+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen traveling while inland app is processing

cananner

Mar 3, 2019
AOR Received.
14-08-2019
I'm wondering about the border risks involved if a US passport-holder leaves Canada for a couple of weeks while an inland application is in progress.
I'm Canadian, my husband is American. We live in the US right now but are looking to move to Canada within the next few months. If we apply inland, I know it's ill-advised for him to leave Canada. But if an American is allowed to visit Canada for 6 months without a special visa, does that lower the risk of trouble at the border if we went on vacation within that time? Does the pending application become tied to his passport once it's been received, or when border officials scan it, do they just see the date of the last time he entered Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm wondering about the border risks involved if a US passport-holder leaves Canada for a couple of weeks while an inland application is in progress.
I'm Canadian, my husband is American. We live in the US right now but are looking to move to Canada within the next few months. If we apply inland, I know it's ill-advised for him to leave Canada. But if an American is allowed to visit Canada for 6 months without a special visa, does that lower the risk of trouble at the border if we went on vacation within that time? Does the pending application become tied to his passport once it's been received, or when border officials scan it, do they just see the date of the last time he entered Canada?
Short answer is that there's an extremely high chance that he will have no issues re-entering. But it's never guaranteed - always some small chance there will be issues.

Reactions: NHLNFL

cananner

Mar 3, 2019
AOR Received.
14-08-2019
Short answer is that there's an extremely high chance that he will have no issues re-entering. But it's never guaranteed - always some small chance there will be issues.
Thanks scylla! Any chance you know about the passport thing - whether a passport would show a pending application, or just entry dates?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Outland American apps are processed very quickly, generally within about 6 months. If you aren't moving to Canada for a few months, it is a far better option for you to apply outland now.