+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Travel after Oath

infidel

Dec 17, 2014
Hello guys
I have completed my oath ceremony last wee and am still awaiting my Citizenship certificate. My PR card has been cut as is the requirement during the Oath. Yesterday my mother passed away and I will have to travel in an emergency for a week to India. What are my options? Any advice will be appreciated.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Sorry for your loss. My condolences to you.

Unfortunately, at this stage, there are not too many options. Even if you were to get your certificate on Monday, you would still need at least 48 hrs for the issue of a passport and then another two days minimum to get an eVisa for travel, unless you want to travel to India urgently on your Indian passport then apply for a Canadian PP in India, followed by surrender of Indian PP and then an exit permit to leave India on your Canadian PP, which can possibly take weeks or months.

ar_uw

Nov 12, 2019
If you have a US visa then you can fly back into US on your return. You may not have the citizenship certificate but as long as you have other documents to verify your identity, they will have to let you in through the land border.

Tithimehta

Mar 28, 2023
I have applied for citizenship in dec 2021, gave my test in march 2023, I know oath ceremony will take 4-6 months. Meanwhile I hot admitted in a school in USA, its a2 year full time course, if I receive my oath, I can come and attend it, but then if I want to return to USA will I be able to enter USA based on my Indian passport? (as the certificate of oath takes 2-4 weeks to come in mail and then 20 days for the passport, i won't be able to get so much leave) th

djohne

Star Member
Jan 28, 2019
Hi guys, I'm trying to get an exact answer for someone who is not an Indian citizen. My country allows dual citizenship. I also have an ETA attached to my passport and a US Visa. After my oath when I cut my PR card, would I be able to travel back to Canada on my passport if necessary?

sang1507

Star Member
Mar 7, 2018
I have applied for citizenship in dec 2021, gave my test in march 2023, I know oath ceremony will take 4-6 months. Meanwhile I hot admitted in a school in USA, its a2 year full time course, if I receive my oath, I can come and attend it, but then if I want to return to USA will I be able to enter USA based on my Indian passport? (as the certificate of oath takes 2-4 weeks to come in mail and then 20 days for the passport, i won't be able to get so much leave) th
Hi,
Did you find a response for your situation? I am kind of in the same boat?Response would be useful.

lila777

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
Hi guys, I'm trying to get an exact answer for someone who is not an Indian citizen. My country allows dual citizenship. I also have an ETA attached to my passport and a US Visa. After my oath when I cut my PR card, would I be able to travel back to Canada on my passport if necessary?
Yes, but by private vehicle or by foot.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
You can't board a flight to Canada unless you have a Canadian passport.
Your only option is to fly to the closest American airport and cross the land border.

Not sure how long it takes the agents at the border to verify your status if you don't have a citizenship certificate with you tho...

djohne

Star Member
Jan 28, 2019
You can't board a flight to Canada unless you have a Canadian passport.
Your only option is to fly to the closest American airport and cross the land border.

Not sure how long it takes the agents at the border to verify your status if you don't have a citizenship certificate with you tho...
Forgive my ignorance. I know it takes some time to get the citizenship cert. But they say this is not a valid travel document. Why can't I just use my other passport with the ETA or regular unexpired visitor visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Forgive my ignorance. I know it takes some time to get the citizenship cert. But they say this is not a valid travel document. Why can't I just use my other passport with the ETA or regular unexpired visitor visa.
These will show as invalid when you try to board.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
These will show as invalid when you try to board.
Hi Scylla, is there no way of the person flying off to India....granted it'd be without the relevant Citizenship cert or Passport and then go along to the Canadian embassy and explain what happened, show the cut PR card and maybe get a Temporary Permit to enter back into Canada?

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Hi Scylla, is there no way of the person flying off to India....granted it'd be without the relevant Citizenship cert or Passport and then go along to the Canadian embassy and explain what happened, show the cut PR card and maybe get a Temporary Permit to enter back into Canada?
There is no such way - the airlines won’t accept any travel document other than passport, visa or PRTD (cannot be issued as you would be a citizen).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's impossible to get a temporary permit as either a PR or citizen. Temporary permits are only available to those who are not Canadian.

shayusuf247

Nov 10, 2019
It's impossible to get a temporary permit as either a PR or citizen. Temporary permits are only available to those who are not Canadian.
Hello,

There are many thread on this topic. I want to understand 1 thing..

I am in USA on work visa. My Canadian oath ceremony is coming up shortly (date not issued yet).
Assuming I get permission (from IRCC) to give Oath online from USA and then I get the e certificate online.
in this situation:
1) Is it possible to apply Canadian passport (first time/new) from within USA?
OR
2) Is it possible to travel to Canada with Indian passport + e certificate by a) air or b) by land?

Thanks