+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen in Canada wants Perm. residence

mk1988

Oct 24, 2008
Hi, I'm a US citizen and live in BC with my Canadian citizen boyfriend (fiance). I'm allowed to stay until mid Feb 2009 on a Visitor Record. We're planning on being married in Canada by a Justice of the Peace fairly soon. We won't be having a church ceremony until next year when we have more free time. We wanted to know our chances of being able to apply for sponsorship under family class/perm. residence for me and it being approved.
Also, do any of you know if I need to apply to extend my stay as a visitor so I can remain in Canada while the applications are being processed?
Maybe I'm not very good at condensing information, but it seems to me that it is somewhat difficult to find clear information on exactly what needs to be done for these situations. But does this seem like the right order of things to do? Or am I missing something?
1. Apply for Sponsorship under Family Class/Permanent residence. Do these two need to be mailed together or seperate?
2. Apply for extension on visitor stay.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you need to apply to extend your visit visa a month before it expires.

You should send your sponsorship and PR applications together.

There are pretty good instructions at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp You can find the form to extend visit visa in the visit section and the sponsorship forms in the immigrate section. Follow the different links, read all the pages and especially read the application guides for your forms.

mk1988

Oct 24, 2008
Leon said:
Yes, you need to apply to extend your visit visa a month before it expires.

You should send your sponsorship and PR applications together.

There are pretty good instructions at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp You can find the form to extend visit visa in the visit section and the sponsorship forms in the immigrate section. Follow the different links, read all the pages and especially read the application guides for your forms.
Thank you! I've already read through most of that site, at least what I can find when I go. I just want to make sure there wasn't anything I'm missing.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
You can read through the information at the US2Canada website, and then email me with any questions. I'm a US citizen staying in Canada with my husband while our PR application is being finalized. I can help you with just about anything you need to know.

A couple of things to start with: you do need to apply to extend your visit, but you may or may not be able to do that by mail depending on what type of documentation you received entering Canada originally. And don't make the mistake of filing an inland application - especially if you didn't get documentation of your entry. Your timing and what type of ap you file, and when, is critical to things going smoothly for you.

mk1988

Oct 24, 2008
RobsLuv said:
You can read through the information at the US2Canada website, and then email me with any questions. I'm a US citizen staying in Canada with my husband while our PR application is being finalized. I can help you with just about anything you need to know.

A couple of things to start with: you do need to apply to extend your visit, but you may or may not be able to do that by mail depending on what type of documentation you received entering Canada originally. And don't make the mistake of filing an inland application - especially if you didn't get documentation of your entry. Your timing and what type of ap you file, and when, is critical to things going smoothly for you.
Thanks! I havent heard of that site yet.
I have entered Canada twice now. The first time was July 16th of this year, going to PEI to meet my boyfriend (we had been close online for a long time). I stayed there for about three weeks, because he was moving to BC for a job. We went through the US to get to BC because it was faster and would allow him to meet my parents. I did meet his parents and have met all of his siblings. I re-entered Canada with my boyfriend on August 13th and was given a Visitor Record (stapled in my passport, and written in) that is valid until the 12th of Feb 2009.
We have done pre-marriage counseling with the pastor of our church, but will not be able to have the all-out celebration until next year because we want both of our families to be able to attend. We just plan on having a small ceremony (Justice of the Peace, a few friends) very soon.
Would you suggest I wait a certain period of time before applying for PR/Sponsership of Spouse? We do have pictures and letters, also emails to prove we have been together a while.
I just want to make sure I am fully prepared for what I need to do and what I need to know.
I'm really glad I've stumbled upon this site, you've all been helpful!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
You only have to wait until you are legally married - being legally married (or having established a common-law relationship) is the only way that you qualify to apply to be sponsored for PR in the first place. Once you're married, get that paperwork in. There's no reason to wait - you're gonna wait for at least six months for approval as it is . . . no need to make it any longer than it has to be.

As far as having a civil ceremony - that is perfectly okay as far as CIC is concerned . . . you aren't forced to have a big wedding, but you can mention that you have plans to have a wedding ceremony when both families are available to attend.

mk1988

Oct 24, 2008
RobsLuv said:
You only have to wait until you are legally married - being legally married (or having established a common-law relationship) is the only way that you qualify to apply to be sponsored for PR in the first place. Once you're married, get that paperwork in. There's no reason to wait - you're gonna wait for at least six months for approval as it is . . . no need to make it any longer than it has to be.

As far as having a civil ceremony - that is perfectly okay as far as CIC is concerned . . . you aren't forced to have a big wedding, but you can mention that you have plans to have a wedding ceremony when both families are available to attend.
Thank you so much!!
If anyone has any other suggestions or advice (I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of or that might be secrets for having this be successful!) please let me know!