+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
Oh wow, PEI is a very small province, and not many people go there. I did look into their PNP program but am not sure I would want to settle there, and it seems they are not looking for ICT workers at this time. What do you see as the advantages of PEI in terms of settling there? Have you been there?
I have never been to PEI. The only time I have spent in Canada is in Toronto. As a older applicant my CRS score would realistically never hit the level to get a ITA. The other PNPs were not open to me except maybe Saskatchewan, and I was not interested in Saskatchewan. In 2016 PEI must have been interested in ICT workers since they nominated me. Their nomination process is very opaque (assuming it is still the same), you fill a small form to express interest and then somehow they pick you to get nominated.

They have a decent ICT scene there. Of course it is going to be small since the province is small. Based on my research they need web developers (front end, back end etc) & game development related stuff. As a embedded systems developer, game development jobs are ones I could apply for (c/c++). My current employers are also supportive so first choice is to try to work for them as a remote employee ( that is mostly dependent on their customer allowing it).

Considering one no longer needs to have a job simply for health insurance, I can also explore either doing a tech startup or doing some other conventional business. So lots of things to explore and think about. :)

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
I believe so. I dont think they ask for a local police certificate but it wouldnt hurt to get one. All you need to do is go to the local police station and put a request for police clearance certificate. I did it, even if it wasnt specifically asked for, just in case.
Hi all, I just applied for EE a couple of days ago with a score of 444. I'm thinking that will be good enough to get an invite in the next few rounds, so I got my fingerprints done today through a channeler. I got the report back and it says:
A SEARCH OF THE FINGERPRINTS PROVIDED BY
THIS INDIVIDUAL HAS REVEALED NO PRIOR
ARREST DATA AT THE FBI. THIS DOES NOT
PRECLUDE FURTHER CRIMINAL HISTORY AT
THE STATE OR LOCAL LEVEL.

Is that what they all say? Do I need to get a local police certificate, too?
That's what ours said as well and it seemed to be enough. Having said that, they later requested a RCMP criminal background check for me (the Canadian version of the FBI background check).

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
I have never been to PEI. The only time I have spent in Canada is in Toronto. As a older applicant my CRS score would realistically never hit the level to get a ITA. The other PNPs were not open to me except maybe Saskatchewan, and I was not interested in Saskatchewan. In 2016 PEI must have been interested in ICT workers since they nominated me. Their nomination process is very opaque (assuming it is still the same), you fill a small form to express interest and then somehow they pick you to get nominated.

They have a decent ICT scene there. Of course it is going to be small since the province is small. Based on my research they need web developers (front end, back end etc) & game development related stuff. As a embedded systems developer, game development jobs are ones I could apply for (c/c++). My current employers are also supportive so first choice is to try to work for them as a remote employee ( that is mostly dependent on their customer allowing it).

Considering one no longer needs to have a job simply for health insurance, I can also explore either doing a tech startup or doing some other conventional business. So lots of things to explore and think about. :)
How long did it take for you to receive the PNP from PEI? When did you apply? What did you put for your reason for wanting to immigrate to PEI (that is one of the questions on the application form and I wasn't sure what to put!)

I am also an older (40+) applicant who needs PNP to get ITA because my CRS is low enough as it is and will drop another 11 points on my birthday in February. I really want to get OINP because I really want to be in Toronto. I want to be in a large city with a lot of opportunities, and Toronto has many opportunities in technology as well as many other fields. But I missed the July 25 registration deadline by a day and have been waiting every day since then for it to reopen. Unfortunately I currently don't qualify for any other PNP program, although I am keeping an eye on SINP and New Brunswick and Nova Scotia PNP, in case my NOC code ever gets included. I would have qualified for New Brunswick when they were open to a few ICT fields if there had been an info session I could have attended. And someone who is also an ICT worker posted recently that PEI is not currently looking for people in his field:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prince-edward-island-pnp.361460/page-57#post-6462764
It seems that for many people, applying for PEI PNP is like sending an application into a black hole.

