+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT - What to Bring to a Citizenship Interview?

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
Hi everyone,

I hope you are doing super-great! I hate to title a thread with "urgent" but my procrastination tendencies left me with barely two weeks before my citizenship interview.

The majority of the questions I have are just to re-verify with you guys since I am a strong believer in "better safe than sorry".

For context, my citizenship interview invite says "bring all your original documents that support your citizenship application", which is a bit ambiguous on what it includes and what it doesn't.

Therefore, I am wondering:

1. Should I bring any application material that is not conventionally considered "original" but are in my application package? Like my actual application form, my physical presence calculator, the two citizenship photos, etc. I've never heard of people bringing these to the interview (and logically, the CIC wouldn't waste their time examining something they have in their possession) but they also appear to be supporting documents?

2. Since this is a minor's application, a notarized copy of the birth certificate and its translation was sent with the application. I do have the birth certificate in possession but not its original certified translation (only a copy), which was sent along with the application. Will this present any problems?

3. A similar issue to number 2: I sent the original police certificate along with the application since the document checklist asks for the original. I now only have a copy to bring to the interview.

4. Nowhere on the document checklist nor on the interview invite says passport stamps need to be translated. Photocopy of the biographical pages of the passport was required for the application but not the stamps. However, since following this forum for so long, I will have my translated stamps just to be on the safer side. Since I am doing that, I am wondering does the translation need to be a certified copy? Or can I get the electronic copy and print it myself? Since many translation agencies offer mail services (a physical copy) and an electronic copy, is there one that is preferred? Also, I would love for some agency recommendations, I am currently consulting with: Translation agency of Alberta (even though I am not from there), DocsBase.ca, and Language In Motion (which seems to be more expensive).

As of right now, my complete list of things to bring are:

1. My previous and current passports, PR card, Driver License, Care Card, Service Card (because I can't remember which one I submitted as ID).

2. Translated stamps from both my passports.

3. A photocopy of my police certificate.

4. Original birth certificate and a copy of its translation.

I would be very appreciative if anyone can address these concerns or give me general tips on what to bring. I would also love any insights into translating passport stamps.

Thank you all in advance!

jeuniii

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
All the originals of everything you sent with your application. i.e. All passports, CoPR, PR card and all original IDs. Any proofs of language in their original form. Nothing extra needed.

Dont worry about Police certificate. They will have your file infront of them during the interview.

Reactions: salimnw and Quiches

lawgrrl

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Nanaimo, B.C.
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-22-2013
My interview was through the Vancouver office at Parksville on Vancouver Island. I brought the following:
The original letter from CIC directing me to appear
My passport and BC driver's license (2nd form of ID)
My permanent resident card
My original COPR
THAT'S IT--NOTHING ELSE!
The clerk asked some questions about my time in Canada, work history, and the like. She had my Physical Presence Calculator and reviewed it with me (I had been traveling and couldn't bring a printed copy to the interview). She also had my CBSA record of exits and entries and found one trip that I had neglected to include. Yikes! Fortunately, I remembered the trip and gave her the details. She reviewed my passport stamps for that trip (to Mexico). I had left a cushion for error in timing my application so I still had the required number of days. She didn't ask me for any other documents or information. For the record: I'm a 66-year old Anglo female. Your mileage may vary.

kaladhar

May 25, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
LANDED..........
Feb 3, 2016
I would be very appreciative if anyone can address these concerns or give me general tips on what to bring. I would also love any insights into translating passport stamps.

To address your questions:

1. Yes, take one set of your Citizenship application (photocopy), Your application would prove to be useful if they have any questions about your application and you could quickly verify what you have written. Passport sized photos are not required. :)

2 & 3. If you have already submitted the Originals with your applications, then bring a photocopy just for verification. If it even comes up, you can mention that they already have the original documents. No one would be stupid enough to ask for a second set of originals. You know what I mean? ;)

4. It seems like you've already made up your mind about bringing your passport stamp translations. Check these threads just in case if you find something useful:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/passport-stamps-translation.512214/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/certified-translation-of-passport-stamps.539642/

5. In addition to the list of documents that you're currently taking with you, include these documents:

- Citizenship test invitation letter (Printout of the email)
- Confirmation of Permanent Residency (CoPR - Original)
- If you're a minor, I don't think that you have to worry about language proof requirement or income tax documents from CRA.

I hope this is helpful.
Good luck with your test/interview! :)

Kal

Reactions: salimnw and Quiches

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
OMG, guys how you ever make any decision, and deliver anything in your lives if such a trivial task as following simple and straightforward IRCC instructions causes so much commotion and troubles.

Beside IDs (health, driving, passports, PR) bring the original language proof document. That's all.

Don't bring CoPR, photos, application copy, and other copies.

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
@jeuniii @lawgrrl @kaladhar @sistemc

Thank you so much for your responses! Especially grateful for @lawgrrl for sharing your personal experience and @kaladhar for your extra-detailed answer! They truly have helped me.

