AOR Received.
28/12//2017
Med's Done....
05/03/2018
Passport Req..
05-09-2018
LANDED..........
14-10-2018
We got numbers through Flynumber so we could have local numbers on our resumes and to simplify calling for anyone who might not have international coverage. The numbers forward to any number, so we set them to our US numbers and then switched them to our permanent Canadian numbers as soon as we got them upon moving here in case anyone with the Flynumbers tried to reach us. We'll probably keep them 6 months more or so. It was pretty simple and cheap to set them up and very worth it for us.
Thanks, I think I will try Flynumber.

Reactions: sonali.kaushal

lakers17

Jul 20, 2017
Lol, you are writing on water. Your wife's H1b needs to be selected through lottery first. Next it should get approved. RFEs and denials are crazy these days.

Assuming your wife's H1b gets picked in lottery, you have couple of options here:

1) Hope for your passports to be returned before April 1, and you could take your trip by then.

2) Have your attorney filed the case as consular processing. If her H1 sponsor is legit employer, they would have no problems doing this. There is no restriction to travel when H1b is pending if this route is taken. Once the H1 is approved, she needs to get stamping from home country and come back. If the sponsor is desi consultant, they won't agree to this option and if that is going to be the case the petition approval chances are close to 0.

3) Have the petition filed as change of status and wait for the result. If the petition doesn't make through the lottery, you are all good and can travel before August. Results are known by May. If it gets picked, you can still go out and come back. There are no risks to the actual petition doing this except that she needs to go through consular mode to get her H1 activated. Only change of status would be considered as abandoned, not the actual H1 application itself. There is zero risk in doing this too. As I mentioned earlier, if the employer is legit there should be no problems in having someone go for stamping first time.

With no green card in sight, honestly H1b has no future. USCIS is getting very strict about employer-client model and getting a contract has become a huge huge challenge. I am not sure what could be done even with a successful H1 outcome with so much uncertainties involved in getting a project.
Thanks a lot for the response. The information you provided is helpful and I will take that into consideration while making a decision. Just a personal suggestion, please do not generalize or make unnecessary assumptions on others profile.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
get a driver's history from your current state - not printed or purchased from internet. bring license and passport. fill out a form, take a 1 line eye test plus peripheral vision test. pay them. all done.

I went to Downsview, so I had an appointment time. I'd say it was definitely under 15 minutes.
@tjsecondtry @moose17 @clguy anyone else who has gotten driver's license in Canada

Hey guys. I am catching up on old posts here for moving, landing and settlement tips, now that I finally got PPR and can start planning my move. I am now reading your discussions on getting driver's license and see that I will need to get a driver's history from my current state. I currently live in New York, where I have been living for the past 9 years, and I am planning to move to Toronto in May, probably middle to end of the month.
Can I order a driving record abstract:
https://dmv.ny.gov/dmv-records/get-my-own-driving-record-abstract
or do I need to order a lifetime driving record?
https://dmv.ny.gov/get-my-own-lifetime-driving-record
"Standard driver records contain information related to your record for the past few years. If you need a record of all information DMV has, see lifetime driving records. "

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Has anyone worked with a cross-border accountant (or whoever does taxes) in Toronto? I'm thinking of consulting with one soon since we won't be closing on our house until after we move and I'd like to make sure we have things in order while we're still here. @trumprefugee maybe?
@moose17 Sorry, I don't know and just saw this! But did you ever get an answer regarding whether we'd have to pay capital gains tax on our Canadian tax returns if we sell our primary residence in the US after moving to Canada? And have you closed on your house yet? (sorry if you answered this in a later post, but I am just having the chance to start catching up on posts here!) I am also planning to sell my condo that has been my primary home for almost 8 years now. For my personal situation, I feel it would be best to close either right before I leave or some time after, but if I am going to owe Canadian taxes if I close after moving, then I might have to rush to sell soon!

However, it seems that under Canadian tax rules, gain from selling your principal residence is not taxed, so I think we have no need to rush to sell our primary homes. It appears we can even rent it out for up to 4 more years and still qualify:
http://www.taxplanningguide.ca/tax-planning-guide/section-2-individuals/principal-residence-rules/

Principal residence rules
Your “principal residence” is generally any residential property owned and occupied by you or your spouse or common-law partner, your former spouse or common- law partner or your child at any time in the year. It can be a house, condominium, cottage, mobile home, trailer or even a live-aboard boat, and it need not be located in Canada. Any gain on the sale of a principal residence is tax-free. However, if you sell your residence, you should be aware that some tax rules apply.

Designating a principal residence
A home can be designated as your principal residence for each year in which you, your spouse or common-law partner and/or your children were residents in Canada and ordinarily lived in it for some time during the particular year. You’re only allowed to designate one home as your principal residence for a particular year.

Homes for rent
If you move out and rent your home, you can continue to treat the house as your principal residence for four additional years, or possibly more if you move as a consequence of a change of your place of employment with your employer. There are also rules that apply if you own property to earn rental income and subsequently convert the property to personal use. Basically, at the time of the change in use, you’re deemed to have disposed of the property at its FMV. If this value exceeds your original cost, you will have to report a capital gain. However, you can make a special election to defer recognizing this gain until you ultimately sell the home. This election is not available if you have claimed depreciation on the property for any year after 1984.

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
@tjsecondtry @moose17 @clguy anyone else who has gotten driver's license in Canada

Hey guys. I am catching up on old posts here for moving, landing and settlement tips, now that I finally got PPR and can start planning my move. I am now reading your discussions on getting driver's license and see that I will need to get a driver's history from my current state. I currently live in New York, where I have been living for the past 9 years, and I am planning to move to Toronto in May, probably middle to end of the month.
"Standard driver records contain information related to your record for the past few years. If you need a record of all information DMV has, see lifetime driving records. "
I ordered a life time abstract. It was $10. Make sure they have it certified by the commissioner and the paper its printed on has a water mark.

