+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US B1/B2 Rejection Due to PR

mystique9999

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
Hi guys. I was hoping if someone could help me out with a dilemma that I am facing.

I live and work in the United Arab Emirates and my wife and I are both PR holders (we landed in Canada in 2016 and have since then returned to the U.A.E.). My mother also has an approved TRV for Canada.

Last year, we applied for a B1/B2 visa for the United States of America and during the interview, I was asked by the interviewer whether I had made any plans. I told her that we (I, my wife and my mother) were going to Canada and we planned to drive over to the US. She then asked me how did I plan to do that. I told her that I had a permanent resident visa for Canada. She grimaced and promptly returned our passports and told us that our visa application was denied and said that we were welcome to reapply again in the future.

Now I really wish to visit the United States as a tourist along with my family but I am afraid that they may reject my application once again due to the PR visas in my and my wife's passport. Can someone let me know if they've faced a similar experience or whether they were able to get a US B1/B2 visa despite having a PR card and living outside Canada? Can someone give me some tips on how to improve my chances for getting a US B1/B2 visa? Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe the issue is that although you gained PR status in 2016 that you were refused because you have not established residence in Canada yet so having a PR card but still living in UAE was the issue. Once you have actually moved to Canada and established residence and ties to Canada they will approve, no way to really know as unfortunately the US never seem to see the need to give any reasons why no approval.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Maybe the issue is that although you gained PR status in 2016 that you were refused because you have not established residence in Canada yet so having a PR card but still living in UAE was the issue. Once you have actually moved to Canada and established residence and ties to Canada they will approve, no way to really know as unfortunately the US never seem to see the need to give any reasons why no approval.
Yeah I agree with this. I guess the US VO's reasoning is, you have a PR card, then why haven't you settled in Canada? Maybe you'll try to settle somewhere else....

mystique9999

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
So that means that now just because I have a PR card for Canada, I can no longer hope to get a B1/B2 visa application accepted if I apply in the UAE?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
So that means that now just because I have a PR card for Canada, I can no longer hope to get a B1/B2 visa application accepted if I apply in the UAE?
I don't know. I've also seen people get their US visas granted even if they reapply quickly with the same circumstances.

Just know that the US automatically assumes everyone who applies has the intent to immigrate unless they can prove otherwise.

anuj94

Aug 23, 2019
@scylla Hi Scylla,
A friend of mine got a job interview in the States.
He has a United States B1/B2 visa and is a PR. Can he visit the States for an interview?
I didn't get much info online.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
@scylla Hi Scylla,
A friend of mine got a job interview in the States.
He has a United States B1/B2 visa and is a PR. Can he visit the States for an interview?
I didn't get much info online.
If he has a valid US visa, then he can certainly travel. CBP can deny him entry for various reasons, but that's true for any foreign national coming to the US; it has nothing to do with his PR status here. Being a PR in Canada is not a reason to be denied entry to the USA.

anuj94

Aug 23, 2019
If he has a valid US visa, then he can certainly travel. CBP can deny him entry for various reasons, but that's true for any foreign national coming to the US; it has nothing to do with his PR status here. Being a PR in Canada is not a reason to be denied entry to the USA.
thank you very much for your reply !

Dec 19, 2022
Hi guys. I was hoping if someone could help me out with a dilemma that I am facing.

I live and work in the United Arab Emirates and my wife and I are both PR holders (we landed in Canada in 2016 and have since then returned to the U.A.E.). My mother also has an approved TRV for Canada.

Last year, we applied for a B1/B2 visa for the United States of America and during the interview, I was asked by the interviewer whether I had made any plans. I told her that we (I, my wife and my mother) were going to Canada and we planned to drive over to the US. She then asked me how did I plan to do that. I told her that I had a permanent resident visa for Canada. She grimaced and promptly returned our passports and told us that our visa application was denied and said that we were welcome to reapply again in the future.

Now I really wish to visit the United States as a tourist along with my family but I am afraid that they may reject my application once again due to the PR visas in my and my wife's passport. Can someone let me know if they've faced a similar experience or whether they were able to get a US B1/B2 visa despite having a PR card and living outside Canada? Can someone give me some tips on how to improve my chances for getting a US B1/B2 visa? Thanks in advance.

Hi Sir

I m also almost in the same situation to apply for US B2 Visa while having expired PR card residing in India.. I just trying to check will my case also be unsuccessful due to holding Canada PR Card... Could someone please help me what can be done .

Last edited: