+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen on NAFTA WP

jrd687

Jan 5, 2015
Hello All

I've lived and worked in Canada for the last 3+ years as an engineer (licensed PEng) on a NAFTA WP. I also hold a study permit (part-time grad student). I just renewed my work permit last year, valid until mid-2017. In 2013 I married a Canadian citizen and we are strongly considering settling here permanently. However, my company is likely to transfer me back to US next year. I would like to keep my options open and apply for (and hopefully obtain) PR status so I can work elsewhere if necessary.

The family sponsorship method processing time while I'm in Canada is up to 2 years (way too long). I have been reading about EE and it looks it might be the most effective way to obtain PR and eventually Canadian citizenship. I have a couple questions:

1) Is there any exemption to the language tests if English is my native language? I grew up in the US and went to an American university, also studying part time for Masters degree here in Canada (hoping to graduate this spring). I presume there is no exemption so is the CELPIP test the best option?

2) Will I need an LMIA to apply? I'm currently LMO exempt under NAFTA. I realize that I will lose 600 points but perhaps that is balanced out by other factors?

3) Are there any other NAFTA WP holders here enrolling in EE and applying for PR? Any advice or lessons learned that you can share?

Thanks in advance for the help and happy New Year to all!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) No exemptions to the language test. Mandatory for all.
2) If you want the 600 points you need an LMIA. You can still apply without an LMIA but you won't get the 600 points..

Do you realize that your spouse can sponsor you using the outland (outside of Canada) process while you're living in Canada - and that this could take as little as 4-5 months to complete? Outland spousal sponsorship is the way to go no question. Forget about EE.

jrd687

Jan 5, 2015
Scylla,

Thanks for confirming this. When I initially read about the Spousal Sponsorship I misinterpreted the requirements for an outland application. I was just reading the Family Class Sponsorship threads and found several NAFTA WP holders who have successfully applied for PR with spousal sponsorships using outland applications. I'm glad I found this forum!