+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent**Travel with old PR card while new PR card renewal is in progress

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
Hi all,

I have applied for PR Card renewal in June 2022 and still waiting for new card to come. My old card is valid till Nov 1, 2022. Can i travel with my old card? Any issue, if new card is issued while i am overseas, can i still be able to travel back with old card?

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all,

I have applied for PR Card renewal in June 2022 and still waiting for new card to come. My old card is valid till Nov 1, 2022. Can i travel with my old card? Any issue, if new card is issued while i am overseas, can i still be able to travel back with old card?

Thanks!
First question, definitely yes. Second question: almost certainly, but they will eventually cancel it - I doubt they do it immediately or aggressively, but if they sent it today and you tried to come back on Oct 31 with the old card, I suppose it could happen.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since the PR card is really only needed if returning via a commercial carrier (suspect that the OP will be returning via commercial carrier), unless the Airline is aware that a new card has been issued, it wouldn't be an issue...right? Having a copy of the receipt for the renewal might be a good idea, just in case the airline does become privy to the new card being issued...before the current one would have even expired. If the card is forwarded by the neighbour make sure that it's sent via a courier (FedEx, DHL, etc.) rather than Canada Post!

Might also be worth asking the airline, or other transporter, to see what they say.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Since the PR card is really only needed if returning via a commercial carrier (suspect that the OP will be returning via commercial carrier), unless the Airline is aware that a new card has been issued, it wouldn't be an issue...right? Having a copy of the receipt for the renewal might be a good idea, just in case the airline does become privy to the new card being issued...before the current one would have even expired. If the card is forwarded by the neighbour make sure that it's sent via a courier (FedEx, DHL, etc.) rather than Canada Post!

Might also be worth asking the airline, or other transporter, to see what they say.
There is a mechanism - of course - for government to declare docs like passports marked stolen and share that information with airlines (or in fact airline shared the info with govt before departing and govt advises if there's an issue).

I do not know details. I assume govt can do this with PR cards. I doubt they do it in circonstances where a card has been mailed out recently, and possibly they don't do it at all except for stolen cards.

That's why I said almost certain to not have a problem. But possible. If they do this in practice, i doubt they do it until several months have passed since mailing.

That's why simple step is to have someone check mail and advise if card received. And décide only then instead of worrying about a hypothetical and marking it URGENT when it's not .