+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US and Canadian PR, living in Canada. Should I drive or fly to the US?

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by fmartins2003, Nov 1, 2019.

  1. Hi! I hold a PR card in Canada and a GC in the US, which we don't want to lose, so we are doing all we can to keep sufficient ties to that country (bank account, address, taxes, frequent trips back, etc). I do have one question/issue: Should I avoid driving my Canadian car into the US over a land border? Would US immigration question me at the border? Something like "why are you driving a Canadian car?"

    (I am NOT one of those GC holders on daily commuter status)
  2. I would recommend that you join a US immigration forum to discuss the topic of GC retention. Sufficient ties and frequent trips will not allow you to retain your GC status. If you're not primarily living in the US - you should expect to have your GC status revoked at some point on entry (unless you've applied for a returning resident visa) - this can happen at either a land border or airport. The U.S. is a great deal more strict about residency requirements than Canada.
  3. Thank you. I understand that and I am following that forum. I believe I know the risks and implications and we are doing our best. I have a real, concrete issue. Can I drive a car into the US or is it too risky?
  4. Yes, they can question you about it. Nobody can predict though.

Share This Page