+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent : Soft Landing Issue at Canada due to Corona Virus

Mitya-kun

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
Most likely the approval date should be what it shows in your account because that comes directly from your case officer.
Indeed, it is not so clear as to what is considered to be the approval date. First of all, one may think that it is the date when your COPR and visa were issued and your account status changed to approved. But, I think that it might be not so straightforward and the actual approval date is the date when you had received your PPR. For example, my COPR was issued and account status changed to approved on March 13th. However, issued date on my visa and on my COPR is March 6th - the day my eligibility marked as passed. After all, PPR means that your application was approved, right? Furthermore, IRCC stated that those who got their application approved before March 16th will be allowed to land after... but please note that according to immitracker (not absolutely relieable source, but still) there were no PPRs issued after March 16th - i,e, no aplications approved. My guess is that everybody who had received PPR before that date will be exempt from the travel restriction. Which means that it is everybody who has COPR and PRV as IRCC has apparently stopped approving applications waiting for the COVID-19 outbreak to be over.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryeCatcher

idhar_chicha

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Indeed, it is not so clear as to what is considered to be the approval date. First of all, one may think that it is the date when your COPR and visa were issued and your account status changed to approved. But, I think that it might be not so straightforward and the actual approval date is the date when you had received your PPR. For example, my COPR was issued and account status changed to approved on March 13th. However, issued date on my visa and on my COPR is March 6th - the day my eligibility marked as passed. After all, PPR means that your application was approved, right? Furthermore, IRCC stated that those who got their application approved before March 16th will be allowed to land after... but please note that according to immitracker (not absolutely relieable source, but still) there were no PPRs issued after March 16th - i,e, no aplications approved. My guess is that everybody who had received PPR before that date will be exempt from the travel restriction. Which means that it is everybody who has COPR and PRV as IRCC has apparently stopped approving applications waiting for the COVID-19 outbreak to be over.
The approval date is what you see when you login to your GC account in the Final decision and the Status Updated Date fields. Usually both should be matching.

Mitya-kun

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
The approval date is what you see when you login to your GC account in the Final decision and the Status Updated Date fields. Usually both should be matching.
We don't know, whether in the IRCC's statement that 'foreign nationals who were approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but had not landed yet, will be able to come to Canada ' is meant the approval date in the Final decision of the GC account or something else, like the date of PPR, for example. My opinion is that it is the date when your eligibility and backgroud check was marked as passed, because the issue date on all my documents (COPR and PRV) is exactely that date (which is even earlier than PPR).

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
We don't know, whether in the IRCC's statement that 'foreign nationals who were approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but had not landed yet, will be able to come to Canada ' is meant the approval date in the Final decision of the GC account or something else, like the date of PPR, for example. My opinion is that it is the date when your eligibility and backgroud check was marked as passed, because the issue date on all my documents (COPR and PRV) is exactely that date (which is even earlier than PPR).
Hi Mitya,
From the dates in the signature you look all set to travel as soon as the exemptions are put 'in place'! (of course I am far from being any expert, but both your dates are showing on or before 16 March. Nice :)

Mitya-kun

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
Hi Mitya,
From the dates in the signature you look all set to travel as soon as the exemptions are put 'in place'! (of course I am far from being any expert, but both your dates are showing on or before 16 March. Nice :)
Hi, yes, my documents are ready. Initially I planned to land and start my new life somewhere around end of May, but COVID-19 changed not only my plans, but the whole world. Since my COPR and visa are valid until January 2021, I am planning to wait a little bit longer... Hope that situation will stabilize in the following months and then, maybe in autumn or even in winter, I will land at last.

naruto46

Mar 26, 2020
Hi All,

Hope you are safe and healthy!

I have my COPR valid till next month only and was looking to do soft landing and return back to USA. Is it advisable and possible to return to USA same day after soft landing in coronavirus situation! Thanks so much for your attention all forum members. :)

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi All,

I have my COPR valid till next month only and was looking to do soft landing and return back to USA. Is it advisable and possible to return to USA same day after soft landing in coronavirus situation! Thanks so much for your attention all forum members. :)
Am in a similar situation and debating what to do. I think

1. Its best not to travel if can avoid it, the risk is definitely there while the situation remains fluid/developing.
2. The 2 week isolation is serious and it seems like it is being enforced. So if I do go to Canada for the "soft landing", I intend to spend 2 weeks there as requested.

XYZ789

Apr 28, 2019
Hi All,

Hey - hope you’re well too :)

I was wondering, What did you decide to do? I’m in a similar situation and thinking of landing and returning within 4-5 hours, staying at the airport and avoiding the quarantine as i can’t stay back for 14+ days

XYZ789

Apr 28, 2019
Am in a similar situation and debating what to do. I think

1. Its best not to travel if can avoid it, the risk is definitely there while the situation remains fluid/developing.
2. The 2 week isolation is serious and it seems like it is being enforced. So if I do go to Canada for the "soft landing", I intend to spend 2 weeks there as requested.
Looks like the risk of getting stuck in processing for multiple months (maybe getting rejected entirely) for the extension is quite high.

what did you decide to do? I’m wondering if I remain at the airport and get the next flight out (basically within 4-5 hours) it might be okay. Do you think that would work?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Looks like the risk of getting stuck in processing for multiple months (maybe getting rejected entirely) for the extension is quite high.

what did you decide to do? I’m wondering if I remain at the airport and get the next flight out (basically within 4-5 hours) it might be okay. Do you think that would work?
I haven't decided yet, still waiting and reevaluate in a while.
I think if your COPR expired after the March 16/18th travel restrictions are put in place, then my guess is 99% it will be extended (after medicals if needed). As far as I understand (and am not 100% sure) once you land in Canada, you have to spend 14 days in self isolation.

ajayreddy90

Dec 15, 2019
Hi,

I am currently in USA on h1b i94 valid but visa expired. and am planning to do land in Canada and isolate for 2 weeks at friends place. I wanted to know if using AVR to return back to USA through flight after 2 weeks is possible or not? Let me know your thoughts

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi,

I am currently in USA on h1b i94 valid but visa expired. and am planning to do land in Canada and isolate for 2 weeks at friends place. I wanted to know if using AVR to return back to USA through flight after 2 weeks is possible or not? Let me know your thoughts
Yes it is "possible". But the situation is still quite fluid

kapilhere

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
[/QUOTE]
Can you please confirm what do you meant by AVR?