And yes, I think Canada is a better place than the US for starting your own business due to not having to worry about lack of health insurance when you leave your corporate employee job. I do not like the US system where you have to be tied to a time-consuming and often boring employee job to get affordable health insurance. Besides protesting Trump, racism, sexism, and bigotry, this is my other main reason for immigrating to Canada.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Hi @trumprefugee and @moose17! Our application actually just got approved this Friday, which is very exciting (and stress relieving) for us. COPR should be here on Monday (per FedEx). :)

On why we're immigrating, we're on the same boat really. My wife has always wanted to live abroad. Kind of a "life goal" for both of us, but not really in the cards due to life in general. However, after the election my BIL applied for a job in Canada both out of frustration from the election (the old "we're moving to Canada!" joke) as well as a kind of bad situation at his workplace. It turns out the employers took the application very seriously and jumped at the chance to bring him in. A few months later and he's now very happily relocated in Canada with his young children.

That pushed us to do the same. Because of the same reasons, really: healthcare, education (college costs), mass murders happening almost every week, guns everywhere, crazy ultra-conservative politics, Trump's daily barrage of crazy... the list is fairly big.

One big thing for us, my wife and her family are all legal Hispanic immigrants (naturalized US citizens) who grew up in the States. My sister-in-law is a very recent immigrant from another Hispanic country (now also a US citizen). I'm as Puerto Rican as you can get, so a multi-generational American citizen (but still obviously Latino). Why that's relevant is that everything that happened during the election related to immigrants and Hispanics in particular felt to my wife and her family like a very personal and very hurtful repudiation of who they are. It opened up our eyes to a lot of things we used to take for granted or ignore before. I sadly I don't think a lot Americans will ever be able to understand (or care) about that.

On the subject of jobs, my wife (primary breadwinner now) has been networking for the whole year with folks in her field in BC. She actually already had a very good offer, but it was for a temporary 1 year contract and we had to decline. We're hopeful once PR goes through it gets us over one of the biggest hurdles for getting her employed, outside of lack of open positions in her field. As for me, I'm a stay-at-home dad as of December (when I finally quit my job), but I plan to hopefully get another job once my wife finds a good job there. Networking seems to be the key, and starting as soon as you can is best. We've been lucky enough to travel to Canada a few times this year, and she's prioritized networking with folks in her field every time.

On the issue of family, that's a toughie. It's a very unique situation for everyone, I'm guessing. I still haven't told my side of the family. Most of them (all of the ones in TX) are hardcore irrational Trump supporters, especially my parents. We get along great, and love each other very much, but holy moley no one can ever bring up politics when we're together. And if anyone does, I shoot them down fast. Oil and water. My dad's so stubborn he puts entire packs of mules to shame.

Bottom line is that the move isn't really about politics. It's about trying to give your nuclear family the best opportunity you believe they can have. If we had to move to another state due to work, would that be any different? It's my own personal opinion that if they take it badly, that's more their problem than ours. In our particular situation, we almost already broke relations with them after the election. They decided to issue an ultimatum that they never, ever wanted to see my wife's family (who live in the same town), again because they felt insulted by something my BIL posted in FB. That just about broke us. They're lucky my wife forgave them, but that does not mean we will ever forget.

Ultimately, and this may sound somewhat selfish, we have to do what's best for us and our daughters. And if that's moving to Canada, that's what it is. My family will always be welcome in our house, be it here (about 1.5 - 2 hours away) or in Canada. And it's not like they (retired and financially doing well) can't visit. Regardless, I'll still wait until things are settled and we're definitely moving. I don't want to stir up drama while we're still here when things may not happen (no job for wife, no move). Not much more I think I can do other than that.

Thanks for sharing your story, @JERiv. Where in Canada is your BIL? That's great and impressive that he got the job. Because I knew my CRS would be low, I also tried first to get a job offer before applying for EE, but unfortunately I have done very badly in my job search, including losing a job I had been virtually assured of getting sans written offer letter, because the company decided to cancel that job.

From what I have heard from many people and also personally seen, it is far easier to find a job once you are a PR, and especially when you are PR living in Canada. I actually have made my resume and job profile on job boards appear at first glance that I am already in Canada, and I have had recruiters contact me who are interested until I tell them I will need visa sponsorship. Given that your wife has already gotten a job offer, although only a temporary one, it sounds like she should have no problems finding a job once you guys are in Canada. So after you guys get PR, don't feel that she needs to have a job offer before you guys can move.

