+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen...Can I get work permit THEN apply for PR?

goldilocks71

Oct 1, 2006
Can I get a work permit to work in Canada and then apply for Immigration once I'm there? My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen and I would like to move there to be with him. His company is willing to offer me a job. I qualify as a skilled worker, but this will take years, and I am a single mother and do not have the money required for settlement. Is getting the work permit a good idea or should I just give up? I'm anxious to get my new life started with my boyfriend of 2 years.

Thanks!

tikhacoffee

Oct 20, 2005
Sure you can. For americans is even easier because they don't need visa to go there. You need the company who's offering you the job to apply for HRSDC approval. Once you have they have the approval you can apply for a work permit in the US. After you get to Canada, if your employer is willing to give you a permanent job offer you can apply for PR or PNP. There's a lot of information at the cic's website www.cic.gc.ca

Good luck

kal

Aug 11, 2007
Hi Friends,

I am also looking the same but I am indian Citizen living in UK,
can somebody pls advice where to find job sponsor???

pls advice

Thanks

12Naddi123

Sep 7, 2016
US Citizen....looking to work in Canada

Hi all,

I am a US Citizen and I am in Canada as my husband is Canadian. I interviewed with a company and got a job but how do I go about getting a work permit? Someone recommended to drive to the border and apply for a permit on entry. Does anyone have any information on the process?

I will be applying for my PR later as well, but for now I just want to start working.

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: US Citizen....looking to work in Canada

12Naddi123 said:
Hi all,

I am a US Citizen and I am in Canada as my husband is Canadian. I interviewed with a company and got a job but how do I go about getting a work permit? Someone recommended to drive to the border and apply for a permit on entry. Does anyone have any information on the process?

I will be applying for my PR later as well, but for now I just want to start working.

Thanks in advance!
Does your job qualify under NAFTA? If so, then you can take the required paperwork to the border and obtain a work permit. If not, then your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA before you can apply for a work permit.