+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent,,, stuck in bad situation,,, Airline refused to board (visa and copr valid)

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
What is your wife's country of Nationality if you don't mind me asking?
I know that persons from certain 'high security' countries are not allowed to cross US air even though you might not be actually landing in US. Most flights have to go over US to land in Canada so there is a probability of that being a reason. An air line has no right to turn you away unless there is a blanket rule such as a nationality issue.

I read of a case recently where the person was denied to board the flight due to the nationality and flying over US was prohibited.

This is just a hutch and I could be completely wrong. Im sorry you are going through this. It's a bit ridiculous in my opinion considering you and your family must have gone through security checks during the pr process.

Keep us posted here on the proceedings. My best bet is to call ircc tomorrow and ask for advice on how to proceed.

Reactions: jes_ON and canuck78

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Well that's ridiculous. Can you update us on the reason once you find out? If it's a KLM mess up, better get them to cover your ticket costs.

scargee

May 19, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
29-10-2018
AOR Received.
22-11-2018
Will update once issue is resolved
Please do. I hope it gets sorted out and you get compensated for your missed flight.

saani

Jul 29, 2017
Embassy asked us to send new confirmed tickets,,, which we sent,,, hope they ll resolve it soon

GinoJohn

Nov 18, 2019
Airlines do check immigration status. I have first-hand experience of this.

Some countries (Canada, Australia and probably a few more) require that the airline electronically confirms that a passenger has the proper immigration clearance before boarding. And that is despite you physically having a Visa in your passport. Each country gives the airline access to a secure portal where they can enter Passport #, Name, DOB, etc and they either get a green light to fly you in, or not. This is part of the agreement that allows the airline to service that country and have flight going in and out. Another reason why airlines fiercely enforce this, is because by law, the airline is responsible for providing you a return fare, should you be turned away by customs....

For this specific case, I think that the issue came from IRCC. They airline must have check and not gotten the clearance from the portal that your spouse was cleared to fly in, despite you guys having paper stamps in your passports.... I hope this helps others wondering what business did the airline have checking your immigration status.

I am truly sorry you had to go through this. Hopefully the embassy is able to fix this for you guys. Do keep us updated...

Reactions: rily and mbaleine

saani

Jul 29, 2017
Airlines do check immigration status. I have first-hand experience of this.

Some countries (Canada, Australia and probably a few more) require that the airline electronically confirms that a passenger has the proper immigration clearance before boarding. And that is despite you physically having a Visa in your passport. Each country gives the airline access to a secure portal where they can enter Passport #, Name, DOB, etc and they either get a green light to fly you in, or not. This is part of the agreement that allows the airline to service that country and have flight going in and out. Another reason why airlines fiercely enforce this, is because by law, the airline is responsible for providing you a return fare, should you be turned away by customs....

For this specific case, I think that the issue came from IRCC. They airline must have check and not gotten the clearance from the portal that your spouse was cleared to fly in, despite you guys having paper stamps in your passports.... I hope this helps others wondering what business did the airline have checking your immigration status.

I am truly sorry you had to go through this. Hopefully the embassy is able to fix this for you guys. Do keep us updated...
So in your experience what you think, we approached appropriate authority i-e canadian embassy in my county? Will they resolve the issue as they asked us to submit new confirmed tickets.

GinoJohn

Nov 18, 2019
So in your experience what you think, we approached appropriate authority i-e canadian embassy in my county? Will they resolve the issue as they asked us to submit new confirmed tickets.
Yes, as many suggested either the embassy or IRCC (not sure if you can call from outside Canada). But yes, I believe this has to be resolved by them. The airline did not receive clearance from the Canadian Border agency to allow your spouse to board the plane.

saani

Jul 29, 2017
Yes, as many suggested either the embassy or IRCC (not sure if you can call from outside Canada). But yes, I believe this has to be resolved by them. The airline did not receive clearance from the Canadian Border agency to allow your spouse to board the plane.
I checked with other Airlines and was told that yes they do check for canada and US, but it’s Airline responsibility to get it clear as embassy have 24/7 help line for airlines for such issues. But unfortunately in our case KLM behavior was very unprofessional.

GinoJohn

Nov 18, 2019
I checked with other Airlines and was told that yes they do check for canada and US, but it’s Airline responsibility to get it clear as embassy have 24/7 help line for airlines for such issues. But unfortunately in our case KLM behavior was very unprofessional.
At this point, I am confident you should be able to fly in on your next ticket, especially once the embassy confirms to you that everything is ok.

When I first read your message, my main concern was the financial burden of obtaining a new ticket, that is absurd. Now, armed with the information that the embassy has a 24/7 help line and that you had proper documentation to support your trip, I would go back to KLM and ask them to make this right, financially. It is indeed unprofessional.

saani

Jul 29, 2017
At this point, I am confident you should be able to fly in on your next ticket, especially once the embassy confirms to you that everything is ok.

When I first read your message, my main concern was the financial burden of obtaining a new ticket, that is absurd. Now, armed with the information that the embassy has a 24/7 help line and that you had proper documentation to support your trip, I would go back to KLM and ask them to make this right, financially. It is indeed unprofessional.
We have reported KLM about this, but they said they are investigating the matter. Unfortunately we have to bear all the financial losses, buying a new tickets and cancellation of accommodations.
Embassy still didn’t reply, we have sent them new tickets as asked by them. Hopefully they ll sort it out before flight. This uncertainty is really frustrating for us.

rily

Star Member
Mar 27, 2019
We have reported KLM about this, but they said they are investigating the matter. Unfortunately we have to bear all the financial losses, buying a new tickets and cancellation of accommodations.
Embassy still didn’t reply, we have sent them new tickets as asked by them. Hopefully they ll sort it out before flight. This uncertainty is really frustrating for us.
Are you able to call CIC? You might get the answer right away if you able to call them

saani

Jul 29, 2017
Are you able to call CIC? You might get the answer right away if you able to call them
I tried today to call CIC but couldn’t talk to agent. Will try again tomorrow. Hopefully will get some response from embassy by tomorrow

saani

Jul 29, 2017
I tried today to call CIC but couldn’t talk to agent. Will try again tomorrow. Hopefully will get some response from embassy by tomorrow
How to contact IRCC outside canada? The number which i have saying that now they don’t provide information on permanent residence etc. anyone knows any other number?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Airline ticket should still be valid, you may just have to pay change fees/rebooking fees, not the entire ticket. Check with the airline.

saani

Jul 29, 2017
Airline ticket should still be valid, you may just have to pay change fees/rebooking fees, not the entire ticket. Check with the airline.
We bought tickets at low fare,, now we have paid almost the same amount we paid before. Now the main issue is not tickets, the uncertainty we are facing. Whether the issue is resolved or not, we don’t knw..