+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen Trying To Work In Canada With Potential Permanent Residence

Lrsone

Feb 14, 2019
Hello everyone I have some questions about working in Canada (specifically British Columbia) being a US citizen. So here's a rundown of my situation so you guys can get a better understanding.

My girlfriend and I are going on 5 years together this summer and I've always been planning to move from where I currently live in the US not only because of her but because I've been here almost my whole life. I'm planning to propose to her hopefully at the end of this year. We both want to get married but we don't wanna rush it solely on the reason of getting me to Canada. I also want to do this on my own at least the part of getting to Canada without needing her help.

I currently work for adidas, I've spoken to people here to see if we can do a transfer but it's not as simple when you work in their retail store. They only do it for corporate workers (so I've been told). So what I did because I've been visiting Canada for almost 5 years now, I became friends with the manager at the adidas store closest to where my girlfriend lives. I've mentioned wanting to go over there for work and they also mentioned about wanting me there. He sent out an email to corporate and they said I would have to obtain a work visa. I know I do if I want to work there I've done that part of the research. But in order to receive a work permit you need a job offer and all that jazz. So trying to apply for one outside of Canada has been fairly difficult.

Now I know that they want me to work for their store out there it's been expressed multiple times also the district manager has expressed the same sentiment to me. Now my question is if I go over there to visit my girlfriend which I'm planning on in a couple of months, can in potentially get an offer while being on a Temporary Resident Visa? If so how does that work? I know I can stay up to 6 months on a TRV as a US citizen. Would the employer have to take any action besides offering me a job?

TL;dr: US Citizen with a Canadian girlfriend of 5 years looking to go work in British Columbia and potentially seeking permanent residency in the future. Has expressed wanting to work for a company, the managers have expressed interest in wanting me at their company's retail location. Can I get a job offer and obtain a work permit on a Temporary Resident Visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone I have some questions about working in Canada (specifically British Columbia) being a US citizen. So here's a rundown of my situation so you guys can get a better understanding.

My girlfriend and I are going on 5 years together this summer and I've always been planning to move from where I currently live in the US not only because of her but because I've been here almost my whole life. I'm planning to propose to her hopefully at the end of this year. We both want to get married but we don't wanna rush it solely on the reason of getting me to Canada. I also want to do this on my own at least the part of getting to Canada without needing her help.

I currently work for adidas, I've spoken to people here to see if we can do a transfer but it's not as simple when you work in their retail store. They only do it for corporate workers (so I've been told). So what I did because I've been visiting Canada for almost 5 years now, I became friends with the manager at the adidas store closest to where my girlfriend lives. I've mentioned wanting to go over there for work and they also mentioned about wanting me there. He sent out an email to corporate and they said I would have to obtain a work visa. I know I do if I want to work there I've done that part of the research. But in order to receive a work permit you need a job offer and all that jazz. So trying to apply for one outside of Canada has been fairly difficult. Most employers are not willing to go through the LMIA process.

Now I know that they want me to work for their store out there it's been expressed multiple times also the district manager has expressed the same sentiment to me. Now my question is if I go over there to visit my girlfriend which I'm planning on in a couple of months, can in potentially get an offer while being on a Temporary Resident Visa? If so how does that work? I know I can stay up to 6 months on a TRV as a US citizen. Would the employer have to take any action besides offering me a job?

TL;dr: US Citizen with a Canadian girlfriend of 5 years looking to go work in British Columbia and potentially seeking permanent residency in the future. Has expressed wanting to work for a company, the managers have expressed interest in wanting me at their company's retail location. Can I get a job offer and obtain a work permit on a Temporary Resident Visa?
An ICT (intra company transfer) visa is only possible if you hold a senior management role now and your company wishes to transfer you to their Canadian operations. Your role does not qualify so this is not an option for you.

Otherwise to get a work permit, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA in addition to giving you the job offer. The LMIA process is long (plan on 4-6 months) and expensive for the employer with no guarantee of approval. The first step is for the employer to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role.

Lrsone

Feb 14, 2019
An ICT (intra company transfer) visa is only possible if you hold a senior management role now and your company wishes to transfer you to their Canadian operations. Your role does not qualify so this is not an option for you.

Otherwise to get a work permit, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA in addition to giving you the job offer. The LMIA process is long (plan on 4-6 months) and expensive for the employer with no guarantee of approval. The first step is for the employer to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role.
So there's no way of getting a work visa while being on a Temporary Resident Visa which is typ

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So there's no way of getting a work visa while being on a Temporary Resident Visa which is typ
You can certainly get a work permit while in Canada as a visitor - but again you need a job offer and your employer has to obtain an approved LMIA before you can apply for a the work permit.

Note that as an American, you don't need a TRV, you would enter Canada as a visitor based on your passport.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
You are better off going back to school, looking at the immigration programs available, or simply getting married on paper to process the application so you can be together.
No business will try to get an LMIA for a retail position, that's very expensive and really not much qualification is needed for that, it will be hard to prove no Canadian or PR wanted the job.

Lrsone

Feb 14, 2019
You are better off going back to school, looking at the immigration programs available, or simply getting married on paper to process the application so you can be together.
No business will try to get an LMIA for a retail position, that's very expensive and really not much qualification is needed for that, it will be hard to prove no Canadian or PR wanted the job.
Thanks for the input. School isn't really an option right now. Also the position is a managerial position, I'm not sure if that helps out a little more. I did think about the things you listed about it being a retail job and what not. I'm just thinking if it's a managerial job there should be a slightly higher chance of actually being able to go through the process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the input. School isn't really an option right now. Also the position is a managerial position, I'm not sure if that helps out a little more. I did think about the things you listed about it being a retail job and what not. I'm just thinking if it's a managerial job there should be a slightly higher chance of actually being able to go through the process.
Unfortunately this doesn't really help. The employer still needs to go through the LMIA process. You'll need to speak with your potential employer in Canada to see if they are willing to get an LMIA. Generally most employers aren't because of the time and expense - and because they know they won't be able to prove that they couldn't hire a Canadian.

The LMIA process could only be bypassed if you currently held a senior managerial job (e.g. head of a division of the company) in the US and were transferring to another senior managerial job in Canada. Unfortunately that's not your situation.

Reactions: EstherBarros

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010