+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen Flying Within Canada

W

wallaby4rent

I am traveling to Newfoundland at the end of June. I will be flying out of Ottawa, which is where my boyfriend is from. When I cross into Canada from the US by car (before the flight), what should I expect when I tell them I'm flying out of Ottawa? Also, when I get to the airport, and I need to show ID, I'll be producing a US Passport. Will I get a hard time about "how did you get in the US?" and/or "do you have proof?" or anything else?

alpaca

May 11, 2009
You will clear customs when you cross the border in your car on your way to Ottawa. Just tell the truth, that you're traveling to Ottawa and then onto Newfoundland. Since your flight will be a domestic flight within Canada, you won't go through customs again. A US passport should work as valid ID for checking into a flight in Canada. The airline won't ask you how you got into Canada--if they do, say that you drove! If you were flying to Canada and back again, you'd have to show your US passport to get onto your return flight, it's not really any different. Hope that helps. I don't think you'll have any trouble at all, just based on my experience traveling between the US and Canada.