It baffles me how some of the people in the groups Trump openly insults (women, Latinos, Muslims, and especially Puerto Ricans, given how he has handled things since the hurricane) can keep supporting him. I also feel personally offended and attacked by the racism, sexism, bigotry, and general anti-immigrant sentiments that not only come directly from Trump but have become more and more common in the US since the election. I am also a non-white, naturalized US citizen who grew up in the US.

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
How long did it take for you to receive the PNP from PEI? When did you apply? What did you put for your reason for wanting to immigrate to PEI (that is one of the questions on the application form and I wasn't sure what to put!)

I am also an older (40+) applicant who needs PNP to get ITA because my CRS is low enough as it is and will drop another 11 points on my birthday in February. I really want to get OINP because I really want to be in Toronto. I want to be in a large city with a lot of opportunities, and Toronto has many opportunities in technology as well as many other fields. But I missed the July 25 registration deadline by a day and have been waiting every day since then for it to reopen. Unfortunately I currently don't qualify for any other PNP program, although I am keeping an eye on SINP and New Brunswick and Nova Scotia PNP, in case my NOC code ever gets included. I would have qualified for New Brunswick when they were open to a few ICT fields if there had been an info session I could have attended. And someone who is also an ICT worker posted recently that PEI is not currently looking for people in his field:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prince-edward-island-pnp.361460/page-57#post-6462764
It seems that for many people, applying for PEI PNP is like sending an application into a black hole.

And yes, I think Canada is a better place than the US for starting your own business due to not having to worry about lack of health insurance when you leave your corporate employee job. I do not like the US system where you have to be tied to a time-consuming and often boring employee job to get affordable health insurance. Besides protesting Trump, racism, sexism, and bigotry, this is my other main reason for immigrating to Canada.
Here is my PEI timeline:

LOI to PEI : 03 Aug 2016
ITA from PEI: 18 Oct 2016
Full application submitted to PEI: 12 Nov 2016
Request for Fee from PEI: 27 Jan 2017
Fee delivery: 02 Feb 2017
Nomination date: 24 Feb 2017

I would have got the nomination earlier but PEI used up their quota for 2016, hence had to wait for 2017 started before I got the nomination. So compared to OINP (which seems to take about a year) PEI is quick. There is no doubt though for ICT workers, Ontario or BC are simpler choices.

In terms of reason for emigrating to PEI, I echoed some of the points they mentioned on their website about while PEI is a good place to move to, since those are true. I also briefly put in my plans for business.

Reactions: trumprefugee

tryngcanada

Aug 8, 2017
Hi,
I have a question for those of you applying,
1) especially those applying for PNP - Did you use a lawyer or DIY?
2) After applying for Online Express Entry Profile without a job offer, say, I get a job offer with LMIA, Can i update my profile to reflect that?

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
Thanks for sharing your story, @JERiv. Where in Canada is your BIL? That's great and impressive that he got the job. Because I knew my CRS would be low, I also tried first to get a job offer before applying for EE, but unfortunately I have done very badly in my job search, including losing a job I had been virtually assured of getting sans written offer letter, because the company decided to cancel that job.

From what I have heard from many people and also personally seen, it is far easier to find a job once you are a PR, and especially when you are PR living in Canada. I actually have made my resume and job profile on job boards appear at first glance that I am already in Canada, and I have had recruiters contact me who are interested until I tell them I will need visa sponsorship. Given that your wife has already gotten a job offer, although only a temporary one, it sounds like she should have no problems finding a job once you guys are in Canada. So after you guys get PR, don't feel that she needs to have a job offer before you guys can move.

It baffles me how some of the people in the groups Trump openly insults (women, Latinos, Muslims, and especially Puerto Ricans, given how he has handled things since the hurricane) can keep supporting him. I also feel personally offended and attacked by the racism, sexism, bigotry, and general anti-immigrant sentiments that not only come directly from Trump but have become more and more common in the US since the election. I am also a non-white, naturalized US citizen who grew up in the US.
His job is in northern BC.

To us it seems that in places like Vancouver (which we love) you need have an incredibly desirable skill set and be willing to take a large pay cut in order to get a job offer. And even then, it's still a coin toss whether you get a job unless you already have PR.

