+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US based Pilot, Dutch wife - Canadian residency conundrum

Bradv5489

Nov 16, 2020
Hello all,

I have a bit of a complicated situation and hoping to find some information here.

I am a US citizen and pilot for a US airline. I have a Dutch wife and child living in the Netherlands. I work a 2 week on/ off schedule and am flying back and forth from the states to Holland. I feel Canada offers more for my family than bringing them to the US and I’m not tied to anywhere in the US, all I need is to be able to fly to/from my base once a month. I already have a grasp of the tax treaty in regards to pilots and that isn‘t much of an issue. Also, as far as my research has taken me, I satisfy the presence in Canada to maintain permanent residency.

My main concern is what options exist for situations such as this? Is express entry an option, as this isn’t a question of gaining employment, but everything else with bringing my family over.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Brad

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hello all,

I have a bit of a complicated situation and hoping to find some information here.

I am a US citizen and pilot for a US airline. I have a Dutch wife and child living in the Netherlands. I work a 2 week on/ off schedule and am flying back and forth from the states to Holland. I feel Canada offers more for my family than bringing them to the US and I’m not tied to anywhere in the US, all I need is to be able to fly to/from my base once a month. I already have a grasp of the tax treaty in regards to pilots and that isn‘t much of an issue. Also, as far as my research has taken me, I satisfy the presence in Canada to maintain permanent residency.

My main concern is what options exist for situations such as this? Is express entry an option, as this isn’t a question of gaining employment, but everything else with bringing my family over.

Kind regards,

Brad
I think the first step is to check how many points you have: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

You will need at least 470 to have a good chance at PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

Kind regards,

Brad
As said above, Express Entry is an option if you can score enough point. Have you calculated your points yet? If not, start there to determine feasibility of your plans.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

Kind regards,

Brad
Not sure if in your research you determined you'd be a Canadian tax resident if your family is living in Canada no matter how much time you spend in Canada. As a US citizen you'll pay US taxes no matter what.

Bradv5489

Nov 16, 2020
Not sure if in your research you determined you'd be a Canadian tax resident if your family is living in Canada no matter how much time you spend in Canada. As a US citizen you'll pay US taxes no matter what.
Yes, that was my first concern before even digging further to where I’m at in my research now. There is a Canada/ US tax treaty that means I pay taxes in the airspace worked if the airline is a US airline with Canadian tax residency. If there is any Canadian tax due, the IRS gives a tax credit to Canadian taxes paid.

Bradv5489

Nov 16, 2020
Yes, that was my first concern before even digging further to where I’m at in my research now. There is a Canada/ US tax treaty that means I pay taxes in the airspace worked if the airline is a US airline with Canadian tax residency. If there is any Canadian tax due, the IRS gives a tax credit to Canadian taxes paid.
I just won’t be able to contribute to US tax sheltered retirement accounts

Bradv5489

Nov 16, 2020
As said above, Express Entry is an option if you can score enough point. Have you calculated your points yet? If not, start there to determine feasibility of your plans.

I got 483 points without provincial nomination, but apparently there is a provincial nomination possibility in British Columbia and Alberta, which would bump the score up 600 points.

My largest concern was with my intention of staying with my current employer but gaining residency through this program. I’d like to flight instruct in Canada on the side on my off time, but my primary intention on immigrating is moving my family there and not employment. Under these pretenses, there isn’t a lot of info out there, but with the Express Entry not linked to a job, with the intention of residing permanently does seem to satisfy the goal of the program.

“The best immigration program for you to move to Canada as a pilot, flight engineer or flying instructor, is the Express Entry system, however, those who express interest in a particular province or territory and applies through a Provincial Nominee Program that has a high demand for their occupation, will increase their chances of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent Canadian residence by receiving a Provincial Nomination (PN). Provinces that currently urgently need pilots are Alberta and British Columbia.”

Thanks for the reply!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got 483 points without provincial nomination, but apparently there is a provincial nomination possibility in British Columbia and Alberta, which would bump the score up 600 points.

My largest concern was with my intention of staying with my current employer but gaining residency through this program. I’d like to flight instruct in Canada on the side on my off time, but my primary intention on immigrating is moving my family there and not employment. Under these pretenses, there isn’t a lot of info out there, but with the Express Entry not linked to a job, with the intention of residing permanently does seem to satisfy the goal of the program.

“The best immigration program for you to move to Canada as a pilot, flight engineer or flying instructor, is the Express Entry system, however, those who express interest in a particular province or territory and applies through a Provincial Nominee Program that has a high demand for their occupation, will increase their chances of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent Canadian residence by receiving a Provincial Nomination (PN). Provinces that currently urgently need pilots are Alberta and British Columbia.”

Thanks for the reply!
Your 483 score is more than enough to be selected. You don't need the 600 points. You don't have to demonstrate and intention to work in Canada. So you are good to move ahead. Get your education assessed and take the language test. You need the to results of these two things before you can set up an Express Entry profile.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would really suggest meeting with an accountant. Seems like there will be a lot of variables in your case like how many days you'll be spending in Canada, how many days you'll be in the US, your family living full-time in Canada, whether you are teaching as well in Canada, whether there is a Canadian branch of your employer, etc. Canada has partial medicare so unless your spouse gets a job the offers a benefit plan you may not have coverage for dental care, vision care, prescription medications, all forms of therapy and many other things.