+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT: work permit/visa required for photo shoot?

somnang

Feb 10, 2011
Hello everyone, I've been researching Canadian Immigration sites and even tried calling a few embassies and such, but it seems no one can really give a straight answer. I'm a US citizen that's been given a 1 day photography contract from a Canadian base magazine to do a shoot next Tuesday. It's only for 1 day and will be shot in a studio in Montreal, Quebec. I will be traveling with a few other associates, all are either US or Swiss citizens.

My questions/concerns are: My understanding, we (US and Swiss citizens) don't require any temporary visas to enter Canada... correct? Also we don't need a work permit? I looked in the Canadian worker's manual and there's a Performing Artist section that do not require work permits, but it's a little vague. Can anyone please confirm?

Thank you and I appreciate your help.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
somnang said:
Hello everyone, I've been researching Canadian Immigration sites and even tried calling a few embassies and such, but it seems no one can really give a straight answer. I'm a US citizen that's been given a 1 day photography contract from a Canadian base magazine to do a shoot next Tuesday. It's only for 1 day and will be shot in a studio in Montreal, Quebec. I will be traveling with a few other associates, all are either US or Swiss citizens.

My questions/concerns are: My understanding, we (US and Swiss citizens) don't require any temporary visas to enter Canada... correct? Also we don't need a work permit? I looked in the Canadian worker's manual and there's a Performing Artist section that do not require work permits, but it's a little vague. Can anyone please confirm?

Thank you and I appreciate your help.
You may want to try contacting the CIC help line, of if you are driving, call the border control that you will be crossing at.
IMO "Performing artist" is very tenuous in the circumstance you describe. But the final decision is with the IO.

Film and recording studio users (limited to small groups renting studios not entering the labour market)
The question is are you entering the labour market?

somnang

Feb 10, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Is there a CIC help line that goes to a person? I've tried calling their number and I would get an automated voice advising me to look over the website. Apparently they don't have any people to answer questions via phone. The automated voice would also provide an email and I tried sending them an email with specific questions, but they would reply back with links to the CIC website. I've been running in circles trying to find answers. :(

Also I'll be flying in from NYC with a few other associates (both are either US or Swiss citizens).

To your question, I don't think I'm entering the labour market. All we're doing is renting out a studio and doing a fashion photography shoot for 1 day. We will be working with Canadian models, stylists, and lighting people. This is what I'm trying to confirm.

Thanks for your help

Immpro

Feb 12, 2011
You do require a work permit. To obtain this work permit you need an LMO.

You are not considered a "performing artist" for a photo shoot. As you are entering Canada to seek employment, and will eb paid by a Canadian company to appear in what I would assume to be a Canadian distrubuted magazine/flyer/ad whatever it is, you are entering the Canadian labor market.

I do not recommend going to perform this shoot.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immpro said:
You do require a work permit. To obtain this work permit you need an LMO.

You are not considered a "performing artist" for a photo shoot. As you are entering Canada to seek employment, and will eb paid by a Canadian company to appear in what I would assume to be a Canadian distrubuted magazine/flyer/ad whatever it is, you are entering the Canadian labor market.

I do not recommend going to perform this shoot.
NO! He could be admitted as a Business Visitor. No LMO or WP required.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rjessome said:
NO! He could be admitted as a Business Visitor. No LMO or WP required.
I have used "business visitor" loads of time, but I think it is to restrictive for what the OP wants.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baloo said:
I have used "business visitor" loads of time, but I think it is to restrictive for what the OP wants.
Perhaps. The OP or the company hiring for this one day contract should call the Temporary Foreign Worker Unit in their region for direction.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/tfw-units.asp

allat72

Jul 22, 2011
Somnag, I'm replying even though it's been a while because hopefully the system will let you know there's been a new post under this thread. I'm in the exact same position.... and no one seems to be able to give me a clear answer on models contracted to do single shows or gigs. If you get this can you let me know what happened? What the border workers told you?

I'm not sure why a model wouldn't be considered a preforming artist. We're certainly artists that are hired to preform or act out emotion, different scenarios, etc in front of a camera. If one ever has seen America's Next Top Model it's pretty clear Tyra sees those in the field as being a highly specialized preforming artists. Even when googling the terms you see many pages categorizing models as preforming artists.

Anyway, if anyone else has actual experience with getting over the border for such, please do let me know:)