+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen Wanting To Become Canadian But Work In US

USDrStudent

Jul 27, 2018
I'm currently finishing up getting a doctorate degree in the US and plan on working in the US right on the border with Ontario. However, I want to become a Canadian citizen and live within Canada, just making the commute for work to the US everyday. Is this a possibility for a US citizen if you do not have family/wife in Canada or plan on working in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm currently finishing up getting a doctorate degree in the US and plan on working in the US right on the border with Ontario. However, I want to become a Canadian citizen and live within Canada, just making the commute for work to the US everyday. Is this a possibility for a US citizen if you do not have family/wife in Canada or plan on working in Canada?
Yes - it's possible. However you cannot become a Canadian citizen directly. You must become a permanent resident first. You'll need to research Canada's immigration programs to understand what your options are for applying for PR. There are no special streams for Americans - you apply just like anyone else would. Recommend you start by researching the Express Entry program.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
At the moment yes but you will need a visa to work in the US. In the age of Trump there are no guarantees.
I believe the OP is a US citizen.

USDrStudent

Jul 27, 2018
Yes - it's possible. However you cannot become a Canadian citizen directly. You must become a permanent resident first. You'll need to research Canada's immigration programs to understand what your options are for applying for PR. There are no special streams for Americans - you apply just like anyone else would. Recommend you start by researching the Express Entry program.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html
I looked into that and seems like the options are if you want to become a worker in Canada, join your family or are a self-employed businessman which I would not fall under any of these categories.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I looked into that and seems like the options are if you want to become a worker in Canada, join your family or are a self-employed businessman which I would not fall under any of these categories.
There is no immigration stream designed specifically for what you are trying to do.

If you immigrate via Express Entry, nothing is forcing you to work in Canada. You can do as planned and live in Canada while working in the US. Note that to be selected under EE, you currently need to have a score 440+. So as a first step, you may want to calculate your score to see where you sit. Note you'll have to have at least 1 year of paid full time work experience to qualify. You'll also need to take an English language test and have your education officially assessed before you can submit your profile for consideration.

Reactions: northern sunshine

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you don't mind me asking is there a particular reason you want to do this? Seeking Canadian citizenship to work in the US when you are a US citizen is a odd choice.

USDrStudent

Jul 27, 2018
If you don't mind me asking is there a particular reason you want to do this? Seeking Canadian citizenship to work in the US when you are a US citizen is a odd choice.
I view Canada is a better country to live in and raise a family overall compared to the US. However, my profession pays more within the US and is why I'd rather continue working in the US.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We have seen other US citizens wanting to move to Canada to get rid of the cost of health insurance but if you are spending half your time in the US plus driving there and back 5 times a week you need to keep the insurance. Things like dental, Rx drugs, glasses, etc are not covered in most provinces so unless your spouse has coverage it becomes another reason to keep the insurance. Some US citizens are under the impression that Canada will pay if you get sick in the US and bring you to Canada but that is not the case. Sure you have done your research but a common issue I have seen on this forum. Also the tax treaty with Canada. People seem to be unaware of that as well.

USDrStudent

Jul 27, 2018
We have seen other US citizens wanting to move to Canada to get rid of the cost of health insurance but if you are spending half your time in the US plus driving there and back 5 times a week you need to keep the insurance. Things like dental, Rx drugs, glasses, etc are not covered in most provinces so unless your spouse has coverage it becomes another reason to keep the insurance. Some US citizens are under the impression that Canada will pay if you get sick in the US and bring you to Canada but that is not the case. Sure you have done your research but a common issue I have seen on this forum. Also the tax treaty with Canada. People seem to be unaware of that as well.
I am aware of how the health care system works and am not moving for health care reasons. I want to move there for the overall way of life and what Canada is in it's entirety. I know those things are not covered but that you can also pay for additional insurance for those things.

USDrStudent

Jul 27, 2018
It seems according to entry checker, that I need to just have a year of work experience and enough "settlement funds" to be able to submit an application and be considered for permanent residency?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It seems according to entry checker, that I need to just have a year of work experience and enough "settlement funds" to be able to submit an application and be considered for permanent residency?
You also need to take the IELTS English language test and have the results - and have your education officially assessed. You cannot create an Express Entry profile without these two things.

Note that as of now, you must have 440+ points to be selected out of the pool.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My best guess is, that the reason is more or less retirement and then most likely lower costs on certain things (like education).
Standard approach in order to get best of the both sides (better salary from USA and better later conditions from Canada0.