+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT - To land or not to land?? Or should I withdraw PR app completely ??

scarborough12

Nov 3, 2015
Hi,

I hv been a silent member of this forum and now facing a rather difficult situation and need some inputs from seniors.
I am temporary resident of Canada and currently on a open work permit living in Toronto for close to 4 yrs. My PR application via EE is almost complete. I have sent my passport(s) for stamping and will receive it anytime this week and yet to complete the landing formalities. Here comes the tricky part.

We are expecting our child soon in about 4 or 5 weeks and I will not get appointment to complete landing at a CIC office before the child is born.
I am not willing to go to the border as there will be too many questions on pregnancy & burden on health care etc even though I am on OHIP for last 4 yrs.. I do not want to risk that at this time.

1. What are the risks involved with my application if I land after my child is born? Per the CIC link, it says clearly "All family members must be examined as part of the e-APR, whether they are accompanying the principal applicant or not. Family members can be added to the application at any time during the process, including after the visa is issued, but prior to obtaining permanent resident status."

So, even after they issue PR visa, I can still declare to CIC about my new born. Am I reading this correctly or is there anything to read between the lines??
What is the process involved to declare a new born? My child will be Canadian citizen.

2. I am also made aware by an agent that I can land at Ottawa office without appointment at Tuesdays. If I go through this route,
can I complete my landing process in Ottawa even though I am from GTA?
Assume that if I do get to complete my landing in Ottawa office, do I still have to inform CIC about by newborn after completing landing?
Will I face any issues to complete landing while heavily pregnant at Ottawa office? Pls note that I am already on OHIP and also have a personal insurance.

I am torn between the options and seek some inputs. Please suggest... Thx in advance...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
In your position, I would head straight for the border and flagpole. Pregnancy is irrelevant to the PR landing process. As long as the child is not born, you are perfectly entitled to land. The moment of birth changes everything, and you may not be able to complete landing. While the child may be a Canadian citizen, you would still have to notify CIC, although the child would not need to be examined. It might however affect other aspects of your application, such as proofs of funds etc.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A while ago, I heard there is a CIC office in Toronto where you can land inland without an appointment but only one day a week. I can't find that post anymore but you can try calling CIC and asking if there is such a place. It would save you a trip to the border. Again, there is no problem landing while pregnant.