+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen Moving to Canada But keeping job in US

Anney

Jun 12, 2019
I am an American citizen and I am engaged to a Canadian citizen. We are planning on getting married in the fall and I would like to move there before we get married. I would still like to keep my job in Detroit. Does anyone have information about if I can do this. I heard there was paper work to file in US but i am not sure what. I need help. Thank you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I am an American citizen and I am engaged to a Canadian citizen. We are planning on getting married in the fall and I would like to move there before we get married. I would still like to keep my job in Detroit. Does anyone have information about if I can do this. I heard there was paper work to file in US but i am not sure what. I need help. Thank you
You can't "move" to Canada until you are a Permanent Resident. You can only visit, and as such, may be refused entry at any time.
Commuting as a "visitor" is likely to go seriously wrong sooner or later.

Anney

Jun 12, 2019
Thank you so much for you response

Would you happen to know if I can move once I apply or do I have to wait until I am approved?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you so much for you response

Would you happen to know if I can move once I apply or do I have to wait until I am approved?
Until you "land" as a Permanent Resident, you remain a visiting "Foreign National". How long you can visit for is up to the CBSA officer at the Port of Entry, each time you apply to enter Canada. That's why commuting is a serious risk, as CBSA do not like people "living in Canada" as tourists.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would consider renting in Detroit and crossing the border every weekend. Agree commuting daily will get you in trouble and one day your entry will be refused.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I do that now just hoping to move before my lease was up
many similar cases where person gets a really hard time from CBSA and then one day they are just refused. Then your partner would only be able to visit you until you get PR.