As for us, if it all works out we also want to move somewhere in BC. We loved the forests and mountains up there. We did a road trip through BC (and Banff) this summer and it is just indescribably beautiful up there.

And on the last stuff, this is my own personal opinion, but it's hard to justify just how strongly tribal a lot of folks are here in the US. They pretend they're not, but they are. You can see it in everything, from sports teams, to politics, to religion, to race, to folks still wearing college jerseys and putting college football flags outside their doors 60 years after graduation. Interestingly enough, they usually pick the tribe that gives them the most tangible benefits (monetary, social, or other). And that's usually not the tribe that's got smaller numbers (i.e. a minority) or the weaker/losing tribe (i.e. continued sexism everywhere). To these folks, it's all about belonging to and protecting your tribe.

Reactions: trumprefugee

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Hi,
2) After applying for Online Express Entry Profile without a job offer, say, I get a job offer with LMIA, Can i update my profile to reflect that?
1) DIY for me

2) Yes

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
Hi,
W.r.t lawyer question. A lawyer does not help your chances of PNP nominations if that is what you are trying to figure out. A good lawyer could help you avoid silly mistake. The flip side is a bad lawyer will make silly mistakes.

I went the DIY route for my application.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
We did the big parental reveals today. All were supportive (shocked though, of course) except for my mother-in-law, who's very upset at us going away. My husband hasn't actually talked to her - he had caught his father while he was driving, told him then and was going to tell his mother when his father got home, but his father figured it would be bad and went ahead and told her, and she's not up for talking about it yet. Hopefully she comes around - we'll be a 7-hour drive away instead of 2, which while longer should be plenty manageable. Had we moved within the US we'd be MUCH father away than that!

But yes, even my Trump voter father-in-law was enthusiastic! He had good things to say about Toronto and even offered to help us move - and NOT in a "don't let the door hit you . . . " way :p There is hope, y'all!

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
But yes, even my Trump voter father-in-law was enthusiastic! He had good things to say about Toronto and even offered to help us move - and NOT in a "don't let the door hit you . . . " way :p There is hope, y'all!
My grandmother (who is old and likely has alzheimer's and who thinks Trump is the greatest thing since sugar-free chocolate) was the same way! By the time I moved to Vancouver, I think she was more excited for me than I was.

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
We did the big parental reveals today. All were supportive (shocked though, of course) except for my mother-in-law, who's very upset at us going away. My husband hasn't actually talked to her - he had caught his father while he was driving, told him then and was going to tell his mother when his father got home, but his father figured it would be bad and went ahead and told her, and she's not up for talking about it yet. Hopefully she comes around - we'll be a 7-hour drive away instead of 2, which while longer should be plenty manageable. Had we moved within the US we'd be MUCH father away than that!

That's awesome news! Congratulations! :)

For us I can already foresee a scenario in which my dad goes into one of his hypocritical, self-righteous rants about what he thinks we should do. And knowing him, he'll start counting the days until he can tell us "I told you so". He already caused one rift in the family (I haven't seen one of my sister-in-laws in about 7 years) and almost caused another with us this past November. So we'll need lots of luck on this one! :)

browzah

Oct 30, 2017
applying from Seattle, I submitted my EE Profile yesterday, however my CRS score is just 365. I'm looking into PNP as an option in hope to additional points, however they require a job offer for you to be considered. Anybody here have a similar case? or does anyone here can give advice? Thanks!

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
applying from Seattle, I submitted my EE Profile yesterday, however my CRS score is just 365. I'm looking into PNP as an option in hope to additional points, however they require a job offer for you to be considered. Anybody here have a similar case? or does anyone here can give advice? Thanks!
Due to your NOC (IT related) when Ontario opens up they might send you a notification that they are interested in your EE account. For the rest basically you need to visit each Provinces PNP website regularly (say everyday) to see if something opens up. NB has info sessions from time to time, see if you can get a invite to those.

Reactions: browzah

browzah

Oct 30, 2017
Due to your NOC (IT related) when Ontario opens up they might send you a notification that they are interested in your EE account. For the rest basically you need to visit each Provinces PNP website regularly (say everyday) to see if something opens up. NB has info sessions from time to time, see if you can get a invite to those.
what do you mean by NB?