+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hah! Maybe I will follow up with an airline and see what they would require of me. I've never tried getting a hold of the CIC for questions like this but maybe I should.

It's also interesting that as an eTA is valid for 5 years, that would mean that someone from a visa-exempt country could obtain one before becoming a PR, and since it is attached to your passport I don't see how it would become invalid. I suppose the officer could give you a hard time though.
I think using a eTA when a PR would be (potentially) illegal. So careful with something like that.
Canadian citizens and PR are not eligible for eTA.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1050&top=16

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp?utm_source=slash-eta&utm_medium=short-url&utm_campaign=eta

On this page it states that "New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to, or transit through a Canadian airport, need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa."

So as a US Citizen I believe I am excepted from this requirement. Meaning I could travel back an forth using my US passport and just disclose my situation to the officer each time upon entry no?
The law is that if you have status in Canada (regardless of your nationality), you must present that status to the airline so that they can assess your entry eligibility.

There is some grey area because US citizens are exempt from preapproval by air. Yes, you can present your US passport and fly without issue since the airline's job is to ensure that you have the required entry documents or a US passport. Once you reach the border, CBSA will still want to see your PR card, COPR, or PRTD as these are the only documents that prove your status.

Technically, you should present your PR card or a PRTD when flying as these are the only documents airlines accept for proof of your status.

salikgilani

Apr 27, 2017
You don't need the PR card for land journeys. Technically you do not need it for air journeys too if you are from a visa exempt country (like the US), however since visa exempt countries now need preapproval to fly and PRs cannot get pre approvals (since they don't need it), it leads to a situation where you will not be let on a plane if you do not have the PR card.

So land journeys should be fine for air travel, you would need to apply for a PRTD.

Could you explain what this means? I am on OPT in the US, and if I get my PPR Can i not enter Canada? Do I still have to wait for my PR card? Also, I plan on entering via land as I can simply drive in. Why is that not possible? Or that seems so from your response.

oldenuf

Mar 29, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
12-10-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
21-12-2016
Med's Done....
07-03-2017
Passport Req..
23/06/2017
VISA ISSUED...
20/07/2017
we have couple of WhatsApp groups for US applicants , if you wanna join please message -

+ 1 954 258 0775

Reactions: Faky201

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
Could you explain what this means? I am on OPT in the US, and if I get my PPR Can i not enter Canada? Do I still have to wait for my PR card? Also, I plan on entering via land as I can simply drive in. Why is that not possible? Or that seems so from your response.
Is you query regarding first time landing or rentry. The discussion we are having is for reentry after you have done your first entry. You get your PR card 4 to 8 weeks or longer after your first landing.

You can simply drive in for first landing or rentry. Though for first landing you should confirm if there are timings (like at Buffalo) crossings and whether you can do it any land crossing or is a immigration office needed at the land border.

Look at this site for more info http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/services/imm-eng.html

Reactions: salikgilani

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What if you have a canadian tourist visa?? You should be able to board the flight right?
If you are a PR, you must prove that before boarding a flight or commercial vehicle entering Canada.

Below is from IRCC:

Canadian permanent residents need to show their permanent resident card when travelling to Canada in order to prove their permanent resident status. Permanent residents who do not have a PR card, or who are not carrying their PR card when travelling outside the country, will need to obtain a permanent resident travel document before returning to Canada by air mode in order to comply with eTA requirements.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

BrittanyElaina

Jul 18, 2017
California, USA
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
Med's Done....
18-07-2017
Canadian citizens and PR are not eligible for eTA.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1050&top=16

The law is that if you have status in Canada (regardless of your nationality), you must present that status to the airline so that they can assess your entry eligibility.

There is some grey area because US citizens are exempt from preapproval by air. Yes, you can present your US passport and fly without issue since the airline's job is to ensure that you have the required entry documents or a US passport. Once you reach the border, CBSA will still want to see your PR card, COPR, or PRTD as these are the only documents that prove your status.

Technically, you should present your PR card or a PRTD when flying as these are the only documents airlines accept for proof of your status.
So ultimately though it would be fine to fly in using the US passport and then also presenting the COPR to the CBSA upon arrival? Would that not be sufficient proof of status until a PR card is received? I feel like I might not be wrapping my head around the landing process fully.

vreddy

Jul 4, 2017
I am Vaibhav located in Virginia.

Started process 2 months back got ITA 12th July.
In process of getting FBI PCC and INDIAN PCC both sent on 17th July
Viabhav, to get PCC from FBI which is almost 2-3months, there are an agent called canadianfingerprint in Canada they will provide the FBI PCC in just 3-4 days, but they charge 200$cad. just contact them .

My wife is from US and she got FBI clearence

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
So ultimately though it would be fine to fly in using the US passport and then also presenting the COPR to the CBSA upon arrival? Would that not be sufficient proof of status until a PR card is received? I feel like I might not be wrapping my head around the landing process fully.
Again. Important to differentiate between rentry and first time landing. For first time what you described is exactly what you should do. I think you might still need to apply for a eTA which is OK to do because you are not a PR till you land for the first time.

For reentry, you would be in murky legal waters if you use eTA.

