+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US born baby: PR without passport?

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Hi, Need expert advice here.
We are Indian citizens in US, expecting an ITA anytime now. My H1B is expiring soon and I would like to move to CA asap on PR . We recently had a baby born and I foresee around 1.5 months lead time to get baby's passport (given the fact that pport takes birth certificate and SSN). I would like to save those 1.5 months (already have medical (including baby's), police clearance etc ready) thus is it possible to get COPR for baby without passport i.e. based on her birth certificate or some other doc only?

And IF NOT, does the application allow provision to mention that we want for myself and spouse only and allow us declare the baby as accompanying but stating that he doesn't need a PR. Then once we have COPR,in say 2/3 months, we do soft landing using our PR and his US passport ?

Thanks, Raghuram.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you search this forum then a Canadian PR had a baby while she was vacationing in USA. As far as I can recall they were able to bring US citizen baby to Canada on birth certificate. Also call CBSA and IRCC to discuss this.

You can add baby to application as non-accompanying but I am afraid even this process will take couple of months.

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
If you search this forum then a Canadian PR had a baby while she was vacationing in USA. As far as I can recall they were able to bring US citizen baby to Canada on birth certificate. Also call CBSA and IRCC to discuss this.

You can add baby to application as non-accompanying but I am afraid even this process will take couple of months.

Thanks for your reply. I had seen the thread you pointed to but my case is diff. as we are applying PR (not already having one) so question is, is there an option to apply for PR sans one family member who is US citizen and thus can anyway enter CA on birth certificate or American passport. Goal is simple, avoid all probable delays for now, get PR ASAP and take up baby's PR process later on from within CA.

And about 2nd point, won't declaring the baby as non-accompanying make the case look fishy in the first place itself giving the impression that we are not planning to bring the baby along?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
As far as I know, all the family members need to be declared in an application, else it's an immigration fraud. You will also be asked at the landing POE if your family composition has changed.

Declaring dependent as non-accompanying is not at all fishy. I know many people do it in Quebec sub-forum to increase their points and hence chances of PR. They later sponsor dependents after moving to Canada on PR.

Reactions: RaghuR

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
As far as I know, all the family members need to be declared in an application, else it's an immigration fraud. You will also be asked at the landing POE if your family composition has changed.

Declaring dependent as non-accompanying is not at all fishy. I know many people do it in Quebec sub-forum to increase their points and hence chances of PR. They later sponsor dependents after moving to Canada on PR.

So if I understand you correctly, only legit way to carry baby without PR is to mark him non-accompanying, thus doing away with the need of his PR? Then he uses his american passport to travel with us to CA and from there we can start his PR process? Can you pls confirm?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So if I understand you correctly, only legit way to carry baby without PR is to mark him non-accompanying, thus doing away with the need of his PR? Then he uses his american passport to travel with us to CA and from there we can start his PR process? Can you pls confirm?
Yes, you must fully declare the baby. If you include him as non-accompanying, you will not need his passport and he will not become a PR with you. He can enter Canada with his US birth certificate and you will need to sponsor him for PR. Note that depending on the province, the child may not be eligible for provincial health coverage until becoming a PR.

Or you just wait until the US passport comes and include the child as accompanying.

Reactions: RaghuR

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Does birth certificate take very long in your state? In my experience we had received the passport in under a month after birth. The passport itself is pretty quick and there is expedited processing available. Instead of going through all this rigamorale, I would advise doing the normal process.

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Does birth certificate take very long in your state? In my experience we had received the passport in under a month after birth. The passport itself is pretty quick and there is expedited processing available. Instead of going through all this rigamorale, I would advise doing the normal process.
THIS.....Getting birth certificate should be couple of hours at most as long as data is available at county registration office. Go to county registrar's office after a week of baby's birth and they can print the certificate then and there. Takes few min at most once the information is available in the county DB.

As far as passport is concerned, with expedited processing, passport can be had within couple of days. I have done all these less than a year ago when I had to add my baby to my PR application. Within 2 weeks of my daughter being born, we had her passport in hand in less than 2 weeks. Not sure why you want to go through all the trouble to sponsor the baby at a later date and unnecessary complications it can bring.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Even I would like to avoid that hassle so my first option is to get the PR for the baby along with us but I wanted to understand the fallback options as well. Let's see how does passport thing go. I would report the final timelines for the benefit / reference of others. Appreciate you guys inputs. Thanks.

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
When you will be filling out the info of your dependents after the ITA, you will be asked to provide some form of id for them, including your baby.

The problem there is that the form won't accept any document that has no expiration date on it. Therefore SSN and Birth Certificate won't work. In addition to that, your child will need to have medical exam done. In order to perform the examination, a doctor's office will ask you to provide a photo ID for your baby. SSN and Birth Certificate won't apply there either.

I was in the exact same situation. I applied for a non-driver ID for my son in order to get medicals done as it's a photo ID. After that I applied for my son's passport. I opted for the expedited option in order to get the passport on time before my 60 days after ITA expired.

My advice to you would be to apply for the passport ASAP.

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Even I would like to avoid that hassle so my first option is to get the PR for the baby along with us but I wanted to understand the fallback options as well. Let's see how does passport thing go. I would report the final timelines for the benefit / reference of others. Appreciate you guys inputs. Thanks.
Good Luck!
BTW, you do not need to have SSN for submitting PR Application. Only birth certificate & passport are sufficient. Anyhow, you will get SSN number in couple of weeks as well as long as hospital submitted the information to SS Administration in a timely manner.