+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgently need help from those CSQ holders already in Quebec

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Hello,

I need infromation about our staying and working in Quebec after getting CSQ.

Currently I work on a closed work permit on a contract job and my wife works on an open work permit but she has a permanent low wages job in NOC TEER 5. She already got her VJO approved and we are expecting to receive the invitations to apply for CSQ at our Arrima portal soon. For CSQ, my wife will be now principle applicant and I will become spouse.

Because our existing work permits are expiring in October 2023. What are the options that we can use to extend our stay in Quebec, so that my wife can continue working for her employer and I can stay here to find a new job.

CTB

Star Member
Apr 26, 2023
Hello,

I need infromation about our staying and working in Quebec after getting CSQ.

Currently I work on a closed work permit on a contract job and my wife works on an open work permit but she has a permanent low wages job in NOC TEER 5. She already got her VJO approved and we are expecting to receive the invitations to apply for CSQ at our Arrima portal soon. For CSQ, my wife will be now principle applicant and I will become spouse.

Because our existing work permits are expiring in October 2023. What are the options that we can use to extend our stay in Quebec, so that my wife can continue working for her employer and I can stay here to find a new job.

October is a few months away, (were not even in summer yet) so you have time.. if your partner has a VJO has she enquired into getting a work permit from them and that way she can put you on an open permit allowing you to find other work?

if its a VJO I cannot think of a reason why they wouldn't do that..

Reactions: powereng1982

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
October is a few months away, (were not even in summer yet) so you have time.. if your partner has a VJO has she enquired into getting a work permit from them and that way she can put you on an open permit allowing you to find other work?

if its a VJO I cannot think of a reason why they wouldn't do that..
Thanks. We have already received the inviation and applied for CSQ. During the last few weeks, I searched and have found options for our case

1. [R205a) – A73] – International mobility program for Quebec selection certificate (CSQ) holder who reside in Quebec
https://www.canada.ca/fr/immigration-refugies-citoyennete/organisation/publications-guides/bulletins-guides-operationnels/residents-temporaires/travailleurs-etrangers/cas-quebec/renouvellement-prolongation-certains-titulaires-selection-quebec-dispenses-etude-impact.html

2. [R205(a) - A75] – International Mobility Program Bridging open work permits for certain economic class permanent residence applicants
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

Spouses of CSQ holder or Bridge open work permit holders can apply for open work permit using [R205(c)(ii) – C49] – Canadian interest – IMP
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/public-policy-competitiveness-economy/c49.html

betterbetter

Star Member
Feb 6, 2023
Thanks. We have already received the inviation and applied for CSQ. During the last few weeks, I searched and have found options for our case

1. [R205a) – A73] – International mobility program for Quebec selection certificate (CSQ) holder who reside in Quebec
https://www.canada.ca/fr/immigration-refugies-citoyennete/organisation/publications-guides/bulletins-guides-operationnels/residents-temporaires/travailleurs-etrangers/cas-quebec/renouvellement-prolongation-certains-titulaires-selection-quebec-dispenses-etude-impact.html

2. [R205(a) - A75] – International Mobility Program Bridging open work permits for certain economic class permanent residence applicants
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

Spouses of CSQ holder or Bridge open work permit holders can apply for open work permit using [R205(c)(ii) – C49] – Canadian interest – IMP
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/public-policy-competitiveness-economy/c49.html

I think after your CSQ application is approved, you only need to renew your and your wife's work permits. Specifically, before your PR application is approved, both you and your wife can reapply for open work permits, which are the bridge work permits you mentioned above.

However, I'm a bit confused 2 scenarios:
1. Because your CSQ was applied through your wife's VJO, so shouldn't your wife have a closed work permit? To be honest, I don't quite understand this point either.

