+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT-university professor LMIA

daf450

Star Member
Dec 9, 2019
Hi everyone, i am in an urgent answer for my question please, i really hope you can help :)
and if someone already have been in my situation i hope you can help too :)

I got the job as a university professor, i am now a post doc researcher (they have the same NOC : 4011) i need a new work permit and with a new work permit the LMIA needs to be prepared by the university.

as of my understanding university professor needs an LMIA (FYI as a postdoc my work permit was LMIA exempt)

Now that i contacted the university, they told me that they always used the LMIA exempt form for university professors too! (maybe the person that i contacted was not the right one and does not have the right information)

but before i do anything i want to make sure that it actually needs an LMIA so that i can prove to them so! as presented in this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/academic/apply.html

Do you have any idea?

Thanks a lot!

daf450

Star Member
Dec 9, 2019
I found this text in the immigration website, can anyone help to clarify to me is this text clearly states that for academics who are going to do (research+techning) does not need ESDC LMIA process?

@scylla can you help ?

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/academic.html

""An academic is an individual with at least one postgraduate degree (following a Bachelor's degree) who earns the majority of their income from teaching or conducting research as employees at universities and university colleges in Canada. If your institution is interested in hiring a foreign worker for an occupation where the majority of the job duties are other than teaching or research (in other words management, financial or administrative, etc.) the regular ESDC process for hiring foreign workers applies.""

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I found this text in the immigration website, can anyone help to clarify to me is this text clearly states that for academics who are going to do (research+techning) does not need ESDC LMIA process?

@scylla can you help ?

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/academic.html

""An academic is an individual with at least one postgraduate degree (following a Bachelor's degree) who earns the majority of their income from teaching or conducting research as employees at universities and university colleges in Canada. If your institution is interested in hiring a foreign worker for an occupation where the majority of the job duties are other than teaching or research (in other words management, financial or administrative, etc.) the regular ESDC process for hiring foreign workers applies.""
I don't have the expertise and don't know the answer.

Reactions: daf450

TynVhd

Mar 18, 2024
Hi @daf450,

I see your question was from a long time ago, so you have probably already found the answer. I am in a similar situation. Would you please let me know the correct answer to it?