@21Goose could you chip in ? Are you a US citizen. Did you need a eTA assuming you flew.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Hey, my fellow Americans and US residents. I am also in NYC. Here's my timeline so far:

Early hours of November 9, 2016 - Decided to emigrate from the US and started researching possibilities. Later in the day, read news article about how an immigration to Canada site had crashed due to a flood of Americans trying to find out how to immigrate to Canada.

November 11, 2016 - Filled out free assessment form at canadavisa.com

November 12, 2016 - Received email from David Cohen that was my first introduction to Express Entry. However, Canada was not my first choice at that time, so I did not research Canada any further.

Late March 2017 - Decided to immigrate to Canada and started a job search. After getting CRS estimate of only 410, planned to get a job offer, hopefully by the summer, and move to Canada and then create EE profile.

Late May 2017 - Started getting depressed that I had only had initial phone interviews with 2 companies, and it had been at least a month since either had gotten back to me. Decided I needed to create EE profile now. Read instructions for creating EE profile and realized that I would need to take IELTS exam first.

June 6, 2017 - The next available IELTS exam date in New York is July 8? But I had seen a June 24 date a few days ago, and the site had said I had until June 19 to register! I hadn't thought so many people would be taking IELTS. Registered in fear that soon the July 8 date would no longer be available.

June 8, 2017 - Checked IELTS registration site and found that the June 24 date opened up! Jumped to grab it and cancelled my July 8 registration. Fortunately my credit card had not been charged for July 8 so no financial penalty.

June 24, 2017 - took IELTS exam.

June 26, 2017 - found out that I would need an ECA in addition to IELTS score even to create EE profile. Rushed to figure out which organization to use and submitted order to WES. Ordered transcript to be sent to WES.

July 5, 2017 - Very depressed after being rejected for a job I had really wanted with Company 3. Still waiting on Company 2, gave up hope on Company 1.

July 7, 2017 - Received IELTS results online.

July 10, 2017 - Received ECA from WES online in the morning. Immediately created EE profile. Received paper copy of IELTS results when I got home at night.

July 11, 2017 - Received NOI from Ontario. Started reading instructions and gathering documents. Oh no, Ontario wants me to have a passport that will be valid for another 2 years? Mine expires in 9 months, and I was hoping to hold off on renewing until after I moved to Canada.

July 13, 2017 - Sent passport in for expedited renewal (supposedly 2-3 weeks instead of the usual 6-8 weeks). Still collecting other documents.

July 15, 2017 - Received paper copy of ECA from WES in the mail.

Last edited:
Reactions: andyding13

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
I feel like regardless of red/blue state, most people in this country can't understand anyone leaving, for ANY reason. We've been the destination country for so many immigrants, that in the collective consciousness there's some kind of mental barrier preventing people from understanding that people want to leave.
I think many Americans, including myself until the election, think of the US as our only world and would never even think of emigrating. For the past few years, I had actually been thinking about making some life changes (career and lifestyle-wise) and wasn't sure how to make it all happen. But after I decided I needed to leave the US and researched different countries, I came to the conclusion that Canada would best place with the best resources for me to begin my new life.

Adrouault

Apr 26, 2017
Yep. It's a tumultuous time in the US.

My Timeline thus far:

April 16th, 2017, Decided to take the plunge and pursue status in Canada.

April 22, took the CELPIP in Toronto

May 9 my mother passed, so that put things on hold for a while.

May 30, sent packet to FBI for background check, direct and not through an agency.

July 3, paid for WES ECA and requested transcripts from my university.

And now, here I am waiting to put the pieces together and get to Canada!

ECA expected in the next 2-3 weeks, and FBI report expected by August 10. But luckily I only need the ECA to get my profile online. Hoping for Ontario PNP.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Yep. It's a tumultuous time in the US.
ECA expected in the next 2-3 weeks, and FBI report expected by August 10. But luckily I only need the ECA to get my profile online. Hoping for Ontario PNP.
@Adrouault does the FBI give you status updates? Did you follow the process here?
https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks
And did you get your fingerprinting done at NYPD headquarters?
http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/service/1694/fingerprinting-request
I just want to do it the most affordable and painless way here in NYC.

I'm debating when I should apply for the police report. I don't want it to delay my application needlessly after I get ITA, but I also don't want to get it too soon given my low CRS score, since the police report is valid for only 6 months. I'm thinking I should apply when I get OINP or a job offer, whichever comes first, i.e., when it appears likely that I actually would get an ITA soon!

Adrouault

Apr 26, 2017
I was in LA for my mother's funeral, so I went to a place to get fingerprinted in Beverly Hills.

The FBI doesn't give updates. But there's a thread about the FBI backlog, and what day they're processing today.

TrumpRefugee, what are some of your biggest fears/concerns about the move?

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
I was in LA for my mother's funeral, so I went to a place to get fingerprinted in Beverly Hills.

The FBI doesn't give updates. But there's a thread about the FBI backlog, and what day they're processing today.

TrumpRefugee, what are some of your biggest fears/concerns about the move?
My biggest fear by far is about finding a job. It's always stressful to be job hunting in limbo, with no idea of how long it will take. Next concern will be about finding a place to live. I hope to move to Toronto and find a cheap roommate situation first, until I get permanent residence, then research the real estate market and buy a place if I find a suitable place. So, really just the normal fears/concerns I have when moving to a new location in general. Of course, there will always be the fear that something will go wrong the permanent residence application, and if I am eventually lucky enough, the citizenship application.

How about you?