a- sent email to cgi and they said updating oci on receipt of dual nationality is optional.

b- called BLS they said submit misc OCI renewal form

c- saw somewhere on this forum that fresh application with dual nationality needs to be filled.

Power of information, misleading information can cause damage I can very well see how disorganized our systems are and how people are manipulated to pay premium price to agents To get work done.

SGulati

Apr 20, 2019
Any one got the correct answer as I am having multiple responses

a- sent email to cgi and they said updating oci on receipt of dual nationality is optional.

b- called BLS they said submit misc OCI renewal form

c- saw somewhere on this forum that fresh application with dual nationality needs to be filled.

Power of information, misleading information can cause damage I can very well see how disorganized our systems are and how people are manipulated to pay premium price to agents To get work done.
I would believe CGI. BLS people don't know anything and they just want to make money.
P.S.- I am still looking for the correct answer. Will post here if I found something.

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I would believe CGI. BLS people don't know anything and they just want to make money.
P.S.- I am still looking for the correct answer. Will post here if I found something.

Finally today after a long wait i got connected to some one at BLS (you know the very way people speak you can assess they are smart or dumb). The person immediately responded that if your son US Passport is still valid you can travel to India and you don't need to renew till 18 years of age but you need to make sure US Passport is renewed as and when due.

He said you may consider linking OCI to Canadian Passport but that is just an option (there is difference between i may do or i must do which he was pretty clear on)

I told him CGI messaged the same and he concurred.

Ideally i should have complimented him by saying you are working with wrong people :)

Lastly, I have an appointment for my son tomorrow with BLS, i may try and file Misc App but if they do any nit picking (bring this and bring that ) then i will just continue with OCI linked to US Passport.

Reactions: SGulati