+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT! Study permit and work permit question.

pradhuman1821

Oct 12, 2023
Hey, i wanted to ask some questions about my future study plans here in canada. I am currently enrolled in 1 year program ( 1 yr study permit) in nct but i want to take my 2nd year program in canada as well so that i can work for 3 years ( 3 yr work permit).

1. when do i need to take the 2nd year program? can i switch my field of study?

2. what if i want to change my province after 1 yr program, for example like some college in Calgary (Alberta) next year, will it affect my future pgwp and will i be able to get 3 yr work permit?

The main issue that concerns me is will i be able to get 3 yr work permit if i complete my 2 year study in different provinces, 1yr in ontario (currently enrolled) and 1yr in alberta ( coming may 2024).

thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey, i wanted to ask some questions about my future study plans here in canada. I am currently enrolled in 1 year program ( 1 yr study permit) in nct but i want to take my 2nd year program in canada as well so that i can work for 3 years ( 3 yr work permit).

1. when do i need to take the 2nd year program? can i switch my field of study?

2. what if i want to change my province after 1 yr program, for example like some college in Calgary (Alberta) next year, will it affect my future pgwp and will i be able to get 3 yr work permit?

The main issue that concerns me is will i be able to get 3 yr work permit if i complete my 2 year study in different provinces, 1yr in ontario (currently enrolled) and 1yr in alberta ( coming may 2024).

thank you
Yes you can take programs in 2 separate provinces as long as both programs qualify for PGWP and you are studying full-time. When does the 1st program finish?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
my program started 6 sept 2023 and will finish in april 2024
If the next program starts in May 2024 no issue. When you get your LOA I would suggest applying for a study permit extension around 6 months before your current permit expires because processing can take a long time.