2. Also, there's another issue that you might encounter. Your and your wife's CSQs were obtained with your wife's VJO application. However, if your wife finds a better job and wants to change employers in a year or even a few months later, would this situation affect the CSQ you have already obtained or the PR application you are currently applying for? In other words, if the main applicant obtains a CSQ through VJO, obtains an open work permit, and is in the process of applying for PR, can they change jobs?

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
I tCSQ is approved, we have applied PR and recieved AOR before the expiry of existing work permit.hink after your CSQ application is approved, you only need to renew your and your wife's work permits. Specifically, before your PR application is approved, both you and your wife can reapply for open work permits, which are the bridge work permits you mentioned above.

However, I'm a bit confused 2 scenarios:
1. Because your CSQ was applied through your wife's VJO, so shouldn't your wife have a closed work permit? To be honest, I don't quite understand this point either.

2. Also, there's another issue that you might encounter. Your and your wife's CSQs were obtained with your wife's VJO application. However, if your wife finds a better job and wants to change employers in a year or even a few months later, would this situation affect the CSQ you have already obtained or the PR application you are currently applying for? In other words, if the main applicant obtains a CSQ through VJO, obtains an open work permit, and is in the process of applying for PR, can they change jobs?
To renew my wife work permit (main CSQ applicant), there are two scenarios:
1. CSQ is approved, we have applied PR and received AOR before the expiry of existing work permit.

In this case, she is eligible to apply for bridge open work permit [Option#1 above].
Those who are main applicant in PR application regardless of program (CEC, Quebec or any other PNP) regardless they currently hold open or closed work permit are eligible to apply for BOWP with [R205(a) - A75] program .

2. CSQ is approved, but existing work permit is expiring soon before we apply for PR
In this case, she is eligible to apply for closed work permit using [R205(a) - A75] [Option#2 above].
[R205(a) - A75] is a dedicated program for CSQ holders who are currently working in Quebec to extend their work permits. Through this program main CSQ holder will get an employer-specific closed work permit.

Spouses of CSQ holders or BOWP holders are eligible to apply for open work permits using [R205(c)(ii) – C49].

[R205(c)(ii) – C49] – Canadian interest – IMP is a dedictaed program for family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province

For VJO holders, it is best to stay and keep working with same employer before PR application is processed and completed successfully

Last edited:

betterbetter

Star Member
Feb 6, 2023
To renew my wife work permit (main CSQ applicant), there are two scenarios:
1. CSQ is approved, we have applied PR and received AOR before the expiry of existing work permit.

In this case, she is eligible to apply for bridge open work permit [Option#1 above].
Those who are main applicant in PR application regardless of program (CEC, Quebec or any other PNP) regardless they currently hold open or closed work permit are eligible to apply for BOWP with [R205(a) - A75] program .

2. CSQ is approved, but existing work permit is expiring soon before we apply for PR
In this case, she is eligible to apply for closed work permit using [R205(a) - A75] [Option#2 above].
[R205(a) - A75] is a dedicated program for CSQ holders who are currently working in Quebec to extend their work permits. Through this program main CSQ holder will get an employer-specific closed work permit.

Spouses of CSQ holders or BOWP holders are eligible to apply for open work permits using [R205(c)(ii) – C49].

[R205(c)(ii) – C49] – Canadian interest – IMP is a dedictaed program for family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province

For VJO holders, it is best to stay and keep working with same employer before PR application is processed and completed successfully

----But you know the PR application is a long process as well. In this long period , if you or your employer not happy at some time, or the company's business is not in very good shape , you have to pursue new career opportunities,these are very common situations although you or your employment try to maintain a long-term cooperation .
The question is if there any specific laws or policy that require such a requirement?

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada

----But you know the PR application is a long process as well. In this long period , if you or your employer not happy at some time, or the company's business is not in very good shape , you have to pursue new career opportunities,these are very common situations although you or your employment try to maintain a long-term cooperation .
The question is if there any specific laws or policy that require such a requirement?
Particularly I dont find any law related to this question. My comment was based on comments that I have reveiwed in this forum

betterbetter

Star Member
Feb 6, 2023
Particularly I dont find any law related to this question. My comment was based on comments that I have reveiwed in this forum
So, if there is no exact policy requirement, then it is still based on the actual situation, if necessary to change jobs...

