+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen interested in obtaining a Canadian PR card ...

Pbear8

Aug 21, 2017
Hi there .
I'm hoping someone can help me.

My boyfriend , who lives in the US ( and is a US citizen), would like to get a Canadian PR card.
Eventually he would like to have dual citizenship .

We have read and re-read many sites with information on how to obtain a PR card but he doesn't seem to fit into a particular category.

He is currently employed in the law enforcement field . He would like to get a job here in Canada (though not necessarily policing).

If he wanted to get more detailed information particular to his situation, would he need to speak to someone at a Canadian immigration office or US immigration?
Many thanks in advance .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canadian and/or US immigration won't give him advice on how to apply. If he wants assistance / advice of that kind - he would need to hire an immigration lawyer or consultant to assist him.

It's quite unlikely he would be able to secure a job offer in law enforcement in Canada before become a PR. Even getting a job in a different field will be challenging. Generally speaking, it's very difficult to get a work permit in Canada since he would need to get a full time job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA (this is a long and expensive process with no guarantee of approval that required the employer to prove no Canadian could be found for PR).

To apply for PR, he would need to qualify and apply through one of the following programs (many of which are points based and which award points based on an applicant's education, work experience, etc.):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

There's no special or easier stream for Americans. They have to qualify and apply just like anyone else.

If your relationship is serious and genuine, the easiest path to PR for him is for the two of you to get married so that you can sponsor him as your spouse.

Pbear8

Aug 21, 2017
Many thanks Scylla. I appreciate your information .It helps quite a bit.

Yes,we are serious and plan to wed at some point (we have been dating for about a year and a half ).

Do you have any insight into that avenue?

I would have to be able to support him financially , is that correct ?

Thanks again :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Many thanks Scylla. I appreciate your information .It helps quite a bit.

Yes,we are serious and plan to wed at some point (we have been dating for about a year and a half ).

Do you have any insight into that avenue?

I would have to be able to support him financially , is that correct ?

Thanks again :)
Start here for sponsorship information. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html
You only have to demonstrate that neither you or he will be dependent on welfare. How you handle your personal finances is up to you.