+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT - When can I work in Canada with my PR status?

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
Hello,

My PR status is as follows: I sent my passport to affix the PR visa, and got it back today.

My current work permit expires June 1, 2009. My company is extending my work permit, but they said there's rule change this year. They may need extra time to prepare it. It might not make it on time.

Do I need to get my PR card to start working without my work permit? But as I read other posting, I realize it will take another month to get the PR card. What is the quickest way that I can continue to work in Canada without extending my work permit? When I go to the port of entry, are they going to give me a temporary paper saying I am eligible to work in Canada?

The immigration letter said I can either go to port of entry or call them to arrange an appointment in Canada, since I have a temporary resident status. Which way is faster?

Any response will help. Thanks.
Dave

mjsantos

Oct 5, 2008
Hi,
The visa you got affixed in your passport alone is enough for you to be able to work.

When will the visa in the passport expire?
Cheers.

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
It expires in May 1, 2010. So I still have 1 year.

If that's the case, Can I get the SIN card with the visa alone?

Thanks a lot
Dave

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
You can get the SIN without PR card i your hand and you can start working. You don't need to wait for PR card, the visa you have is enough.

mjsantos

Oct 5, 2008
Yes, you can. How could you get the visa to expire on May/2010 if it usually expires one year from the date the medical is done? When did u do the medical?

Cheers.

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
Sorry, my mistake. As I read closely, it actually is Jan 5, 2010. It reads "05/01/2010". So, I only have 7 months.

Yes, you are right. I did my medical around Jan 5, 2009.

So do I need to land first before I get new SIN card or no?

Thank you.

LingCounsel

Apr 20, 2009
Hi Dave,

You just need to get landed with your PR visa, then you are legally entitled to work in Canada, don't need to wait for your PR card. You should apply for a new SIN after you have received your PR card.

Where are you in Canada? I'm in Toronto and I usually advise my clients to drive to the US border in Niagara Falls, turn around and get landed at the Canadian port-of-entry. It will take months to book a landing interview inside Canada.

Hope this helps :)

Ms. Ling

rascojenkins

Jul 25, 2008
Go to the closest port of entry and complete Landing formalities, then apply for the SIN card and you'll be good to go untill you get PR card. Congrats and good Luck .

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
Thank you very much for all replies.

Ms. Ling, I am in Toronto. That's what I am thinking. Going to Niagara, pass through the border, then come back.

Original, I thought getting inside Canada is much faster, but if it's not, I will just go to the port.

I should have gone to Buffalo to get my visa affixed. I waited for 3 whole weeks for my passport to come back. I didn't expect it took that long. Anyone who has a passport request should go there in person. It's a pain waiting.

Dave

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
actually it is, but after so much waiting and there's another waiting, it's just tough..

anyways, thanks a lot.

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
Does any body know if I can walk through Whirlpool Rapids Bridge to land? I am planning to take Greyhound to Niagara and the greyhound station is very close to that bridge. Is there a port of entry on every bridge?

Do they open 24 hours?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you go to the border and "land" as a PR, you will also need to get a new SIN number. Right now, you probably have a temporary SIN number, starts with a 9. When you are a PR, you get a permanent one.

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
Yes, I am having one starting with 9.

And what should I bring to landing? the essential documents said I need to bring immigration visa and passport. This is for sure. but things like two copies of a detailed list of all personal or houshold items you are bringing with you, and two copies of a list of items that are arriving later, I don't think I have that. Since I am already in Canada.

And for proof of funds, it says on CIC web that if I have arrange employment, I don't need to proof. So do I need to bring a letter from my current employer saying that I am current working full time?

Thanks,