+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent, Work permit denied, ask to leave.

Harsh29

May 31, 2015
Hello Everyone, I received the email from CIC that work permit extension is denied and ask me leave Canada soon.
My work permit expired on March 28 and i applied for extension 10 days before expiring. I did so because i wanted to gain two year work experience so i can get some extra point in my express entry profile. I knew my extension will be denied but i though after refusal i have 90 to restore my status. Decision was made on 7th July but i received email from CIC today (21 july) after contacting them about my application, so does that mean i worked legally till 20 July.

My question is do i have a option to apply for restoration of status?

If i have to leave then can i come back on visitor visa ?

Any suggestion on my situation will be helpful.

Thank you.

RockCan

Star Member
Jun 10, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2015
Nomination.....
15-04-16
AOR Received.
06-05-16
The good thing you did is apploed for WP extension, and yes, your exp will count till the date they Emailed you the refusel letter. And you have 90 days to restore your status, so I would suggst to apply after 60-70 days to get a visitor visa, and they wil approve your visa upto 1 year...!! So you can officially live in Canada...!! My roommate did the same thing and he got his PR too by working in Implied status...!! So there is NO NEED to leave the country...!!!

dell2

Feb 3, 2011
Calgary, Alberta.
Harsh29 said:
Hello Everyone, I received the email from CIC that work permit extension is denied and ask me leave Canada soon.
My work permit expired on March 28 and i applied for extension 10 days before expiring. I did so because i wanted to gain two year work experience so i can get some extra point in my express entry profile. I knew my extension will be denied but i though after refusal i have 90 to restore my status. Decision was made on 7th July but i received email from CIC today (21 july) after contacting them about my application, so does that mean i worked legally till 20 July.

My question is do i have a option to apply for restoration of status?

If i have to leave then can i come back on visitor visa ?

Any suggestion on my situation will be helpful.

Thank you.
On the refusal letter they calculate 90 days and write the date whether you can restore your status within the period

coolhyd

Jun 1, 2012
RockCan said:
The good thing you did is apploed for WP extension, and yes, your exp will count till the date they Emailed you the refusel letter. And you have 90 days to restore your status, so I would suggst to apply after 60-70 days to get a visitor visa, and they wil approve your visa upto 1 year...!! So you can officially live in Canada...!! My roommate did the same thing and he got his PR too by working in Implied status...!! So there is NO NEED to leave the country...!!!
Apply for Visa right away.

goutcha123

Jul 5, 2016
I had exactly the same letter not showing the 90 days period , they are wrong it's your right to apply for restoration as long as you applied for your work permit before the expiry date .(happened to me and I restored my status)
So now you can apply for visitor status or any other status like student if you have an enrollment but you need to pay extra fees for restoration . Also your period in the implied status will be count.

varinder1717

Apr 18, 2015
Can someone please tell me when applying for restoration with visitor visa do we send any letter of explanation or anything? Or just follow the checklist.. i am under implied status and want to apply for visitor visa before my 90 days are over.. is it safe to apply visitor without getting rejected?
goutcha123 said:
I had exactly the same letter not showing the 90 days period , they are wrong it's your right to apply for restoration as long as you applied for your work permit before the expiry date .(happened to me and I restored my status)
So now you can apply for visitor status or any other status like student if you have an enrollment but you need to pay extra fees for restoration . Also your period in the implied status will be count.

siriusnick

Star Member
Jun 14, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
varinder1717 said:
Can someone please tell me when applying for restoration with visitor visa do we send any letter of explanation or anything? Or just follow the checklist.. i am under implied status and want to apply for visitor visa before my 90 days are over.. is it safe to apply visitor without getting rejected?
You need to include a letter of explanation and make it like the normal visitor visa for tourism, try not to say you are applying PR in the meantime and promise you will leave the country at end of your visitor visa and abiding the law. The chance of success should be reasonable.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Harsh29 said:
It depends... CIC now distinguishes between "refused" and "rejected as incomplete."

Did you apply for a BOWP without the AOR? It sounds your application was "rejected as incomplete" - which means your status expired on March 28, and you are now beyond the 90 day restoration period. It also means that the work experience will not count...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

Reactions: shaizeik

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jes_ON said:
It depends... CIC now distinguishes between "refused" and "rejected as incomplete."

Did you apply for a BOWP without the AOR? It sounds your application was "rejected as incomplete" - which means your status expired on March 28, and you are now beyond the 90 day restoration period. It also means that the work experience will not count...

