sam9589

Aug 7, 2017
AOR Received.
08/08/2017
Med's Done....
31/08/2017
Passport Req..
17/10/2017
Honestly I have no idea, though I've been assuming in-person was necessary. I could very easily be wrong - I've rarely had to do so and only in cases where it was easier to go to a branch anyway. I would recommend keeping the US TD account open for convenience. The min on my account is only $100 so that's easy enough to spare, and then when we visit the US we can use their debit card.

For more possibly unnecessary detail, right now we need our old main brick-and-mortar bank's accounts (at Regions) open to finalize bills for our house so we haven't been able to consider closing those just yet. I think eventually our US accounts will just be our Ally high-interest savings and a TD account. It's just going to take waiting on the house stuff to finalize and then doing changeovers for a few different billing things (like our Discover credit cards) to close our accounts at Regions and it's just not on our radar much right now since we can afford to keep enough in to avoid their fees and we're so burned out on anything paperwork related right now!

Long-long term, we'd probably ditch the Ally account but for now we're not committed to moving all of our money into CAD just in case anything in our life or politically (read: events affecting conversion rates) changes.
@moose17 , ohh Yes! that makes total sense.
When you move to Canada, how did you move your stuff (furniture etc.)? Did you use U-Haul or shipped or hired movers?

ikikik

Mar 26, 2018
Will tax refund be acceptable for proof of funds?
Also, do we need to submit transcripts? I mean we got the ECA from WES so still is it necessary?

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
@mike2236, thanks for the info. I looked into that option. But, the nearest TD bank from my place (Chicago) is about 250 to 300 Miles.
I will see whether I can open online account to save that long trip. Or else the other option would be getting the bank drafts.
BTW if I take bank drafts, I think it will incur currency exchange charges/fees, correct?
You can get the bank draft in USD. Open a USD bank account in any Canadian Bank (I opened mine with CIBC). Deposit the draft and keep USD and get interest on that amount too (currently 2.3 percent I guess). Whenever you feel like transferring funds to CAD account, do it when the exchange rates are good. This is the best option in my opinion.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
@moose17 , ohh Yes! that makes total sense.
When you move to Canada, how did you move your stuff (furniture etc.)? Did you use U-Haul or shipped or hired movers?
We rented a U-Haul, which my father-in-law ended up driving (he's done much longer drives than this one and in much larger vehicles so it didn't phase him at all), and hired movers for loading and unloading on each end. It worked out really, really well for us. We also split the drive up with the overnight just before crossing the border so we got all the border stuff done before customs on each side got crowded. It also meant we weren't dealing with border crap the same day we left our house, which was incredibly hectic at the end (though thankfully not emotional because I simply had no energy for it) so doing that plus the car export/import/etc would have killed me. For where we were to where we were going, that all meant driving 5.5 hours the first day and 3 hours the second day.

For someone not dealing with a house (or a toddler) it would be easier to do all the driving in a day or go without movers but in our case, we wouldn't have managed had we made it any harder on ourselves. I hadn't been that tired since my daughter was a newborn.

kevkek

Mar 31, 2018
Hi All,
I tried calling 613 944 4000 from Chicago but it said that toll number doesn't work from my area. Did anyone else had that issue calling from USA?. If yes, is there a different number I can call. Please help.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
I had the same trouble, I downloaded and app and used a Canadian number, to call the CIC number in Canada and it was a lot easier to get through.

Hi All,
I tried calling 613 944 4000 from Chicago but it said that toll number doesn't work from my area. Did anyone else had that issue calling from USA?. If yes, is there a different number I can call. Please help.

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
I had the same trouble, I downloaded and app and used a Canadian number, to call the CIC number in Canada and it was a lot easier to get through.
Do you mind sharing the app name? Is it Skype (don't know how to do the Canadian number thing though)?

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
We got our PR cards today just under a month after mailing out photo replacements. I had expected it to take 6 weeks but was getting antsy about checking the mail just in case (considering myself ridiculous to be clear) but today there were 3 envelopes in there with Canada's government logo thing in the return address spot. What a great way to end the week! I'm so glad to finally not need those awful, inconvenient, delicate COPRs to prove our status!

Mrs. Kow

Jan 5, 2018
Virginia, USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
27/12/2017
AOR Received.
28/12//2017
Med's Done....
05/03/2018
Passport Req..
05-09-2018
LANDED..........
14-10-2018
Hi All,
I was able to get a call through in January by using Google Hangouts.

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
@tjsecondtry - I have read that you are pursuing further studies in Canada. I am also thinking on similar steps but from a college in the USA.

Are you aware of the Graudate certificate programs here in USA? I have checked from Boston University and U Mass. I see 12 and 16 credit courses and this will give me a graduate certificate upon completion (hopefully in summer+ fall or fall + spring semester). I already have a 4 year's bachelor degree.

Will the 12/16 credit graduate certificate be valid for 2 or more degree, so I can get higher points in express entry. Don't know what is the equivalent version of graduate certificate in Canada.

Other members too, please help!!!!!
I've never investigated the 2 or more degree criteria. Sorry.

shalij12

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
We got our PR cards today just under a month after mailing out photo replacements. I had expected it to take 6 weeks but was getting antsy about checking the mail just in case (considering myself ridiculous to be clear) but today there were 3 envelopes in there with Canada's government logo thing in the return address spot. What a great way to end the week! I'm so glad to finally not need those awful, inconvenient, delicate COPRs to prove our status!
i have a questons on NOC, can there be more than one NOC code in same skill type. if the NOC from primary application changes while fillind application ITA will there be a problem

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
i have a questons on NOC, can there be more than one NOC code in same skill type. if the NOC from primary application changes while fillind application ITA will there be a problem
I have no idea since my husband's NOC code was straightforward. I would try asking in a more general or new thread since this thread's a smaller group who, like me, may not have dealt with that issue.