+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
From that page: You might also need to take a written test or road tests, before you get a full licence. It depends on your circumstances.

The person on the phone said everyone takes the written test. But I don't know for sure.
That lady on phone probably gave you incorrect information. Well if you ever do it before I get a chance to please let me know what happens. I will definitely let know as well either way.

From the page itself:

"2+ years driving experience (with exchange)
You only need to take an eye test, when you apply. After you pass this test, you get a full licence."

Last edited:

wonbinofchina

Dec 4, 2017
So glad we have a thread for US based applicants!!

Just wanted to gather your thoughts on my situation.
I spent some time exploring the job opportunities in Canada, mainly in the big cities, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Calgary.
Looks like there are not many out there, which matches my background and expectation. The big Tech companies are all in Toronto but have mainly soft engineer positions.

Right now I live in the Bay Area and work for one of the big companies. My pay and benefit are decent. If I were to move to Canada, I would expect at least 40% pay cut based on my research. However, given the instability of the US green card policy, I wanted to have Canada as option B. Honestly, I don't really want to wait for 9 yrs for a green card.

What I plan to do is wait until the 3 years are up and then make a decision, so that I can still maintain my Canada PR status.
I believe some of you are maybe in a similar situation, please share your thoughts. Thanks

TECC_Seneca

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, my fiance has the following timeline:
AOR: 26th Dec 2017
Additional doc requested: Jan 10th, Submitted Jan 11th.
After this the application, details section still says,"Your action is required". I was hoping we will have at least the medicals passed till now. Is there an email I can write to CIC to?

Let me know please
Thanks

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
I was able to pick up my paper degrees from my parents' house this weekend, so I should be able to submit for ECA today. I have an M.Sc. and B.A. from a US university and was planning on only having the M.Sc. assessed-- this is okay, right? Is there any reason I should have my B.A. assessed as well?
As long as your Masters is from a reputable US university you should be fine to only send it for assessment.

Reactions: northern sunshine

Faky201

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca

Guys, my fiance has the following timeline:
AOR: 26th Dec 2017
Additional doc requested: Jan 10th, Submitted Jan 11th.
After this the application, details section still says,"Your action is required". I was hoping we will have at least the medicals passed till now. Is there an email I can write to CIC to?

Let me know please
Thanks

bells24

Dec 7, 2017
Hi all. Is anyone planning to continue working in the U.S. while living in Canada? That's my plan if we get in, but I'm trying to compare what kind of additional taxes we'll typically owe when we reconcile at tax time and I can't find any sort of calculator online to help me figure that out. I'm also trying to figure out how my U.S. employer will have to pay me - I imagine I'll need to transfer my banking over to a Canadian bank, but then does that affect my employer - paying someone in Canada vs. U.S. as far as taxes? Very confused. Thanks for any info!

thisworks

Star Member
Apr 17, 2017
Boston, US
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
02-10-2017
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Med's Done....
10-08-2017
Passport Req..
12-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-10-2017
So glad we have a thread for US based applicants!!

Just wanted to gather your thoughts on my situation.
I spent some time exploring the job opportunities in Canada, mainly in the big cities, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Calgary.
Looks like there are not many out there, which matches my background and expectation. The big Tech companies are all in Toronto but have mainly soft engineer positions.

Right now I live in the Bay Area and work for one of the big companies. My pay and benefit are decent. If I were to move to Canada, I would expect at least 40% pay cut based on my research. However, given the instability of the US green card policy, I wanted to have Canada as option B. Honestly, I don't really want to wait for 9 yrs for a green card.

What I plan to do is wait until the 3 years are up and then make a decision, so that I can still maintain my Canada PR status.
I believe some of you are maybe in a similar situation, please share your thoughts. Thanks
Thats' exactly what many people from the US, including myself, may end up doing.

wonbinofchina

Dec 4, 2017
Hi all. Is anyone planning to continue working in the U.S. while living in Canada? That's my plan if we get in, but I'm trying to compare what kind of additional taxes we'll typically owe when we reconcile at tax time and I can't find any sort of calculator online to help me figure that out. I'm also trying to figure out how my U.S. employer will have to pay me - I imagine I'll need to transfer my banking over to a Canadian bank, but then does that affect my employer - paying someone in Canada vs. U.S. as far as taxes? Very confused. Thanks for any info!
how would this work??

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
@Ang&Guille (and anyone else who may export/import a Mazda), I just got my recall clearance letter from Mazda and they included some of the potential modification issues like this:

The compliance status with respect to Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) is given below
(Yes-Complies with Canadian requirement; No-Does not comply with Canadian requirement):
Yes CMVSS 108 - Lighting Equipment (daytime running lights or DRL’s)
Yes CMVSS 210 - Seat Belt Assembly Anchorages
Yes CMVSS 210.1 - Tether Anchorages for Child Restraints (lacks anchorage hardware only)
Yes CMVSS 114 - Locking System

It also arrived within hours of emailing them the form from https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/images/contact-us/usa_canada_imp_exp_form.pdf so that was really nice. I suspected the DRLs and locking systems were fine, but it's nice to have it written so plainly. I also noticed my VIN number sticker had French on it so I suspect the labels they want to have in French elsewhere in the car should be good to go too.

On to the rest of the export/import process!

Reactions: cvaib

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
quick question, for the US banks, what kind of proof of fund you guys get?
I used my bank statements. Huntington Bank refused to give a signed letter stating my balance due to liability issues on their end.