+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Born New Zealander with 25 years of IT experience need advice

PilotGuyNZ

Jan 30, 2020
Wellington, NZ
Hi all, I am trying to emigrate to Canada from New Zealand. I was born in the US, live in NZ now (since 2006) and have 25 years professional IT experience from the USA, NZ and Australia. I don't get points from age as I am 49 yrs, but that being said how hard will it be for me to get into Canada with a PR? I also have 4 internationally recognized and sough after IT certifications and a bachelors degree from the US. I am currently a Sr IT Manager at a Bank; I am still very technical and hands on well.

Anyway does anyone have any advise on immigration and which province or city is best for me to target? I am thinking about Vancouver or VIctoria, BC.

Cheers
PilotGuyNZ

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all, I am trying to emigrate to Canada from New Zealand. I was born in the US, live in NZ now (since 2006) and have 25 years professional IT experience from the USA, NZ and Australia. I don't get points from age as I am 49 yrs, but that being said how hard will it be for me to get into Canada with a PR? I also have 4 internationally recognized and sough after IT certifications and a bachelors degree from the US. I am currently a Sr IT Manager at a Bank; I am still very technical and hands on well.

Anyway does anyone have any advise on immigration and which province or city is best for me to target? I am thinking about Vancouver or VIctoria, BC.

Cheers
PilotGuyNZ
It will be difficult for you to get PR due to your age. Canada's economic immigration programs are generally aimed at young workers.

The first step is to research Canada's immigration programs to see what it takes to qualify and apply (note that you won't be targeting specific cities - that's not how the immigration process works). Express Entry is a popular immigration program however, as you've said, you won't get enough points to be selected due to your age (you need around 470 points to be selected). Since applying for Express Entry directly is most likely out, you'll need to look into the provincial nominee programs (PNP). Each province has its own requirements. If you are interested in BC, start by researching the BC PNP program.

It's generally extremely difficult to secure a job offer before you are a PR. So you'll want to see if there's a way you can immigrate without having a job offer here.

Next steps are really to read as much as you can on the IRCC website about the provincial programs. I would also recommend you dedicate time to reading through the discussions on this topic in the PNP section of the forum.

Good luck.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What is your goals for immigrating? It also becomes harder to secure work later on in your career at a more senior level. I would not leave a current job without secured employment in Canada.

Reactions: zee90999

PilotGuyNZ

Jan 30, 2020
Wellington, NZ
What is your goals for immigrating? It also becomes harder to secure work later on in your career at a more senior level. I would not leave a current job without secured employment in Canada.
My goals are to work to about 75 years of age (like working actually), collect my NZ Super and retirement and live a peaceful life in Canada. I am eligible to collect all my retirement cash from Canada.

I'd never leave NZ without a job secured yet. ;-)

PilotGuyNZ

Jan 30, 2020
Wellington, NZ
It will be difficult for you to get PR due to your age. Canada's economic immigration programs are generally aimed at young workers.

The first step is to research Canada's immigration programs to see what it takes to qualify and apply (note that you won't be targeting specific cities - that's not how the immigration process works). Express Entry is a popular immigration program however, as you've said, you won't get enough points to be selected due to your age (you need around 470 points to be selected). Since applying for Express Entry directly is most likely out, you'll need to look into the provincial nominee programs (PNP). Each province has its own requirements. If you are interested in BC, start by researching the BC PNP program.

It's generally extremely difficult to secure a job offer before you are a PR. So you'll want to see if there's a way you can immigrate without having a job offer here.

Next steps are really to read as much as you can on the IRCC website about the provincial programs. I would also recommend you dedicate time to reading through the discussions on this topic in the PNP section of the forum.

Good luck.
NZ has a similar points system for immigration. However NZ immigration doesn't seem to "blacklist" people over 45 yrs old as Canada Immigration seems to be doing. While I am might 4 years over their "max range", the experience I bring to Canada is worth 2-3x a younger persons (eg. 30 years) experience by far. In short there are no 30 year old's with 25 years experience in their professional realm... LOL!

Your comment of "It's generally extremely difficult to secure a job offer before you are a PR. So you'll want to see if there's a way you can immigrate without having a job offer here." is a catch 22. I need PR to secure work, but can't get PR without a job offer. Its not like I work in a lowly skilled area; afterall I am Sr IT Leader in a highly technical field in the banking world. I'd think I'd be in high demand (like in NZ and Australia), so why would Canada's skilled employment area be any different? Hummm .

Cheers / thanks.

I will read up IRCC and articles on this website too.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
NZ has a similar points system for immigration. However NZ immigration doesn't seem to "blacklist" people over 45 yrs old as Canada Immigration seems to be doing. While I am might 4 years over their "max range", the experience I bring to Canada is worth 2-3x a younger persons (eg. 30 years) experience by far. In short there are no 30 year old's with 25 years experience in their professional realm... LOL!

Your comment of "It's generally extremely difficult to secure a job offer before you are a PR. So you'll want to see if there's a way you can immigrate without having a job offer here." is a catch 22. I need PR to secure work, but can't get PR without a job offer. Its not like I work in a lowly skilled area; afterall I am Sr IT Leader in a highly technical field in the banking world. I'd think I'd be in high demand (like in NZ and Australia), so why would Canada's skilled employment area be any different? Hummm .

Cheers / thanks.

