+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen wants to live with boyfriend in Quebec to establish commonlaw marriag

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
I am a US citizen and have been dating my boyfriend in quebec for 8 months. I would like to be able to move in with him in Quebec to establish commonlaw marriage, I am attending school there for 6 months but that isnt the year we need to make it commonlaw. is it correct i must also be a full time student? because if i go PART time ( esthetics school ) i can make it last a year. if that is helpful.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
It doesn't matter whatsoever if you're a student or not. You could be a tourist, student, worker, whatever... the only thing that matters to establish common-law is living together in the same home for 12 consecutive months with no breaks.

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
Rob but if you can only stay for 6 months max as a visitor how does one manage to stay a full year without a break????understand where i am coming from?? if i am not allowed to stay a year at a time as a tourist or visitor how can i STAY a full year without a break?? i am NOT understanding this

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
travlgrl said:
Rob but if you can only stay for 6 months max as a visitor how does one manage to stay a full year without a break????understand where i am coming from?? if i am not allowed to stay a year at a time as a tourist or visitor how can i STAY a full year without a break?? i am NOT understanding this
When your 6 months is almost up (so at around 5 months), just apply for a renewal of visitor status. For a visa-exempt person, this is usually pretty easy and you should get an additional 6 or 12 months extension.

If for some reason the renewal is denied, then he would need to move to the US to stay with you for the last 6 months to finish the common-law qualifying.

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
unfortunatly it is not that easy as he has a job with the school district there in montreal so that would NOT be possible. So is this what EVERYone does they stay and then reapply before visa expires. doesnt seem like a very secure way to do things. not knowing if you can stay or not. ALSO if i am paying 10,000 dollars to go to school part time i wouldnt NOT want to know that i can stay and finish. there has to be another way.