+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen returning back to Canada

Agilent

Feb 13, 2009
Hi,

I landed in Canada back in Nov 2007, stayed for a week and then came back to US.

I am now planning to go back for a visit in March 2009, but do no have my PR card with me.

Is this going to present any issues at the POE or I should be able to enter Canada easily on my US passport?

Thanks in advance!

john5655

Jan 25, 2009
I understand that if you take the land route you should be OK, but if you fly you need a PR travel permit, check your nearest Canadian visa issuing office for details

Agilent

Feb 13, 2009
Thanks john5655!

Why is different if I take the Land route or Fly? I will be using my US passport either way.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Commercial carriers may not board you on the flight if they know you are a Canadian PR, but do not have the card. But if you are flying from the US to Canada, they probably won't care. Showing your US passport does not guarantee you entry to Canada. You have to undergo an examination and they will ask you why you are coming to Canada. It will be awfully strange if you do not inform them you are a PR at that time. I am assuming your visa is still in your passport, so they will know by looking at it. Anyway, not having the card does not strip you of PR status. If you can demonstrate you have PR status, either through the visa in the passport, record of landing or whatever, then your should be fine. It will just go a lot smoother if you have and show the PR card on arrival. If you do fly, you must also show your passport, while if you drive across a PR card should be good enough, but do not try driving back into the US w/o your passport.