Reactions: trumprefugee

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
@moose17 Sorry, I don't know and just saw this! But did you ever get an answer regarding whether we'd have to pay capital gains tax on our Canadian tax returns if we sell our primary residence in the US after moving to Canada? And have you closed on your house yet? (sorry if you answered this in a later post, but I am just having the chance to start catching up on posts here!) I am also planning to sell my condo that has been my primary home for almost 8 years now. For my personal situation, I feel it would be best to close either right before I leave or some time after, but if I am going to owe Canadian taxes if I close after moving, then I might have to rush to sell soon!

However, it seems that under Canadian tax rules, gain from selling your principal residence is not taxed, so I think we have no need to rush to sell our primary homes. It appears we can even rent it out for up to 4 more years and still qualify:
http://www.taxplanningguide.ca/tax-planning-guide/section-2-individuals/principal-residence-rules/

Principal residence rules
Your “principal residence” is generally any residential property owned and occupied by you or your spouse or common-law partner, your former spouse or common- law partner or your child at any time in the year. It can be a house, condominium, cottage, mobile home, trailer or even a live-aboard boat, and it need not be located in Canada. Any gain on the sale of a principal residence is tax-free. However, if you sell your residence, you should be aware that some tax rules apply.

Designating a principal residence
A home can be designated as your principal residence for each year in which you, your spouse or common-law partner and/or your children were residents in Canada and ordinarily lived in it for some time during the particular year. You’re only allowed to designate one home as your principal residence for a particular year.

Homes for rent
If you move out and rent your home, you can continue to treat the house as your principal residence for four additional years, or possibly more if you move as a consequence of a change of your place of employment with your employer. There are also rules that apply if you own property to earn rental income and subsequently convert the property to personal use. Basically, at the time of the change in use, you’re deemed to have disposed of the property at its FMV. If this value exceeds your original cost, you will have to report a capital gain. However, you can make a special election to defer recognizing this gain until you ultimately sell the home. This election is not available if you have claimed depreciation on the property for any year after 1984.
You wont pay capital gains tax from a house sold in the US. Just keep you US business separate from you Canadian business. How will Canada know you have a house in the United States. I wouldn't even mention it.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
We're closing at the end of the month! We did get an appraisal before leaving since the closing was post-move, and it came out plenty above the sale price (I think those things are jokes lol) so even if we have to report the sale, it shouldn't cost us any in taxes next year. Renting just wasn't at all on our radar - a pain and little financial gain to be had in our case. Plus, that gain would be wiped out as soon as anything went wrong in the house. Being that it was build in 1961, that was pretty inevitable, so selling ASAP was best for lots of reasons.

For the driving thing, it sounds like lifetime is best for your state. Indiana just had that I think. My history there only started in 2009 and my previous state made it a pain to get their history so as far as Ontario is concerned, that's as long as I've been driving. Also of note is DriveTest Ontario took our histories, so if you want extras get them now.

Last edited:

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017

they credit you with the number of years on your record. this might affect insurance rates. while i was there, i was told that i could only be credited with 15 years from the PA record unless i got my california record. i asked if i need more than that and she said no, but you might want it. at that point, wanting to get it over with, i didn't ask further.

NewEraHorizon

Mar 19, 2018
I received PPR request Jan 4th AOR FSW-O.

I am indian passport holder residing US. Indian passport last page mentions I should not send passport outside country of residence. Should I request changing Visa Office to LA or New York?

Please advice.

Last edited:

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
Our car is registered! There was no issue with taxes so YAY! Now we have to sort out what documents stay in the car and we have to attach the licence plates. Our old state didn't require a front one so we have to drill holes for that, and we have a drill but it has a cord and we don't have great plug options in/around the building. We may have to pull the car up to a stairwell, which seem to have plugs, in the parking garage and ask for forgiveness rather than permission if anyone drives up or if the concierge notices on the security cameras.

Reactions: northern sunshine

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
I received PPR request Jan 4th AOR FSW-O.

I am indian passport holder residing US. Indian passport last page mentions I should not send passport outside country of residence. Should I request changing Visa Office to LA or New York?

Please advice.
Yes, many Indians living in the US ask to be allowed to send their passports to New York or LA visa offices for this reason. And this speeds things up, as mailing between the US and Canada is slow or expensive.

And congrats on the PPR! I recently got PPR as well, but as a US citizen, I have no excuse to use to request to send my docs to one of the US visa offices, so I had to mail my docs to Ottawa. It will take 1-2 weeks for my docs to reach Ottawa.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Yes, many Indians living in the US ask to be allowed to send their passports to New York or LA visa offices for this reason. And this speeds things up, as mailing between the US and Canada is slow or expensive.

And congrats on the PPR! I recently got PPR as well, but as a US citizen, I have no excuse to use to request to send my docs to one of the US visa offices, so I had to mail my docs to Ottawa. It will take 1-2 weeks for my docs to reach Ottawa.
why would you get Canada PR being a US Citizen :)

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
they credit you with the number of years on your record. this might affect insurance rates. while i was there, i was told that i could only be credited with 15 years from the PA record unless i got my california record. i asked if i need more than that and she said no, but you might want it. at that point, wanting to get it over with, i didn't ask further.
Up to 15 years huh ... I have been living in New York state for the past 16+ years, so my NY record should give me that. Hopefully that all will be enough. Before that, I had moved states every few years.

Thanks for your speedy replies, @tjsecondtry @moose17 @clguy
Hope to see you all in Toronto in a few months :)

Reactions: moose17