+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen on 6 month visitor visa - Can I leave and come back?

Stephen_W

Jul 15, 2016
I'm a US citizen visiting Canada, and staying with my girlfriend, on a 6 month visitor visa which I received at the border when I entered Canada. It expires at the end of February 2017. I want to know if I am able to leave the country and come back. I am not sure if my visa is single or multi-entry. I am assuming single, because at the bottom of it there is a bold statement that reads "This does not authorize re-entry." My girlfriend and I have tickets to Blizzcon in Anaheim, California, which is the first weekend of November. I would also like to visit my family back in the US for Thanksgiving at the end of November.

Will I have problems when I try to return to Canada? Will I need to get a new visitor's visa? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
None of us can really answer your question. Whether you are allowed back into Canada or not and for how long is entirely up to the CBSA officer you encounter at the border. Right now your status in Canada is that of a visitor - which means that you're allowed to visit but not live here. If the CBSA officer feels that you are trying to use your visitor status to live in Canada - then it's possible to only be granted a short visit when you re-enter or even possible to be refused entry (although this is rarer). It would be a good idea to carry proof of ties to the US in case you are questioned (e.g. property ownership/rental, proof of employment, etc.). Not sure if you have any of this.

If you want to be able to remain in Canada longer than the six months, your best bet is to avoid all travel outside of Canada and apply to extend your stay from within Canada.