@sistemc

I respectfully disagree. Citizenship is a big deal to many of us; it is the culmination of many years of hard work and genuine hope to become a Canadian. I can see where you are coming from, but to me, I'd rather be overly-cautious than to treat a once-in-a-lifetime matter frivolously.
Also, I think we need to bring our CoPR, which is one of the first things they check. I just don't want the answer to mislead any future readers of the thread.

Reactions: kaladhar

kaladhar

May 25, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
LANDED..........
Feb 3, 2016
OMG, guys how you ever make any decision, and deliver anything in your lives if such a trivial task as following simple and straightforward IRCC instructions causes so much commotion and troubles.
We are all here to help each other with advice, suggestions, tips and sharing our personal experiences. Please remember to be mindful and respectful of other people situations! If you're going to criticize or be rude to them, then I think you're in the wrong place. :p

Good luck with your application! :)

Kal

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
All they wanted to see was my passports, PR card and copy of CoPR..that is all. But to be fair, I was prepared to show them more, it was a straight forward 5 minutes interview. But that might be different for others.

Reactions: Quiches

zztop

Star Member
Oct 21, 2017
Just one question if you can help me with. I'm having my test next week. Test invite states to bring: this notice (test invite), 2pieces of personal id, ALL YOUR ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS THAT SUPPORT YOUR CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION (AS LISTED IN THE DOCUMENT CHECKLIST IN THE CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION FORM). My understanding is that doesn't directly require citizenship application ? only if I look checklist for citizenship application it states APPLICATION FOR CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP!

So after I fill out my application I printed it out ,signed and sent it away without keeping any copies with me. My only application is already with IRCC.
Can you advise if you had to bring copy of your application.

Much appreciated.

LauraTschetter

Jul 8, 2017
Just one question if you can help me with. I'm having my test next week. Test invite states to bring: this notice (test invite), 2pieces of personal id, ALL YOUR ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS THAT SUPPORT YOUR CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION (AS LISTED IN THE DOCUMENT CHECKLIST IN THE CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION FORM). My understanding is that doesn't directly require citizenship application ? only if I look checklist for citizenship application it states APPLICATION FOR CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP!

So after I fill out my application I printed it out ,signed and sent it away without keeping any copies with me. My only application is already with IRCC.

Much appreciated.
I took my test in July and didn't bring a copy of the application. Just all the original documents I sent copies of with the application. :) They didn't even look at all of them, but you should bring all your originals. :)

Reactions: Quiches

kaladhar

May 25, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
LANDED..........
Feb 3, 2016
So after I fill out my application I printed it out ,signed and sent it away without keeping any copies with me. My only application is already with IRCC. Can you advise if you had to bring copy of your application. Much appreciated.​
If it makes you happy and more confident with your approach, feel free to bring your Citizenship Application copy as well. I presume that you still have your digital application (pre-filled form), correct? If so, just take another printout, sign it and bring it on your test date! Easy Peasy!

Good luck with your test! :)

Kal

cn2017

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

I hope you are doing super-great! I hate to title a thread with "urgent" but my procrastination tendencies left me with barely two weeks before my citizenship interview.

The majority of the questions I have are just to re-verify with you guys since I am a strong believer in "better safe than sorry".

For context, my citizenship interview invite says "bring all your original documents that support your citizenship application", which is a bit ambiguous on what it includes and what it doesn't.

Therefore, I am wondering:

1. Should I bring any application material that is not conventionally considered "original" but are in my application package? Like my actual application form, my physical presence calculator, the two citizenship photos, etc. I've never heard of people bringing these to the interview (and logically, the CIC wouldn't waste their time examining something they have in their possession) but they also appear to be supporting documents?

2. Since this is a minor's application, a notarized copy of the birth certificate and its translation was sent with the application. I do have the birth certificate in possession but not its original certified translation (only a copy), which was sent along with the application. Will this present any problems?

3. A similar issue to number 2: I sent the original police certificate along with the application since the document checklist asks for the original. I now only have a copy to bring to the interview.

4. Nowhere on the document checklist nor on the interview invite says passport stamps need to be translated. Photocopy of the biographical pages of the passport was required for the application but not the stamps. However, since following this forum for so long, I will have my translated stamps just to be on the safer side. Since I am doing that, I am wondering does the translation need to be a certified copy? Or can I get the electronic copy and print it myself? Since many translation agencies offer mail services (a physical copy) and an electronic copy, is there one that is preferred? Also, I would love for some agency recommendations, I am currently consulting with: Translation agency of Alberta (even though I am not from there), DocsBase.ca, and Language In Motion (which seems to be more expensive).

As of right now, my complete list of things to bring are:

1. My previous and current passports, PR card, Driver License, Care Card, Service Card (because I can't remember which one I submitted as ID).

2. Translated stamps from both my passports.

3. A photocopy of my police certificate.

4. Original birth certificate and a copy of its translation.

Hi, could you tell me what documents they really needed for the interview when you went there? Thanks.

cn2017

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017

Much appreciated.

Hi, could you tell me what documents they really needed for the interview when you went there? Thanks.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
For my case, they only checked ID's, passport and PR card.
But guys, bring whatever you want in addition to the above to the interview if that makes you feel more at ease. It's better to bring extra than not bring enough.