+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen needing help after bleak 8 month job search

CrzyGK

Sep 11, 2013
For the past eight months I have been calling various employers and recruitment agencies trying to find an LMO available position in the Lloydminster and Edmonton areas with very little luck. I have sent in around 100-200 resumes/cover letters and just got back from a three and a half month stay in Alberta where I was led on by a company with several LMO's in processing. About a week before I had to leave, and after three months of them telling me that they were going to hire me as soon as the LMO's became available, I found out that they filled every one with a group of South Koreans. Now I'm back in the states with no idea on what to do next... All I want is to be with my long-time girlfriend in Alberta, but it seems damn-near impossible to get there... Does anyone have any advice to help? I would greatly appreciate anything right now... We are both just sick and tired of this process...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If your long-term girlfriend is Canadian and your intention is to live together in Canada, then sponsorship would be the way to go. In order for her to sponsor you, you guys will need to either become common-law (live together continuously for a year) or get married.

rak_1985

Nov 12, 2013
CrzyGK said:
For the past eight months I have been calling various employers and recruitment agencies trying to find an LMO available position in the Lloydminster and Edmonton areas with very little luck. I have sent in around 100-200 resumes/cover letters and just got back from a three and a half month stay in Alberta where I was led on by a company with several LMO's in processing. About a week before I had to leave, and after three months of them telling me that they were going to hire me as soon as the LMO's became available, I found out that they filled every one with a group of South Koreans. Now I'm back in the states with no idea on what to do next... All I want is to be with my long-time girlfriend in Alberta, but it seems damn-near impossible to get there... Does anyone have any advice to help? I would greatly appreciate anything right now... We are both just sick and tired of this process...
In which field are you looking for the jobs ??

enkins87

Sep 30, 2013
what is your proffesion and are you willing to do something that may not be in your niche? maybe that'll be the fastes way to get to your girlfriend

CrzyGK

Sep 11, 2013
Originally, I was looking for work in IT, but I was told by several TFW recruiters that it is almost impossible to get an LMO for that kind of work, so now I've been forced to look for a manufacturing/labour job since those seem to be the only LMO-available positions around... Thanks for the replies.

mcramer2011

Apr 16, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
If your long-term girlfriend is Canadian and your intention is to live together in Canada, then sponsorship would be the way to go. In order for her to sponsor you, you guys will need to either become common-law (live together continuously for a year) or get married.
Canuck, if that's the case, how do you live together continuously for a year if you are not a Canadian citizen? I am a US citizen looking to get work in Victoria but it seems like I need to have my work VISA first, but I can't get a work VISA without a job offer? What is the best way to go about it?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mcramer2011 said:
Canuck, if that's the case, how do you live together continuously for a year if you are not a Canadian citizen? I am a US citizen looking to get work in Victoria but it seems like I need to have my work VISA first, but I can't get a work VISA without a job offer? What is the best way to go about it?
You can come as a visitor and extend your status in order to stay for a year. Or you can spend 6 months together in Canada and then 6 months together in the US. Or you can spend the time in a third country.

After you become common-law, the sponsorship process will take around 8-10 months, so you should factor around 2 years altogether. Or you get married and apply much sooner.

Vancouveritis

Mar 31, 2014
In Edmonton, that might be tough to find IT work. My brother in law is a Sys-Admin professional and still looking for work after six months. Hope you find an answer. :)

choctawindian

Feb 2, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
You can come as a visitor and extend your status in order to stay for a year. Or you can spend 6 months together in Canada and then 6 months together in the US. Or you can spend the time in a third country.

After you become common-law, the sponsorship process will take around 8-10 months, so you should factor around 2 years altogether. Or you get married and apply much sooner.
Well, I "only" learned Law in the US but it seems to me that one problem with getting married "JUST" to come work in Canada would be Immigration Canada assuming that it's fraudulent. That and the Canadian citizen is "on the hook" financially for the support of the non-Canadian citizen for TEN YEARS. I am told that, yes, even if the Canadian citizen is the WOMAN. They expect the woman to financially support the man, which flies in the face of traditional "marriage." In the provinces other than Quebec, even.

The only legal "hitch" I can see to that is that Immigration Canada is wacked-out like that and will expect the wife to support the husband even if she doesn't have a job - which will make them cast a suspicious eye on the marriage. (It gets wackier than that - in the US they seem to have the convoluted notion that any "interracial" marriage is automatically "suspect"....)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
choctawindian said:
Well, I "only" learned Law in the US but it seems to me that one problem with getting married "JUST" to come work in Canada would be Immigration Canada assuming that it's fraudulent. That and the Canadian citizen is "on the hook" financially for the support of the non-Canadian citizen for TEN YEARS.
No - it's not ten years. It's a three year obligation for spouses. The ten year obligation applies to parents and dependent children.

Yes - the obligation still applies even if the sponsor doesn't have a job.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
CrzyGK,

Did you ever find work? Someone on this forum (from the US) suggested US citizens should try finding work with US companies that have operations in Canada. Once you're in (state side), you can push for a transfer to Canada. The poster said it worked for him and a few other people. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread but you should consider that as an option since it's easier for you to network with the right people in the US.

All the best.