+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-Canadian couple living in S Korea - inland or Outland?

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Hello,

My partner as I have been together since October 2018. I am 28 and she is 29. She is Canadian and I am American. We work as English teachers in South Korea, and we have lived together here since April. I have a master’s in secondary education and 3+ years of work experience abroad.

We recently took our first trip to Canada and the US together to meet each other’s families. I am planning on proposing to her soon and she and both of our families are on board with it. We have discussed getting legally married while we are still in Korea but would like to have the ceremony in Canada when our contracts in Korea are completed in August 2020.

Given all of these factors, I wonder if inland or Outland sponsorship would make more sense in our case. From what I understand, either process can take 12 months, though Outland is often much quicker for American citizens. If I were to apply Outland in say, October or November after getting legally married in Korea. Is it likely that it will be processed by the completion of our contracts in August 2020? If not, will I be able to visit her but not work in Canada? What is involved in proving an intention to live in Canada on her part?

I understand if we go the inland route, I can apply for the work permit, but that this could take several months to process. We are both teachers and as I understand it I can’t apply for permanent positions until I have my permanent residence. Would the work permit be sufficient to work as a supply teacher?

Her family is from Ontario but we would like to settle in Nova Scotia. We obviously do not have an apartment lined up in Nova Scotia yet, but her parents have already said we could use their address in Ontario for my application if needed, and that we can stay with them during any transitional period of a few weeks/months as we get settled in Canada.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hello,

My partner as I have been together since October 2018. I am 28 and she is 29. She is Canadian and I am American. We work as English teachers in South Korea, and we have lived together here since April. I have a master’s in secondary education and 3+ years of work experience abroad.

We recently took our first trip to Canada and the US together to meet each other’s families. I am planning on proposing to her soon and she and both of our families are on board with it. We have discussed getting legally married while we are still in Korea but would like to have the ceremony in Canada when our contracts in Korea are completed in August 2020.

Given all of these factors, I wonder if inland or Outland sponsorship would make more sense in our case. From what I understand, either process can take 12 months, though Outland is often much quicker for American citizens. If I were to apply Outland in say, October or November after getting legally married in Korea. Is it likely that it will be processed by the completion of our contracts in August 2020? If not, will I be able to visit her but not work in Canada? What is involved in proving an intention to live in Canada on her part?

I understand if we go the inland route, I can apply for the work permit, but that this could take several months to process. We are both teachers and as I understand it I can’t apply for permanent positions until I have my permanent residence. Would the work permit be sufficient to work as a supply teacher?

Her family is from Ontario but we would like to settle in Nova Scotia. We obviously do not have an apartment lined up in Nova Scotia yet, but her parents have already said we could use their address in Ontario for my application if needed, and that we can stay with them during any transitional period of a few weeks/months as we get settled in Canada.
You would not be able to apply inland until you were both actually in Canada and you would have to stay in Canada for the duration of the process. You can apply for an Open Work Permit at the same time as sending in your inland pack, but you can't work in Canada until that is approved (assume 3 - 5 months).

Outland might be your better bet. If your contracts finish in August 2020, then don't apply until say February 2020 as processing for US outland can take only 6 months (not guaranteed, but often quicker than the official 12 months quoted). That way you could continue in Korea and your Canadian OH would have some compelling proof of intent to return. On that subject, some stuff here on intent to return:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ_-_New_Application_Forms#Item_2:_How_do_I_prove_I_intend_to_return_to_Canada.3F

HTH.

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
You would not be able to apply inland until you were both actually in Canada and you would have to stay in Canada for the duration of the process. You can apply for an Open Work Permit at the same time as sending in your inland pack, but you can't work in Canada until that is approved (assume 3 - 5 months).

Outland might be your better bet. If your contracts finish in August 2020, then don't apply until say February 2020 as processing for US outland can take only 6 months (not guaranteed, but often quicker than the official 12 months quoted). That way you could continue in Korea and your Canadian OH would have some compelling proof of intent to return. On that subject, some stuff here on intent to return:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ_-_New_Application_Forms#Item_2:_How_do_I_prove_I_intend_to_return_to_Canada.3F

HTH.
Thank you, Hurlabrick. This information is very helpful. 2 quick questions:

1) In the event that the application takes more than the 6 months, would I be able to go to Canada as a visitor while it is still being processed? As a US citizen I can easily go to the US but would prefer to spend time with my wife as much as possible.

2) Since we plan to have our wedding ceremony after returning to North America so that our family and friends can attend, will a legal marriage at the courthouse in Korea be sufficient to apply for PR?

Thanks very much :)

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
1) In the event that the application takes more than the 6 months, would I be able to go to Canada as a visitor while it is still being processed? As a US citizen I can easily go to the US but would prefer to spend time with my wife as much as possible.
Yes, as long as you retain strong links back to the US and don't bring anything more than a visitor would.

2) Since we plan to have our wedding ceremony after returning to North America so that our family and friends can attend, will a legal marriage at the courthouse in Korea be sufficient to apply for PR?
No expert here, but probably.

You are a US / Canadian couple. As long as you marriage is legal, you are within 'cultural norms' (i.e. it is normal for US / Canadian couples to have legal weddings and not full five day ceremonies associated with other cultures).