+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: WP Refused Temporary Residence Expired

Teatime18

Dec 16, 2022
Hi there. My temporary residence expired as of last week and my open WP application got refused. Can my employer terminate me? The letter also suggests that prospective employer is responsible for obtaining LMIA. What does this mean? If my current employer wants to terminate me do they have a reason? Am I now illegal in Canada? I have 90 days to apply for restoration of status.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi there. My temporary residence expired as of last week and my open WP application got refused. Can my employer terminate me? The letter also suggests that prospective employer is responsible for obtaining LMIA. What does this mean? If my current employer wants to terminate me do they have a reason? Am I now illegal in Canada? I have 90 days to apply for restoration of status.
Yes you are out of status. Yes your employer can give a reason that this employee has lost a status

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are out of status then you aren’t legally able to work. Your boss isn’t firing you, you aren’t able to legally work so he can’t employ you and you can’t work. Yes you are currently without status in Canada. If you are able to get your status restored it will only be to a visitor. In order to get a WP an employer has to apply for the LMIA. If they are approved you can apply for a closed WP. To qualify for an OWP you must meet certain requirements. Did you come to Canada, start working and apply for an OWP or where you working or studying in Canada before this?