Canada has an ageing population so the goals of immigration programs are to bring younger skilled workers to offset the ageing population. Although you want to work to age 75 it is not always possible for a variety of reasons. Still don’t quite understand the need to try to immigrate to Canada. Assume you are settled in NZ or could even return to the US.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Cheers / thanks.

You don't need a job offer to qualify for PR.

Employers don't want to go through the LMIA process which is required to give you a job offer before you are a PR. That's why it's so hard.

PilotGuyNZ

Jan 30, 2020
Wellington, NZ
Canada has an ageing population so the goals of immigration programs are to bring younger skilled workers to offset the ageing population. Although you want to work to age 75 it is not always possible for a variety of reasons. Still don’t quite understand the need to try to immigrate to Canada. Assume you are settled in NZ or could even return to the US.

True ageing populations is a problem for many countries such as the US, Japan (especially), Australia, and even here in NZ. Its about how you can you contribute ti the economy and for how long. Not everyone who reaches 70 years old is eg. dying from cancer and stuck in a wheelchair. milking off the medical systems. I am nearly 50, but as healthy as a healthy/fit 25 year old.

I am settled into NZ just fine, but my choice to want to emigrate to Canada is my personal choice for a myriad of personal reasons. Like your reason to move to Canada is (are) your private reason(s). Only my closest friends know these reasons. I don't want to return to the USA, which again is a personal decision for me.

Retirement age is not an enforceable law for countries like NZ, USA, Australia, and the UK. Its merely a line in the sand that tell you when you are finally eligible for government funded pensions, 401Ks, Superannuations, etc. Usually that age is 65. In short, the government can't stop you from working. Look at all those old elected politicians who are 70+ years of age.

Cheers mate :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
True ageing populations is a problem for many countries such as the US, Japan (especially), Australia, and even here in NZ. Its about how you can you contribute ti the economy and for how long. Not everyone who reaches 70 years old is eg. dying from cancer and stuck in a wheelchair. milking off the medical systems. I am nearly 50, but as healthy as a healthy/fit 25 year old.

I am settled into NZ just fine, but my choice to want to emigrate to Canada is my personal choice for a myriad of personal reasons. Like your reason to move to Canada is (are) your private reason(s). Only my closest friends know these reasons. I don't want to return to the USA, which again is a personal decision for me.

Retirement age is not an enforceable law for countries like NZ, USA, Australia, and the UK. Its merely a line in the sand that tell you when you are finally eligible for government funded pensions, 401Ks, Superannuations, etc. Usually that age is 65. In short, the government can't stop you from working. Look at all those old elected politicians who are 70+ years of age.

Cheers mate :)
I am pointing out that you may be counting on working 20+ years in Canada to qualify for a decent CPP but your desire to work until you are 75 is just a desire. Unfortunately very healthy people can get sick. There is also ageism in many industries so just pointing out that you must plan knowing working until 65 might not even be possible at least More lucrative jobs. When moving countries at this age it needs to be taken into account in terms of retirement planning. There was just someone posting a few days ago who moved from the UK and was also in a Senior tech position, just under 50 and is extremely disappointed/angry that he has not been able to find employment. Moving to a new country in your 50s, unless you have been headhunted or are being sent to another location by your employer, can be very difficult.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Cheers / thanks.

Maybe you just need to get on a plane and do some networking in Canada to see how valuable or not your 25 years of experience are to Canadian employers. Assume you still have a US passport and probably a NZ passport so apart from getting an ETA if travelling on the latter at least you do not have the obstacle of applying for a TRV. Only obvious tip would be at the border to not of course say purpose of trip is to look for a job .

PilotGuyNZ

Jan 30, 2020
Wellington, NZ
You don't need a job offer to qualify for PR.

Employers don't want to go through the LMIA process which is required to give you a job offer before you are a PR. That's why it's so hard.
Unsure mate, a good job offer provides you points towards PR. With getting zero points for age (over 45) one kinda needs to have a job offer to get offered PR?

PilotGuyNZ

Jan 30, 2020
Wellington, NZ
Maybe you just need to get on a plane and do some networking in Canada to see how valuable or not your 25 years of experience are to Canadian employers. Assume you still have a US passport and probably a NZ passport so apart from getting an ETA if travelling on the latter at least you do not have the obstacle of applying for a TRV. Only obvious tip would be at the border to not of course say purpose of trip is to look for a job .
I travel on a NZ passport. Its an easy one for travel. What's a TRV? Sorry all these new acronyms are throwing me a curveball.

I can come up for up to 90 days travel visa right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I travel on a NZ passport. Its an easy one for travel. What's a TRV? Sorry all these new acronyms are throwing me a curveball.

I can come up for up to 90 days travel visa right?
You don't need a TRV with a kiwi passport - just an eTA. TRV is a tourist visa. You're visa exempt so you just need an eTA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unsure mate, a good job offer provides you points towards PR. With getting zero points for age (over 45) one kinda needs to have a job offer to get offered PR?
Again, no - you don't need a job offer. Recommend you look into the Provincial Nominee Programs. This is the alternative if you don't have enough points for Express Entry.

If you really want to try for job offer, your employer will need to get an approved LMIA. This is a very involved, long and expensive process with no guarantee of approval at the end. It's honestly extremely difficult to find employers who are willing to do it. If you're going to try, recommend you familiarize yourself with what it will take. Details below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/median-wage/high/requirements.html