Agreed with jes_ON. Looks like OP applied without AOR - so the work experience doesn't actually count and it's too late to apply to restore status. Only option is to leave Canada.

expressentryqueen

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14th
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
January 14th
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
03-07-2016
@OP, as you have been rightly informed by other people who have walked in your shoes, you do have the opportunity to apply for restoration of status, 90 days after receiving the decision from CIC. You cannot work anymore from the date you got that decision. Have you applied for permanent residence already? If yes, when? And what kind of work permit did you have previously? Was it a PGWP, OWP or closed work permit?Can you also post the contents of the email you got from CIC? This would help us determine if your application was refused or rejected as incomplete. As earlier commenters have mentioned, there's a difference between the two these days.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
expressentryqueen said:
@OP, as you have been rightly informed by other people who have walked in your shoes, you do have the opportunity to apply for restoration of status, 90 days after receiving the decision from CIC.
Actually - he most likely does not qualify for restoration and has no choice but to leave Canada. If he submitted the BOWP without AOR then he has been out of status since his original work permit expired and it's too late to apply for restoration. See the link jes_ON provided above. CIC recently changed the rules because too many were submitted BOWPs and work permit extensions when they didn't qualify for them.

goutcha123

Jul 5, 2016
varinder1717 said:
[/quotell

If you are under implied status it means that you applied for something and you are waiting for an answer !
What did you apply for ?

If your status expired and you did not apply for anything you are not in an implied status .

So now if you are In scenario one : wait until you get the answer and then apply for visit or status paying the restoration status aND attach an explanation letter (don't talk about pr).

If you are in scenario 2: hope you in the 90 days period to restore and apply for visitor status with the explanation letter .

goutcha123

Jul 5, 2016
jes_ON said:

I'm quite sure you are wrong on that one the dude said he applied before the expiry date knowing that the answer is no ( it doesn't matter ) so applying before the work permit expiry date leads to an implied status even if the final answer is no , his work permit expired the date he got the answer and I'm 100% positive , so now he needs to apply for any other status and pay the restoration fees .
Ansd yes his work experience under the implied status will count in his EE profile as the definition of an implied status is keeping exactly the same status you have been on during the processing time to get the answer .I

goutcha123

Jul 5, 2016
thejkhan said:
You have no idea what you're talking about.

If he didn't get an LMIA so far (and he's been here for close to 2 years), he most likely belongs to an occupation for which it's hard to get one.

Staying longer with visitor status only costs you Canadian living expenses. Most of you do so because "everyone else is doing it" - no good reason really.

Agree with you on that one in the first paragraph , whoever
He got the choice to choose another field to get LMIA to work and after getting his PR he could something else . It's his choice.

Do you know his situation if he got enough money to stay here ? Not sure you have this info .

Every one does what ever they wanna do each case is different . In my case I was exactly in the same situation and did visitor status and then got LMIA so what do you have to say about that , go home and use some brain ? No I did well for myself .

This forum is all about useful information and hope if there is at minimim one chamce to save the case, not for some 1 sec thinking .

expressentryqueen

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14th
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
January 14th
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
03-07-2016
scylla said:
Actually - he most likely does not qualify for restoration and has no choice but to leave Canada. If he submitted the BOWP without AOR then he has been out of status since his original work permit expired and it's too late to apply for restoration. See the link jes_ON provided above. CIC recently changed the rules because too many were submitted BOWPs and work permit extensions when they didn't qualify for them.
Hmmn, ok! I have read the link you referred to and have taken the liberty of copying and pasting below the section that applies to extensions.

Extensions
If the extension is approved, the date of issue shown on the document represents the date a decision was made. Observations in the remarks box of the document indicate that the applicant maintained their status, as per subsection R183(6).
If the extension is refused, the applicant is considered in status until the day the decision is made on their application.
If the extension is rejected (incomplete), the applicant is considered in status until the temporary resident document expires.
Note: If a second application for extension is submitted after the first application and the decision rendered on the first application was
approved, then the new status applies.
refused, and the original permit was still valid when the second application was received, then the applicant maintains their implied status until a decision is rendered on the second application, and the applicant is out of status as of the date of refusal on the second application.
refused, and the original permit was expired when the second application was sent, then the applicant does not have implied status and is considered out of status. (As the applicant’s original permit was expired, they must apply for restoration. The second application was missing restoration fees and would be returned to the applicant for being incomplete)
rejected for incompleteness, then the application is returned to the applicant. The application is considered to have never been received, no implied status is granted, and the applicant will be considered in status until the original temporary resident document expires.

So, my understanding of the parts (in bold) and do correct me if i am wrong is that:
1. If the work permit extension application was refused, the original poster has status until the date the decision was made, regardless of whether his temporary permit had expired or not.
2. If his application had been rejected as incomplete (perhaps because he did not meet the requirements for the work permit extension application, then his status in canada is determined by the date his temporary permit expires.

That being said, in this case OP's work permit expired on March 28, decision was made July 7th. His work permit extension application was denied (not rejected as incomplete) so, he has the opportunity to apply for restoration of status and reapply for an extension, 90 days from the date the decision was made.
Now, in making his second application for extension, because OP is already out of status, he MUST apply for restoration of status simultaneously or his application would be returned as incomplete. Of course, if OP has not yet applied for PR and gotten an AOR, his second application for extension would most likely be denied and this is why many others have opted for a temporary visitor's visa. So they can stay in canada while they await the decision on their PR application. This is up to the OP to decide based on his financial situation.

I make no claim to being an immigration expert. However, i try to offer constructive advice whenever i believe i can make some useful contribution. That should be everybody's aim on this forum.