+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen as visitor

karan8625

Sep 30, 2021
Hi,

I need urgent advice- my daughter is holding US passport and we as parents have Canadian PR. We need to sponsor her PR application since she is newborn. Quick question - Can she enter Canada with her US passport as I was reading on cic site that US citizens are exempt from ETA also. Can she enter on basis of US Passport and stay for 6 months till her PR card application is approved
Is it possible her stay can be prolonged beyond 6 months if PR card is still not processed. if that is the case how can visitor stay be prolonged.

Please suggest asap. Appreciate response

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I need urgent advice- my daughter is holding US passport and we as parents have Canadian PR. We need to sponsor her PR application since she is newborn. Quick question - Can she enter Canada with her US passport as I was reading on cic site that US citizens are exempt from ETA also. Can she enter on basis of US Passport and stay for 6 months till her PR card application is approved
Is it possible her stay can be prolonged beyond 6 months if PR card is still not processed. if that is the case how can visitor stay be prolonged.

She can stay as visitor for 6 months and you can apply for extension closer to the end of 6 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Won’t be an issue but given currentlynprocessing times would that you’ll need to apply for an extension. Depending on the province you are moving to your baby may not qualify for health insurance so you should purchase emergency travel medical insurance before you leave for Canada (not sure if any policy allows you to purchase if you are already in Canada) and plan on paying for routine care. Compared to US it is very reasonable. Visits may be less than some people’s co-pays in the US.