+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Urgent] Travel without PR Card

andrewmiller

May 20, 2022
I need to travel outside of Canada for a short business trip, but I don't have a PR card. I have been unsuccessfully trying to get the IRCC to process the PR card application (been pending for a long, long time and there have been some internal hiccups). I can apply for a PRTD but since it is a short trip, I don't think I will remain in that location long enough to get the PRTD issued.

I realized that do have a V-1 multiple entry visa that was issued before I became a PR. My question is - can I enter on V-1 visa as a temporary resident (despite that I'm already a PR), with the plan of going to a land border subsequently to re-enter as PR again? This is a pretty unusual situation so I have not found any precedents. Wonder if anybody here knows - thank you in advance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My question is - can I enter on V-1 visa as a temporary resident (despite that I'm already a PR), with the plan of going to a land border subsequently to re-enter as PR again?
What?

If you can get to USA and enter by a land border, you'll be fine with copr and other supporting docs like passport.

Your V-1 or whatever is almost certainly cancelled and not valid for anything

andrewmiller

May 20, 2022
Yea I can certainly go through a land border but the logistics is going to be quite challenging. I don't know if V-1 is automatically cancelled - as people with multiple statuses can choose which status to use (e.g. US citizens can enter without a PR card even they are PR).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yea I can certainly go through a land border but the logistics is going to be quite challenging. I don't know if V-1 is automatically cancelled - as people with multiple statuses can choose which status to use (e.g. US citizens can enter without a PR card even they are PR).
Canada is not the USA.

But if you want to try the other way, go ahead. It's your money.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

I need to travel outside of Canada for a short business trip, but I don't have a PR card. I have been unsuccessfully trying to get the IRCC to process the PR card application (been pending for a long, long time and there have been some internal hiccups). I can apply for a PRTD but since it is a short trip, I don't think I will remain in that location long enough to get the PRTD issued.

I realized that do have a V-1 multiple entry visa that was issued before I became a PR. My question is - can I enter on V-1 visa as a temporary resident (despite that I'm already a PR), with the plan of going to a land border subsequently to re-enter as PR again? This is a pretty unusual situation so I have not found any precedents. Wonder if anybody here knows - thank you in advance.
1. Once you become a PR the TRV is cancelled.
2. No PRTD, you will have to fly into the US and cross at a "land border" your COPR will get you admitted.