In fact, I think these policies are just to prove your can survive and contribute to the economy and integrate the Canada society. In other words, you have the ability to find a new job, doesn't that prove your ability to survive?
I'm not sure if my understanding is correct.

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
So, if there is no exact policy requirement, then it is still based on the actual situation, if necessary to change jobs...

In fact, I think these policies are just to prove your can survive and contribute to the economy and integrate the Canada society. In other words, you have the ability to find a new job, doesn't that prove your ability to survive?
I'm not sure if my understanding is correct.
Yes I agree with this understanding about the policy.

I also agree that immigration countries including Canada/Quebec feel more comfortbale for applicants who have multiple job offers, showing that his/her skills are relevant to local market.

SD_1987

Mar 9, 2023
Hello Everyone,

June 14, 2023 - CSQ approved (Outland - Quebec Regular Skilled Worker Program)
June 26, 2023 - PR application online Submitted (IRCC)
June 27, 2023 - Received a message on Arrima: Obtaining an invitation to apply for an open work permit through the International Mobility Program (IMP+).

If I applied to the IMP+ and got an open work permit and went to Quebec, how would this process affect my PR application?
Has anyone been in this situation?

Thank you!

vision2011

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Hello Everyone,

June 14, 2023 - CSQ approved (Outland - Quebec Regular Skilled Worker Program)
June 26, 2023 - PR application online Submitted (IRCC)
June 27, 2023 - Received a message on Arrima: Obtaining an invitation to apply for an open work permit through the International Mobility Program (IMP+).

If I applied to the IMP+ and got an open work permit and went to Quebec, how would this process affect my PR application?
Has anyone been in this situation?

Thank you!
Hey,

I think you should first understand why IMP+ to begin with. IMP+ was introduced because IRCC was taking too long to process Quebec immigrants applications, so people can migrate to Quebec and integrate while waiting their PR being processed. Therefore, I am having a hard time to understand what would be your concern here? If you are ready to move go for it and PR will take its time while you are already in Quebec. Anyway, when was ur ITA and CSQ application? - timeline

Cheers!

V.

SD_1987

Mar 9, 2023
Hello,

I wouldn't call it a concern, tbh! I'm ready to move to Quebec as soon as I get the chance, whether through a PR or under the IMP+ for sure!

Concerning the IMP+ program, the idea behind this program is clear.

However, I was trying to understand how the two separate processes (IMP+ & PR Application) work together;
For instance, if I start the Open work permit application and get asked to provide the medical exam (out of other requirements), do I still need to expect to get the same request for the PR application later on?
Also, what is the information that I need to be aware of in case my PR application gets approved while I'm already in Quebec under the open work permit (IMP+)?

Thank you!

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Hello,

I wouldn't call it a concern, tbh! I'm ready to move to Quebec as soon as I get the chance, whether through a PR or under the IMP+ for sure!

Concerning the IMP+ program, the idea behind this program is clear.

However, I was trying to understand how the two separate processes (IMP+ & PR Application) work together;
For instance, if I start the Open work permit application and get asked to provide the medical exam (out of other requirements), do I still need to expect to get the same request for the PR application later on?
Also, what is the information that I need to be aware of in case my PR application gets approved while I'm already in Quebec under the open work permit (IMP+)?

Thank you!
There is no issue if you have two applications at the same time.

If you complete a medical for open work permit, it will be valid for 12 months, therefore, it will still be valid for your PR. Secondly if you arrive in Quebec with your open work permit and yet dont get PR appication processed. In Canada you would not be required to get a medical again due to an exemption policy for in-land applications until 6 October 2024

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html