+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen wanting to join my partner in BC to live while still working in US

graciah

Jan 4, 2020
I am a US born citizen and I currently reside in Seattle. I have been dating my partner for nearly 2 years (Canadian born citizen) and we hope to be able to reside together in BC, but I need to continue my employment in the US for 2 more years to qualify for student loan forgiveness.

Is it possible to reside in BC while doing daily border crossing into Bellingham and if so, under what program or conditions?

I haven't been able to find an answer for this particular situation anywhere.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a US born citizen and I currently reside in Seattle. I have been dating my partner for nearly 2 years (Canadian born citizen) and we hope to be able to reside together in BC, but I need to continue my employment in the US for 2 more years to qualify for student loan forgiveness.

Is it possible to reside in BC while doing daily border crossing into Bellingham and if so, under what program or conditions?

I haven't been able to find an answer for this particular situation anywhere.
The short answer is no. You can try doing this for a while as a visitor but sooner or later CBSA will tell you that you need to stop and / or you may be refused entry at the border (even given a 1 year ban from re-entering - although this is rare). As an American, you can visit Canada - but you are not entitled to live here. What you are taking about doing is living in Canada. There is no temporary visa available that allows you to do this.

If you want to live in Canada and be able to travel to the US to work without any issues or concerns about being prevented from re-entering Canada, you would need PR status. Likely the easiest way for you to get PR status is through your partner. Your partner can sponsor you for PR once you are either married or have lived together for at least one year continuously to become common law.

graciah

Jan 4, 2020
The short answer is no. You can try doing this for a while as a visitor but sooner or later CBSA will tell you that you need to stop and / or you may be refused entry at the border (even given a 1 year ban from re-entering - although this is rare). As an American, you can visit Canada - but you are not entitled to live here. What you are taking about doing is living in Canada. There is no temporary visa available that allows you to do this.

If you want to live in Canada and be able to travel to the US to work without any issues or concerns about being prevented from re-entering Canada, you would need PR status. Likely the easiest way for you to get PR status is through your partner. Your partner can sponsor you for PR once you are either married or have lived together for at least one year continuously to become common law.
Thank you. That's what I was surmising baswd on not finding anything.